The worst thing about a colonoscopy...

ksm

Is the prep...drinking awful things...taking pills that make you go and go...the feeling of doom that you won't make it to the restroom on time...no food for an extended time...then you get to have an IV...

But the absolutely worst thing? When the doctor checks your chart and says, I don't understand why you are here? Your records indicate you were to have the next one in 2019. WT???

I told him, I did not make the appointment, your staff called me and scheduled it!

So...I had my colonoscopy...found and removed a polyp. Next time 5 years...

Ugghhh

KSM

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Oh KSM...

I think this week will go down in history....for better or worse! Well..your free..for 5 yrs!!!

Enjoy something yummy for you!!!

ksm

And to ad insult to injury...I will have to pay my copay for the facility...and the physician...

KSM

KTMom91

I agree with you.

Hubby is actively avoiding scheduling his. The doctor's office called, I gave him the message, he ignored it, the office called again, I told them he didn't want one but maybe they could convince him, and gave them his cell number. Hubby was not amused.

pasajes4

I had to prep for an entire week. I was on liquids for meals, pills, go lightly (not), and some nasty stuff in a bottle twice a day. The actual procedure was a cake walk except that it was incomplete. It turns out that I have a freakishly long colon and they were unable to view the last third. I was then sent to radiology and pumped full of gas and had an iv of contrast in order to do a virtual colonoscopy. Oh the humanity. My best guy friend had taken me for these procedures and was treated to the sounds of passing gas with every step I took. It was so humiliating.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
KSM
Good thing you had it anyway since they found a polyp!!
I had my first one last year (4 years late). I put it off too.
I had mentally prepared myself for the worst so it wasn't all that bad.
I thought the worst part was when I woke up during the procedure and saw God knows what on that screen! Then I realized what was going on! I for one, do not want to see my innards!!
I was ravishingly hungry afterwards and a bit week but done for ten years!

ksm

Colonoscopies arent that bad...I just didn't like having it 2 or 3 years early!

My first recollection yesterday was drinking grape juice! I don't remember coming out of the procedure room, sitting up, anyone talking to me... Just drinking grape juice!

I had a good nap when I got home. Went out for supper.

KSM

Lil

Wow must be the time for it. Just had my first - I kept telling the doctor NO for three years - two weeks ago. The stuff they had me drink wasn't bad. Dissolved completely and was tasteless in water or juice. But 18 cups of the stuff between 4 p.m. and bedtime! I surprisingly didn't have to get up in the middle of the night more than once though.

Worst part for me - before the procedure the doctor is doing background and asks me what I do for a living. I tell him. Before he leaves the room he starts asking me for free legal advice about his child support!!! :eek: Really???

AppleCori

It indeed must be colonoscopy season!

I'm getting mine in October.

Too bad we all didn't get together and coordinate our schedules!

We could have cheered each other on through the starvation and yucky drink drinking time.

Even swapping bathroom stories could have been fun!

Alas, maybe next time!

susiestar

Roll With It
After the nightmare endoscopy I endured a few years back, I have flatly refused to do a colonoscopy. It took me six MONTHS to recover, and the first 2-3 days were some of the worst pain I have ever endured. As bad as my system can be on its own, I won't mess with it this way unless things get a LOT worse.

I feel for you all who have gone through this. You have my sincere sympathy.

Lil

Who decided all this crapola happens at 50 anyway? AARP starts stalking you and doctors think they need to look where no one has gone before. :thumbsdown:

I'd actually forgotten that I missed work the next day because I apparently overdid it afterwards, ate too much, hiked too much (went mushroom picking and got lost), because I was in horrible pain the night after and ended up sitting in a fetal position on the couch all night until about 5 a.m. Other than that, the experience itself wasn't that bad. Not good, mind you...

pasajes4

My next colonoscopy is due in 10 years. It will be a virtual colonoscopy which is awful. You still have to prep, but you don't get knocked out for it. You just get pumped with air and have a tube stuck where the sun don't shine. Your stomach hurts like crazy and you pass gas like crazy for 3 days.

pasajes4

You have to be able to respond to their directions to move this way or that way. The tube inflates or deflates as needed.

Lil

Wow. Put me down for ANTI virtual colonoscopy. No friggin way. Jeeze. The thought gives me the shivers.

They told me come back in 5 years if there was anything "pre-cancerous" and 10 years if there wasn't anything. Lucky me, two polyps and they were 50/50...one pre and one not at all. I personally think that should buy me 7 1/2 years, but they don't seem to agree. :rolleyes:

AppleCori

There's a good joke in there, Lil, (post # 14) but I won't go there.

Actually, I did, but I erased it.

Anyway...

The virtual sounds worse than the regular!

Hope I don't have an extra-long colon. At 5'2, probably not, but you never know.