The men in my life (long and getting longer the more I sit here)

mstang67chic

Going Green
.....are driving me CA-RAZY.

More so than normal today. I think I'm pms'ing.

husband was off today and brought his truck to where I work to have the brakes done. We get home at roughly the same time...all is fine. Earlier he told me he had picked up a few things at the store and bought beef and some noodles to make for supper tonight. Normally if I buy that I get the canned beef. Very natural but still canned. (Also very good).

We were barely home when my mom called and I was on the phone with her for awhile. At one point, husband came in and asked when I put the bullion cubes in and I told him that he needed to put them in after the beef had started to BOIL and he added the noodles. (Frozen egg noodles....taste just like homemade!).

Now, I will admit that I was on the phone for a while and I had heard husband asking me from the other room about why my mom called. I was still on the phone at this point and he figured that out when he heard me say something to Mom. But you know....if you have a question about something immediate, come ASK. Then difficult child comes in and asks me if he can have a pop with supper ....I said fine and thought that supper was just about ready. (With the kind of beef I get, it doesn't really take long)

Then I smell and hear cooking meat.

As in FRYING.

And hear husband holler for me. Off the phone now, I go into the kitchen to find husband FRYING chunks of beef. (you know.....like STEW beef.) AND the noodles were already boiling.

Granted, if this is how he wants to make something, that's his perrogative when he cooks. Thing is....he doesn't know how to cook. (This is the same man who asked me to throw the potatoes in the oven to bake after the steaks were half done on the grill) BUT....making it the way he did...he's going to wind up with a pot full of bland mush noodles and a skillet full of crunchy-on-the-outside-raw-on-the-inside big hunks of meat.

I did good though. I have a really big temper with an itty bitty little fuse but I didn't lose it. I was speaking through clenched teeth but I didn't lose it.

He turned the noodles off and put the meat on to boil and I told him I would take care of the rest. I let the meat (half was fryed and half was still raw) boil for awhile even though Mr. Emeril Jr. told me it was done 15 minutes later.

And after I combined the two to cook some more (we'll be lucky to eat by 10) I notice that every single light in the house is on and husband and difficult child are on the couch glued to some dumb a** guy movie. I turned a couple off and asked if anyone was in the bathroom. husband looked at me at first like "huh?" and then got up and turned the bathroom light off. I asked difficult child if he was in his room. That child had the nerve to get all hissy with me for asking him to turn off one light because that is SUCH an ordeal to do. Of course, he's like this 98% of the time (and I'm being generous) whenever you ask him to do ANYTHING that people do.

I lost it.

I told him that there was NO reason to cop that attitude about turning off a bleeping light. We just got a $400 gas bill and if he wanted to get up off his a**, get a job and help pay for this stuff he's more than welcome. Otherwise he can just shut the he** up.

husband wisely said nothing.

I need a drink.

TerryJ2

Granted, if this is how he wants to make something, that's his perrogative when he cooks. Thing is....he doesn't know how to cook.

ROFL! I am sorry, I burst out laughing when I read this.

I feel your pain. Have a drink on me.
Last one out, turn out the lights. ;)

Janna

Ok, pretend I'm telling you about D tossing all SO's tools outside in the snow and remember, seriously, how you were laughing?

Yeah, that's me now! :)

Haha, I'm so sorry. Your story is funny though. I can really empathize, because - your husband sounds just like my SO.

I got the Margarita mix upstairs :)

mstang67chic

Going Green
Pass the salt!

Oh and sorry this is in General. I meant to post in WC and thought I was there but guess I was too ticked to notice.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
husband is afraid of me and the kitchen...
Yeah, I'll join the ladies in a drink!!!
Stang you deserve one or 2!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Must be that time of the month for husband's or the moon or...

Have a nice glass of wine and a bubbly bath dearie :D

DammitJanet

Ok...I wanna know...beef in a can? Where can I find this gem?

I dont like to cook. I am so lucky because Tony and Cory are excellent cook. Unfortunately I lost Cory (did I just say that?) but he is now doing all the cooking at his house now.

Andy

What they do or do not do is not what gets us. It is that attitude they have screaming that they really don't have a clue what they are or are not doing wrong and they can not take one second to flip a light switch.

However, those lights left on help when you have a teenager out all hours of the night. I knew mine was home if a kitchen light was on when I got up in the middle of the night to check on her. I try to use these pet peeves to my advantage, though I haven't found a way to look positively on kitchen cabinets left open. How hard is it to close one of those?

You did do well holding it together. Were you able to salvage the meal? My mother in law was the world's worst cook. She literaly could not get a meal cooked with everything finished at the same time. She would wait until the water boiled (practically watching the pot to grab that first bubble) then peel the potatoes and then wait until the potatoes were done and then start the veggies,ect. No time management or mult-tasking skills what-so-ever.

I hope today is better - just watch out this weekend - something about Super Bowl changes males into even weider creatures.

KTMom91

Parallel universes...what is it with the lights? And the cooking? I asked Hubby to fix dinner the other night...spaghetti. How can you mess up spaghetti?

I'll bring another bottle of tequila.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Actually, it didn't turn out too bad. By the time it was done I was too tired and still stewing so I didn't make anything to go with it but tough cookies, we got to eat. husband kept commenting on how he thought it turned out really well. As I said, I was still stewing at this point and just gave him the look. (You know...you'd think after being married for 13 1/2 years he'd remember the best way of dealing with my temper is to just let me be.)

As for the canned beef Janet....check the aisle with the tuna, canned chicken and such. There is one kind that I usually buy here that you probably can't get in your area. It's kind of a local brand that is Amish made but...who knows, they may sell it out your way. Just look for a large can (not as big as a can of...say...tomato juice) maybe half the height and slightly smaller around as a can of tomato juice for drinking. When you open it there are usually chunks or a layer of congealed grease/fat. I just pick those out and voila...ready to heat. (For beef and noodles, I boil it in just enough water to cover the meat and then add more as needed for the noodles when I put them in) Canned beef and frozen egg noodles......easy peasy and tastes like you slaved all day!!!

Marguerite

We don't get canned beef here... I don't think so, anyway. I don't remember ever seeing it. Mind you, we now have so many varieties of tuna that I don't even go near the tuna aisle any more, we would rather not eat tuna than have to stand there looking at an entire wall of different types of tune with this flavour, tuna with that, so that I'm in an agony of indecision for hours.

But a suggestion (if he ever dares to do this to you again) - with the raw beef, let him continue to brown it, then cover it and let it simmer on a very low heat. For about three hours. Meanwhile, prepare what you intended to prepare then sit down and eat that. By the time you've finished eating, the other bef will be tender and can be put in the fridge so next night you're ahead of the game.

When I was working full-time but had three little kids, I used to do this. I would put a meal on to cook, then while it was simmering we'd eat what I cooked te night before. I'd get the kids to bed, do whatever else needed to be done then get the pot off the stove and chill it. Next night, we'd get home (again) to a pre-cooked meal. It saved me heaps of time and energy.

Mind you, at some stage I had to see a Worker's Comp doctor about my injury, he asked how I coped (being a working mother and all) so I told him my system. The guy was a total chauvinist - the medical report form him (which was designed to make me look bad, but he really went over the top) began with, "She lives the lifestyle of a maniac."

Some men never do get women.

I'm lucky. Mine does. AND he can cook. AND he turns off lights all by himself. Actually HE'S the nag in our house.

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
So I'm sick of snow and cold....humor me! LOL Yes, the beach, no snow....oh yeah...and the fact that you live in AUSTRALIA!!! Gotta love your accents!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
LOL Oh I know....just a change of scenery...you know? But...someday husband and I will get to Australia. We both really want to go and have our spots we want to see. I think husband wants to see Sydney and I want to go to (?) Monkey Bay and see the dolphins.

Of course MM...you're more than welcome to give my husband cooking lessons! LOL

K

Kjs

LOL...I know I joined in on this late. boy it feels good to not be all alone. I can relate.

In our house, husband cooks everything forever. On the lowest possible temp. Do you know how long it takes to brown meat when you have it on WARM.!!

Rannveig

OMG, I normally just lurk, but this was so funny I just had to post. "She lives the life of a maniac" -- that's a classic! About Marg -- who's, like, the coolest, nicest person on the entire continent of Australia, if not the entire Southern Hemisphere (in my humble opinion)!

And (more) seriously, about the lights. I was brought up always to turn off the light when you leave a room with nobody else in it. But I cannot get this idea through my husband's head, and consequently the kids don't take me seriously about it (lowest common denominator and all that). The thing is, we live in a place where we don't pay for electricity, no matter how much we use. I still think we should turn off lights for the good of the planet, but I just can't get any traction. If anyone has found an effective way to teach this habit/value, I'd love to hear it.

As for cooking -- well, I was bedridden recently, so my husband had to do all of it. He made everything arrive at the same time, but in portions fit for a fairy-tale giant. Of course the kids nibbled, and huge amounts from their plates had to be thrown away, and of course I ate everything (remember, I'm the one who doesn't like waste resources) and gained several pounds. :sick:

With love and laughs to all, Ranny