The tragedy in Haiti

Mattsmom277

Nomad, there is a church one block away from my house. In the paper today was an article. 20 local families, church members, together have raised millions over the past decade or so, to do things in Haiti. They have (had) churches, orphanages, schools, medical centers, first ever childrens hospital, etc. They built them all with the funds raised in this super small church community. They have one staff member that remains not accounted for. They have lost 2 staff. The rest are struggling to find a way to be of help. The members that are local here and not actually in Haiti have raised a large amount of money to send over to their staff to do what they can. Sadly, there is no way at this time to transfer the money INTO haiti via any type of bank. So those staff that are there, have no funds accessible to them. They are struggling to survive the same as the Haitian people. Stunningly, not one has asked to be brought home for the time being. Even without access to any money, even knowing the growing security risk, even knowing they are at a loss to secure food, water, medical for themselves, clothing and a secure safe place to sleep, they are all dedicated to staying for the long haul.

That is, to me, the face of courage. My heart bleeds.