therapist treating wrong kid!

Ktllc

Yes, that's right. V's new therapist was scheduled to see him at school this week. She ended up going to my other son's school and having a little session with my oldest! :dont_know:
The teacher thought it was scheduled... so she went along (easy child was also crying at that time because of another classmate, just kids' stuff).
So after talking with easy child's teacher, I then called the new therapist office and talked to therapist directly about the whole confusion...
She says she knew from the start it was the wrong kid but since easy child was crying she thought she'd do a little session with him.
I'm not sure what to think of all that. She meant well, but I don't think anyone should be able to talk to my kiddo without my expressed permission.
She tells me easy child was fine after the session and that he is very bright and enjoyable. DUH!! You just talked to the most well adjusted kid on earth! And yes, he was fine because nothing was really wrong to begin with (easy child tends to cry easily when there is a conflict, probably because conflicts are so rare for him).
She then offers to have both V and easy child during some sessions to kind of help with what we are going through...
Thanks, but really easy child and difficult child get along quite fine. easy child is just wonderful when things get rocky and he actually protects his brother a lot. I know it is a big responsibility for a 6 year old, but he handles it pretty well right now.
What is this woman who wants to fix problems that don't even exist???

Malika

Hmmm, frustrating (and rather absurd - I understand how she might have got the wrong brother, I suppose, but the wrong school??) You must now feel depleted confidence in this therapist. What do you plan to do?

Ktllc

like you said: ABSURD! I really have no plan anymore. Sometimes I feel like i'm surrounded by dummies... She'd better impress me next week when V and I go together, otherwise I might just rely to my common sense and the board power! H*** with all the therapies that don't seem to help but force me to over analyze things and stress me to a max (scheduling nightmare). I'm afraid to lose control but come to realize I have no control on anything to begin with. I don't know....

Steely

Umm............time to move onto a new therapist. That is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE. She sounds dense, and disconnected from reality. Move on to someone who can get it all straight.
Sorry :(

JJJ

NO WAY! I would drop that therapist. She completely overstepped her bounds. She had no right and likely was legally prohibited from speaking with the wrong child. I would also speak with the teacher and clarify that unless she hears it directly from you that NO ONE is to speak to your child.

Malika

like you said: ABSURD! I really have no plan anymore. Sometimes I feel like i'm surrounded by dummies... She'd better impress me next week when V and I go together, otherwise I might just rely to my common sense and the board power! H*** with all the therapies that don't seem to help but force me to over analyze things and stress me to a max (scheduling nightmare). I'm afraid to lose control but come to realize I have no control on anything to begin with. I don't know....

Ktllc, this sounds like the point at which things come to crisis, break down and realign themselves with a positive energy!! You may be surrounded by dummies. Thankfully you are not one and you have the resources and ability to see what is going to work for V. Sorry it has to be such a hard battle for you but then... It just ain't ever easy, is it?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'd be finding whoever it is to file a complaint. She canNOT talk to ANY of your kids without your permission! WTH was she thinking? I agree - find another person - because this one clearly has no problem overstepping bounds...

buddy

Unbelievable, but very believable.... so exhasuting to deal with the dummies out there. The only thing I can see she at least did not do is say...oh,you are the wrong kid, and even though you are crying and upset... go back to class........ if for whatever stupid reason I arrived at a wrong place/wrong kid....and then had a child come to me crying.... I might try to support them, just only around that issue, remind them they have the teacher to help etc.... not therapy though. Just what any adult should do if a crying child comes to you. Did she really go into therapy mode? She better not charge for that! lol

Yup, I am pretty forgiving, but really... how in heck did that happen? How did she get the names mixed up??? It is just amazing to me

B

Bunny

She says she knew from the start it was the wrong kid...

That right there should be a clue. She knew that she was seeing the wrong child, but continued to have a session with him anyway? I'm sorry, but that raises red flags for me. If she overteps her bounds at the beginning, what will she do when she has more of a bond with difficult child? I would look for someone else. To me, this is a trust issue and she would have lost my trust.

InsaneCdn

The more I think about this situation, the more it bothers me.
Maybe - just maybe - the therapist has an agenda, and therefore had an ulterior motive for seeing the "wrong" kid...
Like - maybe she thinks the problem is YOU and your parenting style, and is looking for evidence she can use as ammo?

I could just be paranoid. (it kind of comes with the territory sometimes).
But... It is not logical that this would have been an "error" or "mistake".
This was PLANNED.

I know of cases where the therapist came to the school and got the wrong one of a pair of identical twins... which you can see happening... but wrong SCHOOL? planned.

Ktllc

Insane, my paranoid side did think of it as well!
But then, she had never been to V's school and she thought that the little back building of the elementary was Head Start (which obviously is NOT Head Start but simply more elementary class rooms).
I am not going to make any decision today, husband and I will talk more about it when he gets home over the weekend.
There is a lack of resources where we live and it does scare me a little to ended with no help whatsoever.
But the more I think about V, the more I believe we have the wrong diagnosis. His Occupational Therapist (OT) finally realized that V is playing her and that is not afraid of all the exercises, he just does want to do what he is asked. Everything gotta be on his own term.
sensory processing disorder (SPD) strategies don't work at all, but autism strategies do: picture schedule, helping with transition and new events, walking him through social interactions, keeping things simple and predictible, explaining people's intentions.
Sigh... thank you guys for being here! It helps MY sanity.