The worst report card you'll ever be proud of!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee difficult child had parent teacher conference last night.

His report card hoovers. Badly. When compared to his peers on grade level, he's a kindergartener, at best.

BUT - his marks in all specials (art, music, library, pe) are WONDERFUL! His marks about his own behavior and effort and responsibility are stellar. The teachers' comments about him going above and beyond and TRYING are astounding.

Next year, his curriculum will be modified and he will be graded based on that instead of the "regular" curriculum. This year, they graded him based on 2nd grade expectations. He's straight up failing everything.

But I could not be more proud of my little man!:D

Last edited:

klmno

Hey- Way To Go!! This actually will (at least should) go a long way regarding accommodations. When my son stopped being viewed as a behavior problem in school and was still showing difficulty, the sd had to acknowledge the need for accommodations and the attitude changed so much toward him that this is when he started really improving. So, it is actually better to have those low grades with the efforts being acknowledged until you know you have adequate help for him.

house of cards

I would be proud of that as well. A few pat on the backs for you, too. It isn't easy to keep someone's self esteem up when he struggles against so much but you obviously have. Behavior, effort and responsibilty have alot to do with his future success, may he keep it up.

Christy

Great attitude. That is wonderful that difficult child can do so well in specials and is making an effort on his behavior! I've never put much stock in report cards since my son is so atypical.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Awesome!!!
This was K's first year of "failing" despite her being in TAG and being capable of doing above level work, if all of the stars were aligned! LOL
But now with her accommodations she is seen differently, so she is doing well according to her issues.
Everything is adapted now to fit her, it is so much better. But it is by no means easier, just fit better for her.

moonglow

Wee difficult child had parent teacher conference last night.

His report card hoovers. Badly. When compared to his peers on grade level, he's a kindergartener, at best.

BUT - his marks in all specials (art, music, library, pe) are WONDERFUL! His marks about his own behavior and effort and responsibility are stellar. The teachers' comments about him going above and beyond and TRYING are astounding.

Next year, his curriculum will be modified and he will be graded based on that instead of the "regular" curriculum. This year, they graded him based on 2nd grade expectations. He's straight up failing everything.

But I could not be more proud of my little man!:D

I sure understand how you are feeling..:) do pour on the praise! Do it now because as he as school gets harder and harder he might not keep trying so hard and give up.

That is my concern. I went through school with a major learning disability...which is probably what your son needs to be tested for and the anxiety could be easily being caused by him not being able to keep up. I got no help for mine...and it really crushed my self esteem. I went through school never giving up...at least not until that last year when I resorted to cheating to get some kind of grade other then an F on a test..:(

Its also common for kids with ADD or ADHD to have an Learning Disability (LD) problem too.

My son showed the same signs as having a Learning Disability (LD) too so when he was young enough..about the same age as your son's, I first got him tested at the local mental health because the school wouldn't do it. Later when we moved and he started a new school AND I had him repeat first grade because he wasn't reading at all..he wasn't remotely ready for second grade at all...finally they accepted those tests and did their own and finally he got and IEP and a learning disability teacher worked with him and in the first year he went from being below a kindgarden level...he increased his reading two grade levels. :)

The problem with scoring your son on a lower grade level is he isn't learning. Its going backwards and while his grades will 'appear' better, they won't really be and he will fall further and further behind his classmates every year. Its actually lying about where he really is grade wise. Its putting a bandage on a cut but not treating the cut and it will get worse. I mean if they do this when he is in sixth grade...lower his scoring to first or second..third grade..that just makes no sense. I don't even see how a school can legally do that actually. To me it almost sounds like they are avoiding doing what really needs to be done and that is test him for a Learning Disability (LD) and get him the help he needs and it needs to be done before he gets further and further behind his classmates too. You don't want him one day graduating with fake good grades when he is being scored on a grade school level. He couldn't begin to take any collage classes or get work very easily. The long term damage of this would be incredible actually. :(

Sometimes school will try their best to not do the testing on kids because it cost them money..and the child getting the extra help costs them money...some parents on here even in the past have had to get a lawyer to force the schools to do an IEP for their kids. Part of the reason for this battle is the government is suppose to pay for these kinds of costs but usually only pay 10% of it. And with the huge state budget cuts, the schools are being hit the hardest right now. They have to keep cuts down. But your son, by law, has the legal right to be educated..not given false grades. That means he needs and IEP in place so he can truly learn...for the sake of his future.

I am sorry to be such a kill joy...I think you still should be very, very proud of the great effort he is putting in. That IS something to be proud of, he is truly doing his best...but the school needs to do there best for him also.

Julie

susiestar

Roll With It
That is a WONDERFUL report card!!! totally deserves a donut for each grade, totally!!!!

He is doing so well. I am so thankful that you were able to find the right help for him. The doctor here in OK was a part of the puzzle. the school's efforts once they got a clue are also great.

Many hugs and kudos to YOU for persisting until they found the ways to help him!

LittleDudesMom

I think it's a great report card as well! When my difficult child was in second grade, academics were the last thing I was concerned about. I just wanted him to be happy and maintain. That weegfg finds happiness and ease in the specials is wonderful. difficult child told me that no matter what type of day he's had, or no matter what mood he's in, art always calms him down.

Kudos for your difficult child for working so hard on his behavior and finding some pleasure at school. We all know how tough it can be for our kids.

Sharon