"The Secret"...and difficult child

klmno

Do you think difficult child would be old enough to read this? He'll be 15yo in Jan and is in 9th grade. He's in Honors English because he has a good vocabulary and can think of pretty creative sories, but honestly, I think his actual reading is a little behind- he hates doing it which doesn't help. Wasn't there a movie about it? Or was that just a mini-version to convey the concept?

I'd like to get him something (he'll have to wait until he's released to actually get it) that would help him think positive and believe in himself but be interesting for a boy his age. He isn't religious so I can't go that route. I tried a book last year about a boy who struggled and came through a lot but he didn't get into it and never read it- I think it depressed him.

Marguerite

My own opinion of "The Secret" is fairly cynical. Not that it doesn't work, but it's taking sound common sense and wrapping it up in mysticism. in my opinion, so don't flame me.

That doesn't mean "don't give him the book" but from what I've seen of it, it might still be too 'factual' in its prsenttion for me. For something similar (which I'm also cynical about) which could be an easier read, try "The Celestine Prophecy". Although Celestine does tend to push the "our secret to living right is so dangerous, other governments are trying to stop us" type of paranoia. However, there are some useful ideas in it (again, gleaned from various philosophies and religions around the world).

With both books - I would consider using them as perhaps a starting point, a source of discussion on what works to help us get along in life with other people. Encourage a healthy critique of the presentation method perhaps, or of the alternative sources of the same ideas (do some research after reading those books, find out where those ideas previously existed). But considering your aims of trying to give him something positive to work on, it could be good. As long as he doens't get too caught up in either book as being "the only truth".

Marg

klmno

Oddly enough, sometimes he does read the Bible and I have raised him to believe- I won't get religious- I just want to say that we do believe in spirituality and that each person has a right to believe their way in that "Truth". (But we don't go to church regularly and aren't real caught uup in a particularly way of faith.) My goal is to help reinforce the positive feelings, confidence in himself, and belief in his dreams that he has been able to form while incarcerated. I want to do what I can to help him think positive and stay motivated, instead of becoming depressed and shutting down and giving up. And since he has difficulty with peers- he's insecure in that area and feels inferior a lot- if there was a movie and/or book that somehow linked positive thinking while encouraging smiling, charity work, anything social, I thought that would be helpful.

All ideas are appreciated!!

klmno

Oh great- thank you! I will look into that!

If anyone has any other ideas how to meet this objective, feel free to throw them out here!

DammitJanet

How bout the chicken soup for teens books or...Cory loved My side of the Mountain and the sequel to that when he was that age. I dont remember what it was about other than a boy and a bird...lol. And a mountain!

klmno

You know, there was a book that difficult child read and really got into-I think it's the only novel he's ever read that wasn't a school requirement! Of course he was in juvy last year and bored to tears. LOL! I'll have to ask him the name- it was about an older boy who had no one but his father, I think, and he was on a small plane that crashed and left him alive but isolated out in the woods and he had to figure out how to survive alone. I wonder if the book you mentioned might be similar- I'll make a trip to the bookstore and look at that one, Janet.

Steely

I think The Secret could be too complex and esoterica l for him. It is one of those books that you read only if you are the one who bought because you are the one who wants to change your life. You know what I mean? It is kind of hard to grasp as a casual read, you really have to want to apply it. Maybe the teen version is a little more grass roots?

One author that I really just got into is Sherman Alexie. He is fantastic! He wrote a book for teens that won an award, (I can't remember the name, but you can look it up) and I just read his book Flight. All of his books are written like a teen would write, and all the stories mirror his real life about growing up. But they are sage, wise, and you instantly relate to what he is saying. Any age reader would get into him. I actually sent one to Matt, who never reads, just because it is such an easy book to get into, and yet so powerful and meaningful. I felt like he would really be able to relate to the struggle Sherman had growing up - but not be depressed. He is a hysterical writer.

Hope that helps.