The phonecall, the appointment, the announcement ...

TerryJ2

Last night easy child's boyfriend, K, called husband to set up a dinner appointment at a sushi bar nearby. He lives an hr and 15 min. away.
husband said his voice sounded shaky.
He's going to talk to husband about getting engaged to easy child.
But ... they want to live together in Richmond. Bad idea. easy child is going to grad school at Geo Wash Columbian School of Art Therapy, and hr and a half away and thinks she can take the train.
We told her that she needs to focus on school, and taking the train or driving in Difficult Child traffic is a nightmare for anyone, but when you're on deadlines and crunchtime, it is not doable.
So, husband will say yes to the engagement part and no to the living together part ...
It's possible K may have a ring, too. One of his acquaintances was engaged last yr and bought his fiance a huge, $5000 ring. Two mo's later, she broke it off, and gave him back the ring. K is hoping to negotiate the price. That's what easy child says, anyway. She wanted to know if that was a bad thing to do, as in superstition, etc. (and this, coming from a psychiatric major, lol!) I said no, it's good business!
Stay tuned.

BusynMember

Congrats!!! You *do* have a easy child and her boyfriend is also a big easy child. Most of the time you hear about the marriage plans from the kids themselves and if they want to move in together, you find out about that from the kids too...lol. "Hey, guess where I'm living now...."

Keep us on top of the latest :)

DDD

Fingers crossed all goes well. It's great to read a easy child post, lol. Hugs DDD

StressedM0mma

How exciting!!! I think it is great that her boyfriend wanted to ask permission. husband and I were engaged 22 years ago (man I am OLD) and he never asked my dad.

susiestar

Roll With It
Keep us posted!!! I hope they can accept not living together or find a place near her school where he can commute instead.

For the ring, it is great business! If possible, let him know that the markup on jewelry is at least 300%, meaning that if the jeweler pays $100 the retail price will be $400 = $100 cost and $300 markup. I have a relative on Dad's side who is a fifth generation jewelery store owner. He and my dad and all their other cousins grew up on the same block and though Dad knows nada about jewelry, I learned quite a bit. He should also be aware that the value he could get from selling that ring would be way less than what his friend paid for it. Esp at a pawn shop. HE might want to go look at a few pawn shops to see the prices of the wedding rings there. It is a shocker.

DammitJanet

Well, if they want to live where she can take the train but be close enough to Richmond to accommodate both of them...I recommend Fredricksburg. The train ride wont be bad for her and the ride for him wont be bad either. I know, I make that trip a lot and its a good mid point.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Bahahahaha! LOL well, I'm waiting too...

husband asked my Dad - AFTER I cleared it with Jett & Onyxx. Then down on one knee, huge production in the middle of Red Lobster with the kids & my parents. It was awesome.

InsaneCdn

Oh sure... it would be fun to peek over your shoulder and see what you're painting... like, some nice wedding scene? a house with a picket fence? Like THAT will take your mind off the situation... <wink>