The Tragedy in Japan

TerryJ2

I'm glad the headcount here is good.

OMG, the photos ... I cannot imagine the panic of not being able to contact people. (Actually, I can ...)

Scary about the missing trains.

Fingers still crossed about the nuclear power plant.

H

HaoZi

This is not a flippant comment, but... It seems that apocalyptic movies start off with Tokyo in flames. This reality of same just scares the SNOT out of me.

Please - anyone affected - let us know you're ok. Hound and I are "landlocked" so we only have the news to go by...

Reminds me that I wrote a post-apocalypse poem for a college class long ago that ago contained a similar image. :S
My thoughts have been with them since I heard about it. I think they fared better than CA would have. Was listening to news this morning talking about how we engineer the buildings but don't think about the possibility of flooding, etc. I'm like "Didn't Katrina teach you people ANYTHING?"

KTMom91

I know CA is nowhere near ready for anything like this, and even though we're long overdue for "The Big One," I think many of us are getting too comfortable, me included. I'm originally from the Bay Area, I used to live right near the Hayward Fault, I should know better...but being in the Valley for so long has really dulled my sense of urgency.

Found out last night that my cousin and her husband, who taught ESL in Japan several years ago, had been living in Sendai at the time. Fortunately, all of their friends have been accounted for.