The potential to rival the blizzard event Dec 2008

Andy

The last paragraph is:

THIS STORM SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO RIVAL THE BLIZZARD EVENT OF MID DECEMBER 2008 WHICH SEVERELY IMPACTED MUCH OF THE AREA.

So, I am sure this will head somewhere after it leaves us - watch out! This is starting to remind me of labor pains. Mostly forgotten from one pregancy until the first twinge of one in the next.

POWERFUL WINTER STORM EXPECTED TO IMPACT THE AREA...
.A MAJOR WINTER STORM SHOULD IMPACT EASTERN NORTH DAKOTA AND NORTHERN MINNESOTA WITH THE POTENTIAL OF HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WINDS FROM MONDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ACROSS THE AREA LATE SUNDAY NIGHT AS WARMER AIR IS DRAWN UP AHEAD OF THE DEVELOPING STORM. SNOW SHOULD CONTINUE TO INCREASE IN AREAL COVERAGE DURING THE DAY ON MONDAY AND PERSIST THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT.

DURING MONDAY NIGHT... NORTHERLY WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN SPEED AS A SECOND ROUND OF HEAVY SNOW IS ANTICIPATED. THIS COMBINATION OF WEATHER ELEMENTS SHOULD RESULT IN BLIZZARD CONDITIONS OVER THE DEVILS LAKE BASIN... THE RED RIVER VALLEY... AND MUCH OF NORTHWESTERN MINNESOTA. VISIBILITIES SHOULD BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN THESE AREAS. THE FORESTED AREA OF NORTH CENTRAL MINNESOTA IS EXPECTED TO EXPERIENCE SLIGHTLY LOWER WIND SPEEDS AND SOMEWHAT HIGHER SURFACE VISIBILITIES. THUS... A WINTER STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THIS AREA. WIND CHILLS ACROSS THE REGION TUESDAY NIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO FALL INTO THE DANGEROUS RANGE OF 30 BELOW TO 35 BELOW.

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS A LARGE PART OF EASTERN NORTH DAKOTA AND NORTHWESTERN MINNESOTA.

WITHIN THIS AREA... LOCALIZED SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 16 TO 20 INCHES MAY OCCUR IN PORTIONS OF NORTHWESTERN MINNESOTA. THE EXACT TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW PRESSURE IS STILL SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN. A DIFFERENCE OF ONLY 50 MILES IN THE TRACK OF THE STORM CENTER WOULD SHIFT THE POSITION OF THE HEAVIEST SNOW BAND.

THIS STORM SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO RIVAL THE BLIZZARD EVENT OF MID DECEMBER 2008 WHICH SEVERELY IMPACTED MUCH OF THE AREA.

Marguerite

Hang in there, Andy. I hope you don't need to go out for a few days for anything.

The closest we've ever experienced as "blizzard" would probably not qualify, in your experience. The temperature was only about -5C, for a start. Visibility was still about 10 metres, we were out in it, tobogganning (just feeling our way back along the fence).

Even the heavy snowfall we experienced in NZ wasn't a blizzard, it was just prolonged moderately heavy snowfall that went on and one and on... and probably would have been fairly routine for you.

Marg

DammitJanet

LOL!

What is so funny is that last monday we were in the low 30's with the prediction of snow here. Who knows what the next week will bring.

Andy

:rofl:

Janet, What do you mean about "who knows what next week will bring?" I already told you that I am sending our storm your way. Duh, you are going to have a blizzard! Hahahaha

:rofl:

KTMom - I'm on my way over. That is my idea of perfect weather (I like my weather on the cooler side - not cold, just a tad cool).

Wiped Out

Staff member
Andy,
Stay safe and thanks for sending it to Janet instead of our way!!!;)

We are getting rain, snow, sleet, and freezing rain today. It has now turned to all snow. However, by Tuesday they are calling for a high of 50.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Andy, I suspect there are cries of surrender from many who have had enough from Old Man Winter.
I have been walking the beach and playing with the pups in the Gulf this weekend.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You had better hunker down Janet!
So glad you are not sending it out here!
Upper 70's all week here!:beach::bbq:

Stay safe! I was talking to my mother in law and they had Tornado warnings all day... Outside of Chicago, N.E. Indiana.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope it fizzles out too. And please don't send it our way. We had mid 70's all weekend and now I really have the bug for spring!!! Too bad it's only supposed to be in the 40's the rest of the week.

Stay safe and warm.

Hugs

Andy

Diva refused to babysit today. Good for her. Her friend and friend's boyfriend were suppose to drive 30 miles into the storm to school. Schools all around were closing as were businesses but this college of science remained open. Just like in December, they had finals today and students were told it would be an automatic F if they didn't show up. OMG, the professors must live in the buildings themselves? Department of Transportation was advising NO TRAVEL! I think students can fight this stupid rule.

Anyway, Diva stayed home. At about 9:00, the storm had still not arrived so I decided to go into work. I wish I would have gone in at 7:00. I worked until about 11:15 when I was at the front reception area faxing and photocoping. As someone went into the unit facing East, I caught a good glimps of the wind. That was it for me, "I am finishing up with this Outpatient project and heading home."

I was very surprised how much snow had accumulated within the last two hours. The drifting was the dangerous part though. The South lane (the one I drove on) seemed to be worse. I made it home with no problem and was glad to be home.

The neighbor boy came over after 12:00 and stayed until I sent him home at 6:30. I had gone out to get the mail not too much earlier and decided that he should go home before dark. Besides, being a school night (I hope) it is good to not have company for awhile before bed time. I think there will be school tomorrow even if it may be two hours late.

difficult child had just started a batch of caramel rolls when neighbor boy called so he asked that he come to our house. 1 1/2 hr later, difficult child paused in his play to form the caramel rolls and let them raise. We cooked them at about 6:00. Then I sent 1/2 the batch with difficult child over to our next door neighbor's house when the friend left. I called ahead to let her know they were coming.

Diva then asked difficult child to make a loaf of bread. He looked at the time and said, "Too late - I will not be awake at 9:00/9:30 when it is done." We reminded him that unlike the caramel rolls, he did not have to do anything with the bread when it was done. So he started the loaf and Diva took it out of the machine when it was finished.

It is super dangerous out this afternoon/night. Plows have been pulled, freeway closed, wind chills to 45 degrees F below zero. Being stranded could be life threatening. I am so thankful that Diva doesn't want to go out in this (like she did in December! Wonder what happened to get this healthy fear of the weather?). That means a very good nights sleep for me not waiting up for her (not that I am awake all night, but I do check often) so I am heading to bed to enjoy it.

And Janet, I am sorry! I feel so guilty about threatening you. I will not send this one your way. No one should have to deal with it, especially my CD friends. I hope you have good weather.

dreamer

please stay safe! we had surprise warm 63 F today & have serious rain flood issues right now & now wind in gusts even over 50 mph. by morning it will be in teens or single digits. becuz of the floods there's concerns trees & poles might topple