There is a bed open

rejectedmom

difficult child called and said that the prison counselor told him that there is a place for him in a halfway house in the nearby city. He gets out on Sunday. So difficult child won't start out in my neighborhood (I was having anxiety over this) but will still be only a half hour away. I reminded him about his court fees and he said that since he maxed out they went away. I told him that I didn't think it worked that way and that he needed to find out for sure. He said that he was going to visit his old PO on Monday and ask about traveling out of state and court fees etc. I reminded him to ask for his medications and he said that he would only get whatever was left in his blister pack that they would not guarantee him a month's supply. That just irritates me as it takes 6 weeks for him to get his medical card. He also told me he is off everything but his Prozac. I'm glad of that as I never agreed with the BiPolar (BP) diagnosis.

I do have a question for you all: husband and I had bought a bike for him at the salvation army for $20 Should we give it to him right away or hold off. It is a really nice bike and he really could use transportation around the City but it is also something he could sell. -RM

DammitJanet

Im glad he found a bed.

About the bike, is there any public transportation where he is going at all? If so, I think I would keep the bike for a little while. Maybe the first month or so to see how he is doing.

rejectedmom

There is public transportation but the passes are very expensive and you have to register to use the system so he won't have access at first. -RM

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
He completed his sentence with prison. It's probably one of the only things he's ever completed. I'd give him the bike right away.

Suz

witzend

I'd give him the bike right now, too. It's only $20 out of your pocket, and he'll need a way to get around. Be sure to get him a lock, too.

rejectedmom

Thanks, I will get him a lock. I doubt he will have it for very long given the neighborhood he'll be living in but at least he will have the option of getting around a bit quicker than if by foot.

Suz, he did complete HS and has a diploma. But his sentence is the only thing he has completed since then. -RM