The lord of death

Malika

Coming back home in the car tonight, my conversation with J turned to death... he brought the subject up, I hasten to add. He asked whether our dog Pup would die. I laughed and said yes, everything living eventually has to die. He turned to our dog and said, with genuine sorrow and anger in his voice, "No, Pup, you're not allowed to die! Stay alive!"

Malika

Do you really think so, DDD? Maybe you don't talk about death in the States :) But for a child to begin to encounter the notion of things dying and being shocked by that is, I think, fairly common. I remember it myself - though it happened to me later than J.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Death is not a common topic of conversation with children here, or at least it seems that way to me. Most adults are uncomfortable discussing it with each other, let alone with a child.

I did talk about it with my kids. Oh, not really in any great depth, just mostly answered their questions as honestly as I could and let them voice whatever feelings they had about it. But there weren't many topics that weren't openly discussed in our home. Same now days as well. I felt it far better on most things that I answer their questions than someone else who may or may not give them the answers I'd like them to have.

Sounds like J has some grasp on death. in my opinion a good healthy thing. Can't say I blame him for not wanting pup to go anywhere. I feel the same way about mine. lol

InsaneCdn

Malika... not unusual at all, by standards here... but I think kids sense early on whether topics are "appropriate" or not based on how the parent is likely to react. Obviously, you have an open mind and are approachable on any subject, and J senses that and is at liberty... and THAT is a blessing that will pay you benefits for many years.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I routinely ask the gods to have Nala outlive me. It's somewhat in jest but I genuinely wish I never had to experience her passing.

When difficult child or easy child went through a time when they seemed hyper focused on death, we discussed it but I didn't give it a lot of attention either.

buddy

Unusual, lol .....In young elem days, q not only hyperfocused on death but whether or not people tasted like animals that died. He had learned that meat was muscle and then connected the dots. It freaked an aide out which made it more fun for him to talk about. I finally convinced her to just treat it as any other conversation and it naturally passed. I do think j thinks deeply.