The most FRUGAL thing you've done/did in your day?

Pink Elephant

Anyone else ever experience the joy of washing clothes and things (by-hand)?

I have. Only happened a few times, but nonetheless, I have experience doing laundry the old-fashioned way. Thank heavens for the modern day automatic washing machine! :)

Pink Elephant

Whoops-a-daisy... just noticed I started a reply to this thread but must have gotten side-tracked and never finished it, but when I responded to Apple's, post, up came the auto-save, which was lost in time. :)

Tanya M... Estherfromjerusalem... Littleboylost... GoingNorth... I know each and every one of you have old-fashioned cloth diaper experience. Please tell me I'm not the only one here who pinned a kids rubber pants in my day? LOL!

BusynMember

Pink......that would not have ever given me an ounce of pleasure lol. Washing floors dont give me pleasure. Washing a sink.is not fun or rewarding to me...lol.

Sorry...not my type of happiness. Pink I did no diapers rubber pants or safety pins. Dirty work when not necessary, when it can be done just as well in a cleaner faster way makes me happy hehe. I am even happier when Im finished.

Pink Elephant

Pink I did no diapers rubber pants or safety pins.
Oh, but SOT... had you and Apple, been neighbours of mine, I would have hit you two up for babysitting all the time! LOL!

ROFLMAO!!! I can see it now... SOT and Apple, arriving at our house to babysit with Pampers in-hand from their own homes!:p

Last edited:

KTMom91

Most of my shopping is frugal; I tend to buy things looking at cost per wear rather than the initial price. For example, I wear Birkenstocks. I have several pairs that are over twenty years old, and I have them rebuilt rather than buying new. I'd rather pay $120 for a pair of shoes that I know will hold up over the years than buy a pair for $20 that will hurt my feet and break down in a month.

I've had to drag Hubby, kicking and screaming, into this mindset. He looks at initial cost, but if you're replacing those shoes every month or so, and your feet hurt besides, what exactly is being saved?

Pink Elephant

Most of my shopping is frugal; I tend to buy things looking at cost per wear rather than the initial price. For example, I wear Birkenstocks. I have several pairs that are over twenty years old, and I have them rebuilt rather than buying new. I'd rather pay $120 for a pair of shoes that I know will hold up over the years than buy a pair for $20 that will hurt my feet and break down in a month.

I've had to drag Hubby, kicking and screaming, into this mindset. He looks at initial cost, but if you're replacing those shoes every month or so, and your feet hurt besides, what exactly is being saved?
Absolutely, 100% agree with you, KT! Happy feet are so important. Money well spent.

Estherfromjerusalem

Pink -- I hate to disappoint you, but I certainly don't remember pinning the rubber pants when the elastic went.

On the other hand, I do use disposable aluminium trays, and I soak them and wash them and use them again and again.

Aluminium -- British spelling, deliberate!!!

And I have NEVER EVER hesitated about flushing the toilet. It ALWAYS gets flushed, and always has got flushed. Even though my country has a problem with water conservation, there are two buttons there on the water tank above the toilet (don't remember what it's called) for flushing, one stronger than the other, so that as little water as is necessary will be used.

Love, Esther

Pink Elephant

Esther. And here I thought out of everyone here, you would have been the one to match my frugalness in that department, knowing you were a dedicated old-fashioned didy user, too. LOL!

I remember my mom pinning rubber pants on siblings, so as a mom I carried the practice forward.

Yes, I reuse tinfoil pans and trays and things, over and over again, for as long as I can/for as long as they last. I really do dislike throwing anything out, at least not until I've gotten every last drop of use out of whatever it is I'm using, and then and only then do I part with it. :)

beyondthecliff

I think this was from the "Cheapskates" show...but there was the lady that made her family use torn up rags to wipe after using the restroom - number 1 and 2. Then they had to put it in a bucket at the side of the toilet, and she'd wash and re-use them. She apparently had done a calculation that her family was spending several 100$ a year on toilet-paper, and decided to save that money.

I'm all for saving money, but that one was just too much for me!!

Pink Elephant

OMG, OMG, OMG... I absolutely LOVE your avatar, beyondthecliff! That has got to be the most adorable thing I have ever seen! So sweet!

I remember that show. Having raised my kids in cloth diapers, I think I could do it, but being honest with myself, I much prefer the alternative that comes on a roll. :)

By the way, welcome to our friendly home! So happy you joined!

The Watercooler is a happening place around here... always lots of fun and interesting conversation to be had.