Therapy Dogs

I was watching the news last night, and they had a segment on Service/Therapy dogs for autistic kids. I had not heard of this before and was really impressed. The story was about a boy, probably about 13, and his service dog that he took everywhere with him. At school he also had a paraprofessional to help with certain things.

The benefits of the dog were to help him to get to his classes, help him in crowds of people, with sensory issues (brushing the dog, etc), and many other things. His mother said after getting the dog they were able to eat at restaurants, he was able to sleep through the night (which he had never done before), and he had a best friend (which he had never had before). The dog provided a sense of continual comfort and prevented a lot of outbursts and rages. It was very touching.

Anyone ever heard of this before or know about this? My son has not been diagnosed with autism, but I thought it may provide an avenue of hope for some out there.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I know a dog in general would be good for difficult child II but my parents are anti-dog and feel with all the yelling and commotion, the dog would bite and be a nut case. Plus if I do move, as I am hoping to, I would not be able to have a dog :O(

My boss has a companion dog , and my co-worker, who is blind, has a service dog. They are both wonderful, well-trained animals. Because my boss is a high level quadriplegic, I help take care of her dog - walking her, feeding her, etc. All I can say is that her dog works as a therapy dog for me as well. I meet lots of people on the street when I walk her and I can say without reservation that she is one of my best friends :) I look forward to her greeting every day - and I can certainly see how having such a dog would be wonderful for some kids!