Therapist recmmendation

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by avivawasser, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. avivawasser

    avivawasser New Member

    Can anyone recommed a doctor who can evaluate my 12 grade son to see if he has ODD? I am looking for someone in the St. Louis, MO area.
  2. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Hi and welcome.

    For a myriad of reasons, we don't specifically recommend doctors, hospitals, schools, etc., on this site. As a matter of fact, we don't use proper names at all. We are not professionals, just parenting our "difficult" kids. We do have a private message system on our site and many members do correspond personally via that way. Someone in that area is always welcome to use the pm system to discuss the subject with you.

    What makes you think your son has ODD? 12th grade is kinda late in the game to look at a diagnosis like ODD. Most of us here have found that ODD more accurately describes an umbrella group of behaviors that coexist with mental, emotional, or behavioral diagnoses. Once those underlying issues are addressed through therapy or medications (or both), the ODD symptoms can improve.

    Can you get a referral to a therapist or psychologist from your son's pediatrician, family doctor or internist? Do you half a medical college locally? That's usually a good place to start of they have a psychiatric dept.