the summons

Sunlight

my older son found the summons in the cop computer and emailed me a copy. it is on the way to ant by mail apparently. they filed it 8-7-07. charges:
-fleeing and eluding a police officer
-DUI
-DUI with highest rate BAC
-driving with a BAC greater than .02 while license is suspended
-habitual offender

the hearing is 9-4-07
Nick and I are not telling ant yet til the summons arrives, problem tomorrow or monday?? no sense having him freak out today.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
How bad is his past record???

Does this mean automatic jail time for him? It sounds pretty bad. Even without a past...

I am so sorry for you and him. I know that he did this to himself... but I still feel for him, I am sure he doesn't "want" to be in this situation. Just doesn't know when/how to stop...

I hope he handle the *news* ok.

Sending some strength and hugs, to get through this.

Sunlight

past 3 DUIS all underage. this one could mean up to 5 yrs in state pen, and up to 10K (more) in fines. he will not take it well. hence I will not tell him today. If the papers come to my house I wont tell him til Monday or more. he has a history of running away when faced with hearings.

been a bit teary eyed myself since I saw the copy of the summons that his brother emailed me. impending doom sort of thing. meanwhile ant is having company for dinner and he made stuffed peppers. he can wait to hear it.

I believe it will be 3 yrs in jail for him. he already spent the past 6 in and out of lock ups. sigh. hard to face it again.

gottaloveem

Deep Heavy sigh.......

Well I guess it wasn't forgotten about. I'm sorry your mommy heart has to be broken again. It looks like some serious charges. He has never gone to a state pen before, has he?

I'm am really nervous how he will take it. You must be a wreck.

Sending cyberhugs and keeping you and Ant. in my thoughts.

((((HUGS))))

DDD

First and foremost....I'm sending caring hugs your way.

Secondly, they are just letting him stay at home until the Court
date?????? Even when he is on probation??????

I don't understand "the system". Period. DDD

Lothlorien

never a dull moment, is there?

So sorry, Janet. He's only got himself to blame. Guess he just wasn't ready to deal with the real world, yet.

saving grace

So sorry Janet, My heart is breaking, just breaking.
I cant even come up with anything to say. I am an Ant fan, I know he has it in him to get well I just wish he would stop sabotaging his efforts, its like he is afraid to succeed.

Grace

KateM

Oh, so sorry to hear this.What a roller coaster ride these difficult children can be! And us moms are along for the ups and downs of it all.

Hugs and support to you! I know you have a strong faith;I hope your faith sustains you.

Sunlight

DDD this is a new county. ant has been in three county jails, never state pen. this county doesnt know he is on probation. Nick said it can get lost. Nick also said the PO may not know til ant doesnt show up for his scheduled sept 11 visit. sigh.

slsh

member since 1999
Janet,

I'm just so sorry.

Sending gentle thoughts your way, and will keep ant in my thoughts - may he find the strength to face what may come with grace.

donna723

Janet, I am so sorry it has come to this.

In all honesty, I truely believe that Ant will adjust better and be happier in a State prison than in a county jail again! County jails are all different, but most of them are the pits. They get virtually no help, nothing to do but sit around all day.

A state prison is an entirely different thing. Ours is like a whole little self-contained town on 53 acres! We have a school, post office, chapel, hospital, library, recreation, team sports, more liberal visitation, etc. And most importantly, they almost all WORK! They have real jobs and can use the money they earn to purchase commissary items or to send home. They don't just sit all day with nothing to do. And another big advantage to doing the time in a state institution is that they can earn sentence credits for working and for good behavior that takes time off their sentence.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Don't know how PA is on the habitual offender charge, but here in Indiana you can easily get 10-30 years for that charge alone...now consider that time is usually cut in half when served with good behavior in prison....

Hope he gets a good Public Defender who can get him a better deal...and hope he can level out and not run.....If they send him to a state facility its usually better because they can have jobs or at least something to do, county jails are the pits.....

Thinking of you during this time.....

ck1

Janet: I can't imagine how sick you must be feeling right now...while awaiting impending doom. Hopefully, Ant won't make it worse by running, either way it's up to him.

I like Donna's positive comments above, maybe that could help you find some peace??? Take care of yourself, Cathy

Sara PA

The good news is that the "habitual offender" likely refers to the PA vehicle code, not to what is normally considered a "habitual offender" that gets you sent to jail for decades. PA has a statute that says a "habitual offender" is defined as
any person whose driving record shows that such person has accumulated three convictions for the separate and distinct DUI in a period of five years. Punishment is revoked driving privileges for five years.

Unfortunately it seems like it's the only good news. (((HUGS)))

mum2JK&TH

Janet, I am at a loss for words. All I can do is go back to your signature and believe that god has a plan.

(((HUGS))) to you and to Ant.

Stella Johnson

Doesn't sound good for him. I was really hoping he would hold it together after he got out last time. Hopefully he will face the punishment like a man instead of running and making it all worse.

Steph

donna723

Here we have a "Habitual Offender" charge and then another that is "Habitual Traffic Offender".

The "Habitual Offender" charge is extremely serious and usually means at least three SERIOUS felony charges in the past like murder or rape. The inmates call it "The 'B*tch" because in many cases it can mean a Life sentence.

"Habitual Traffic Offender" is a completely different less serious charge, which is probably what they are referring to with Ant.