The things we do/did as moms...

Pink Elephant

Was just having a laugh at how desensitized I was to dealing with icky and yucky messes when my kids were little.

Cleaning up puke, changing dirty diapers, wiping snotty noses. It's all in a days work for moms, but having been away from it for some time now has me somewhat recoiling over the thought of.

Anything you remember doing back in the day/recently (mom related) that makes you cringe?

For me it's how I used to hold my kids diaper pins pinched between my lips at change-time, yet I thought nothing of it at the time. Granted, for us older folk, it was a developed and learned habit that most older moms that used cloth diapers, did.

Also, dunking and rinsing-out poopy diapers in the toilet, which I'd wring-out by-hand, no gloves, before depositing them in the diaper pail. My hands were a mess... always red, chapped, and sore.

Moral of this topic, motherhood is not for pansies. LOL!

Last edited:

KTMom91

Vomit. I hate the smell. When Miss KT was little, the phrase, "Mommy, I have to yak" sent me into a screaming fit. "Run for the bathroom, run run run!" I can't handle cat yak, either. I deal with it, but I don't like it. Adult yak, now, is a no. A definite no. Hubby was sick not too long ago, and I had to apologize and leave the area. I was getting sick, too.

Pink Elephant

Vomit. I hate the smell. When Miss KT was little, the phrase, "Mommy, I have to yak" sent me into a screaming fit. "Run for the bathroom, run run run!" I can't handle cat yak, either. I deal with it, but I don't like it. Adult yak, now, is a no. A definite no. Hubby was sick not too long ago, and I had to apologize and leave the area. I was getting sick, too.
Oh, KTM, as much as I came here sounding all brave and all, I run from puke, too! LOL!

BusynMember

I hate puke.

My kids didnt puke often. But at Head Start, when I worked there, a little girl started puking on the bus where I was an aide. I held her as she puked. She puked all the way home. She was almost the last stop.

As soon as I got home I ran like a crazed person to the shower. Yuk.

Lil

My son was the best puker ever. Really, I know how stupid that sounds, but he'd just go to the bathroom, puke, done. No screaming and crying. No missing the toilet! He was great! LOL!

But gross as puke is, snot is my arch enemy. It literally turns my stomach to see snot jokes in movies or little kids with runny noses. I was completely unable to use the little suction thing on him as a baby - thank God my ex was capable of that - and as far as I know, my kid has never learned properly how to blow his nose...because I couldn't teach him. Just...no. :sick: Talking about it is making me a little green.

AppleCori

I can do all things with my own kids, but with other peoples’ kids—no way.

A few years ago we were in Yellowstone with my brother, sis-in-law, and their oldest grandchild who was around four or five years old at the time.

My brother and his wife went somewhere or other and the rest of us were looking at Old Faithful himself, waiting for it to erupt on cue, when his grandson told me he needed to spit out his gum or whatever was in his mouth. I didn’t want him to spit it out on the ground and I didn’t have anything for him to spit it in, so I told him to wait till the geyser went off and we would find a trash can.

He whined and complained for the next few minutes and after the event, we started to leave and by then he had a mouth full of goopy spit. He showed it to me because he was having a hard time keeping it in his mouth, and I started gagging and almost threw up right in front of a bunch of other tourists. I mean, I was literally retching, but I managed not to actually throw up, luckily. My hubby was shocked, because I had a young child myself as well as three adult kids, and he had never seen me do that.

I was in worse shape than the kid was.

Pink Elephant

My son was the best puker ever. Really, I know how stupid that sounds, but he'd just go to the bathroom, puke, done. No screaming and crying. No missing the toilet! He was great! LOL!

But gross as puke is, snot is my arch enemy. It literally turns my stomach to see snot jokes in movies or little kids with runny noses. I was completely unable to use the little suction thing on him as a baby - thank God my ex was capable of that - and as far as I know, my kid has never learned properly how to blow his nose...because I couldn't teach him. Just...no. :sick: Talking about it is making me a little green.
I raised my kids the same way I was raised... (SNIFFLING NOT ACCEPTABLE). When one of us kids sniffled, even once, mom would quickly say, "go blow your nose". I practiced the same with my kids, and to this day listening to a kid or adult sniff back snot in their nose not only irritates me, but I find it to be juvenile.

It's as if some people can't think for themselves. Runny nose, I'm sniffling, but instead of blowing my nose, I think I'll just keep sniffling like a 6 year old. I don't know about anyone else, but when my nose needs blown, I scramble to blow it, because I can't stand the uncomfortable feeling of a loose nose.

Pink Elephant

I can do all things with my own kids, but with other peoples’ kids—no way.

A few years ago we were in Yellowstone with my brother, sis-in-law, and their oldest grandchild who was around four or five years old at the time.

My brother and his wife went somewhere or other and the rest of us were looking at Old Faithful himself, waiting for it to erupt on cue, when his grandson told me he needed to spit out his gum or whatever was in his mouth. I didn’t want him to spit it out on the ground and I didn’t have anything for him to spit it in, so I told him to wait till the geyser went off and we would find a trash can.

He whined and complained for the next few minutes and after the event, we started to leave and by then he had a mouth full of goopy spit. He showed it to me because he was having a hard time keeping it in his mouth, and I started gagging and almost threw up right in front of a bunch of other tourists. I mean, I was literally retching, but I managed not to actually throw up, luckily. My hubby was shocked, because I had a young child myself as well as three adult kids, and he had never seen me do that.

I was in worse shape than the kid was.
Yep, me, too... I was much better at dealing with yucky and messy things with my own children than I was with other people's children. I sometimes think to myself, how did I do it back in my babysitting days. For me (I think) the money won-over. No babysitting, no money.

BusynMember

Pink...it would never cross my mind not to sniff. I do sniff lol. My kids, even dogs sniff...lol .I have no understanding why it would offend anyone to sniff nor do I think it bothers most people. I dont carry tissues and havent touched a hankie for decades!!!

Things people do that REALLY bother me are:

Spitting in any way, either to let out saliva, plegm or tobacco. There is no polite way to spit.

Smoking anything in public, cigarettes, vaping or pot.

Wet coughing without turning away and covering mouth.

I also think, ironically, that blowing your nose publicly can be gross and to do it in a bathroom or away from others. Sounds like a foghorn lol. ;

Belching loudly, farting in public on purpose (ick!), or other such noises.

But sniffing?

I dont even notice. Maybe loud wet sniffing is gross, but most people just sniff quietly.

So again we part company. ;)

And again that is okay.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Pink...it would never cross my mind not to sniff. I so sniff lol. My kids, even dogs sniff...lol .I have no understanding why it would offend anyone to sniff nor do I think it bothers most people. I dont carry tissues and havent touched a hankie for decades!!!

Things people do that REALLY bother me are:

Spitting in any way, either to let out saliva, plegm or tobacco. There is no polite way to spit.

Smoking anything in public, cigarettes, vaping or pot.

Wet coughing without turning away and covering mouth.

I also think, ironically, that blowing your nose publicly can be gross and to do it in a bathroom or away from others. Sounds like a foghorn lol.

Belching loudly, farting in public on purpose (ick!), or other such noises.

But sniffing?

I dont even notice. Maybe loud wet sniffing is gross, but most people just sniff quietly.

So again we part company. ;)

And again that is okay.
I'm pointing to my own upbringing as to why I have such a hatred for people (and kids) who sniffle. Sniffling is the result of wetness, which needs to be expelled, so why anyone would carry on sniffling instead of eliminating the problem with a quick blow, is beyond me. I never sniffle, ever. The slightest hint of my nose needing blowing, my nose gets blown.

Like when you have to go #1. Do you keep on holding it? Even after your bladder calls out to you and tells you, "I'm cramping", do you keep on holding it in? Then why would anyone keep on sniffling back wetness in their nose? I just don't get it. There is no reason whatsoever to sniffle if your nose is clean.

BusynMember

I dont see a quiet sniff the same as public peeing and dont always need to blow my nose to clear it. I just dont see the big deal here and understand that we are all different. People sniff usually quietly all the time around me and I dont give it a second thought. And wont.

I am not comfortable blowing my nose in front of other people.

BusynMember

PInk, if you met me, I would sniff...lol. i dont see anything wrong with it. I wont pay enough attention to sniffing to stop and I wont carry a handkerchief and blow my snot loudly in public! Not happening.

Lil

Jeeze, I had no idea my aversion to snot would cause such a rukus! LOL!

fwiw, Of course you should blow your nose - but if it takes you a bit to get to a tissue or excuse yourself from polite company to do it, you're going to sniff...that's facts. Better than letting it drip!

Now I'm all nauseous again. :sick:

Pink Elephant

Jeeze, I had no idea my aversion to snot would cause such a rukus! LOL!

fwiw, Of course you should blow your nose - but if it takes you a bit to get to a tissue or excuse yourself from polite company to do it, you're going to sniff...that's facts. Better than letting it drip!

Now I'm all nauseous again. :sick:
Yeah, but there's a difference. SOT, would sniffle on purpose, just because she knows it irritates me. LOL!