The Tragedy in Japan

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I woke up to the mega earthquake, tsunami's (sp) and fires on my computer screen.

Oh. My. God.

My prayers go up to those poor people in Japan. Any members we may have living in Japan please check in and let us know you're ok. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but I've not even had my first coffee.

Those to be effected by this please check in with us when you can. My prayers and thoughts go out to you all.

I'm still rather speechless at the moment.

(((hugs)))

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This is not a flippant comment, but... It seems that apocalyptic movies start off with Tokyo in flames. This reality of same just scares the SNOT out of me.

Please - anyone affected - let us know you're ok. Hound and I are "landlocked" so we only have the news to go by...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Step.........not to scare you more but most apocalyptic predictions include much of what we've been seeing lately including dramatic weather changes and the disasters such as what just hit Japan.

The west coast and hawaii are supposed to be effected by the tsunami. Not sure who all else.......China was also effected by the quake.

KTmom and others on the west coast plz let us know any news.

((hugs))

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Step.........not to scare you more but most apocalyptic predictions include much of what we've been seeing lately including dramatic weather changes and the disasters such as what just hit Japan.

...I know... Not overly religious, but starting to wonder.

Mom2oddson

I woke up to the same news and was saddened by the destruction. Then it dawned on me that husband was supposed to be there right now, but things worked out so that he could stay home. If was such a relief to know that he was safe in his bed here at home. But he has a lot of co-workers over there right now.

Step - I had the same feelings of dread. Between the weather in Australia and all the earthquakes, it makes one wonder. It also reminds me that I need to get my earthquake kit back up and running. If a major one hits here (and the news keeps saying that we are so over-do) I'm not ready.

A few years ago, we had a wind/snow storm that caused power-outages and road blockage for a few days. All the grocery stores were empty and gas stations were running out of gas. Can't imagine what it would be like after an earthquake. Scary indeed!

My prayers are with the people of Japan.

Star*

call 911........call 911
i'M GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE MOM2ODDSON....they said your area was going to get hit hard.....phew/whew.

I guess people were seeing "Oh 5'-6' wave" but forgot that you ADD that to the normal tides of whatever it is - 3-5' and that's coming it at 500mph. in Hawaii. Hopefully by the time it gets to the West Coast it won't be so.

GCV Mom - YOU NEED TO CHECK IN - I bet you are trying to reach your MOM......Let us know how it's going.

ANYONE ELSE COASTAL _ CHECK IN!

Prayers with everyone in Japan and anyone affected by this disaster.

shellyd67

Prayers. Kiddos want to join a relief effort of some sort. Proud that they care ! So sad for all the people devasted by this disaster !

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I think the tsunami waves are not going to hit south of Santa Barbara - they have been reporting some damage to the docks at one of the local beaches, but nothing really disasterous right now. Hawaii also had a quake last night.

Definately really scarey for us in Ca cause we know we are overdue.

And am questioning the sanity of people who build a nuclear power plant in Japan where three tectonic plates intersect, knowing the likelyhood of quakes on a definate ongoing basis. But having said that, we have San Onofre nuclear power plant south of us

Marcie

cubsgirl

My Dad is in Japan right now. Fortunately, we received an email from him. He is ok but his description of what happened is frightening.

He called it "a really scary day". My Dad is very unemotional - if he says it's really scary, it would probably be called "downright terrifying" by myself!

Praying for all those affected.

TerryJ2

I'm glad your dad is oka, cubsgirl!

I've been to Japan so I know the main island. This is so, so, so sad.

I wonder if this type of disaster isn't part of the reason they are so into Shintoism/Buddhism, so that they can go on with life more easily each time things are destroyed. I will have to look it up.

KTMom91

Miss KT said that Santa Cruz Harbor got some damage...that's about 15 mi from where she's going to school. She's been home this week, but is going back tomorrow.

TerryJ2

Oh, no. I hope they can keep this under control.

Today 2:15 PM Situation At Nuclear Plant 'Worsening'
BBC News reports:

The situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima seems to be worsening. Japanese authorities are now to release radioactive vapour to ease pressure, AP news agency reports. Engineers are trying to fix the cooling system to the main reactor, damaged in the quake.
Japan's trade minister, Banri Kaieda, says authorities are nearing a decision to release radioactive steam from the Fukushima nuclear reactor in a bid to ease a build-up of pressure, AFP reports. Thousands of local residents have been evacuated.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Pretzeling, praying, beads are out and I'll get chicken livers on the way home.

Hoping my kids' distant relatives in Japan are OK... Unfortunately, I don't know who they are, so I have no way of knowing. But I do know their Grandma who lives near us is probably praying nonstop.

JJJ

brother in law's relatives (who my sister got to meet a few years ago when they went to Japan for their honeymoon) still haven't check in with the American relatives. One set is in part of the country where they weren't hit but another aunt is right there.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Keeping body parts crossed and praying throughout the day. These people are not catching a break. The nuclear power plants are scary to the nth degree. And now a second one has them mega worried. Like one wasn't bad enough.

Mary I'm so glad Miss KT is far enough to be safe where she is.

My Mom's close friend Iko returned to Japan last I heard.........mom hasn't heard from her in several years. She was the first person to pop into my head when I first saw what was happening this morning.

Cubsgirl I'm glad to hear your Dad is safe.

Hugs

DammitJanet

I found the buildings to be quite fascinating the way they sway. CA should really look into that. I had to laugh at my local news tonight. Myrtle Beach is officially Tsunami prepared. Evidently they have passed some official test and only so many cities in the US have done so. I guess they are doing good...if one should come their way...lol.

JJJ

My sister called. Most of the relatives have checked in and they are fine -- didn't even feel it. The only relative not accounted for yet is senile and in a nursing home so they are waiting for one of the Japanese speaking relatives to be able to get through to the home.