There is a turtle in my bathtub.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Bitey-face aint just a Boston Terrier game. Gryphon, my last German Shepherd, and Jakey the cat used to play it.

I called it "Rattlesnake" because of the striking motions both critters made while Jakey tried to grab Gryph by the tongue or lip, andd Gryph tried to grab Jakey by his entire head.

Sound effects were horrific, too. On one occasion, Jakey succeeded in biting clean through Gryphon's tongue. The hallway looked like there had been a pig-slaughtering in it. Once I got the bleeding stopped and cleaned Gryphon up, all I could see was two neat little holes.

What I'm currently trying to figure out right now is where 9lb Squeaky learned those UFC moves she uses on 18lb Thomas, whom she regularly body slams while wrestling.

donna723

My Bostons don't sneeze much but Katy and Trace both do the "reverse sneezing" once in a while. I think most Bostons and other smooshy faced dogs do it. They do a series of hard powerful inward snorts, so hard that their sides sink in. It looks like they're choking or have something stuck in their nose. It can be quite upsetting to see them do it if you don't know what it is. Harmless really. They stop on their own eventually. Or you can take your finger and press it over their nostrils which forces them to take a breath through their mouth and that stops it.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Reverse sneezing is actually a birth defect. The cartilage rings that hold the trachea open are either malformed or not stiff enough. As a result, with exertion, or stress, the trachea partially collapses under the increased strain of breathing.

In very severe cases, puppies are so compromised that they do not survive the neonatal period.Dogs with reverse sneezing should not be used for breeding under any circumstances as the condition is hereditary.

The problem is associated with the short, "pushed in" face so desirable in many toy breeds. It could be eliminated by a combination of not breeding dogs with the problem, and breeding for dogs with a longer and lower set muzzle. Doing this would also prevent a lot of the dental problems these dogs are prone to.

donna723

It's something that is EXTREMELY common with Bostons. My little guys don't do it with exertion or stress, they just do it once in a while at random times and it's easily stopped. It's just a "Boston thing".

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
And pugs, shih-tzus, pekingnese and various cross breds. It IS very common in Bostons because they are an older breed and have been heavily bred in the US where health considerations are not as big a deal as they are in many foreign registries.

I don't claim to be an expert on modern Bostons, but my father raised the old "Boston Bull Dogs" before he married my mother, and taught me quite a bit about that breed. They were neat dogs. Sort of a storefront and apartment sized guard dog, but very friendly

Copabanana

I think they're about 10 now.
I was shocked when I got to this part. They sound still like puppies--except for Mac's eyes.
I wouldn't even pick a flower much less take an animal to my house!

I don't know why M brought him home. I think he was stunned. We have never ever found a turtle here. But I think also it was the same kind of choice as when a kitty brings home for his Mommy all manner of presents--like snakes.

I think his sanity briefly left him and he really did not think. Because he knew he had to bring it back to his ecosystem, when his reason returned. Especially when nobody in the house was bathing.

And then, it was hard for us to know just what to do. Even me. I had never coveted a turtle and really it would have been a stretch to live with one. But once it appeared the responsible thing to do, was not immediately clear--except it was.

We just felt this sense of responsibility to it. Which had to be worked through. Kind of like a D C. We had to detach.

He is sad too. There was certainly an element of bonding and destiny. Like if a unicorn showed up in your yard--it was surely meant to be.

Last edited:

Lil

My Bostons don't sneeze much but Katy and Trace both do the "reverse sneezing" once in a while. I think most Bostons and other smooshy faced dogs do it. They do a series of hard powerful inward snorts, so hard that their sides sink in. It looks like they're choking or have something stuck in their nose. It can be quite upsetting to see them do it if you don't know what it is. Harmless really. They stop on their own eventually. Or you can take your finger and press it over their nostrils which forces them to take a breath through their mouth and that stops it.
Ours does the reverse sneeze occasionally. Suzie more, which is off because Mac's nose is much shorter. Hers tends to stop if we make her lay down.

No I'm talking actual loud outward blowing snotty I sneezes. At each other, like they are barking, but they are sneezing. It's sooo funny!

Copabanana

We are still going on and on about the turtle. Today M showed me exactly where he deposited the turtle (in about 5' of water) and I am greatly relieved. His theory now is that the dogs (A german shepherd and a pit bull) had picked him up in their jaws and dropped him in the middle of the road, crossing back to where they lived. M rightly brought him back to the other side of the road which is Santa Fe RR land, not belonging to anybody that may have dogs.

M is still suffering a little about letting him go to his fate--what ever it was. We were both, really affected by this. The extent to which he was, is only coming out now.

I think both of us really tried hard to be responsible, and stumbled until with your help we were able to see a clear path and act. It was very important that the right thing happen--that is to say that we did the right thing. I feel very sure that we did--ultimately--happen what happens. And we will never know, except for the confidence that we did the right thing.

I am grateful to you all. M does not know I sought your counsel. He hates it when I even post--"what are you writing that private stuff for? How could you?" Easy.

Copabanana

We are still going on and on about the turtle. Today M showed me exactly where he deposited the turtle (in about 5' of water) and I am greatly relieved. His theory now is that the dogs (A german shepherd and a pit bull) had picked him up in their jaws and dropped him in the middle of the road, crossing back to where they lived. M rightly brought him back to the other side of the road which is Santa Fe RR land, not belonging to anybody that may have dogs.

M is still suffering a little about letting him go to his fate--what ever it was. We were both, really affected by this. The extent to which he was, is only coming out now.

I think both of us really tried hard to be responsible, and stumbled until with your help we were able to see a clear path and act. It was very important that the right thing happen--that is to say that we did the right thing. I feel very sure that we did--ultimately--happen what happens. And we will never know, except for the confidence that we did the right thing.

I am grateful to you all. M does not know I sought your counsel. He hates it when I even post--"what are you writing that private stuff for? How could you?" Easy.

Copabanana

I just couldn't love the two of you more.
Oh Lil. Thank you so much. It is so kind of you to say that. I feel the same way about you and Jabber. As I know would M if he knew you existed. If he knew what I poured out--he would flip.

You guys. I need to vent. My life feels like it is falling apart--I needed a hug right now--and you gave it to me. I am not coping well. Working has put me over the edge. The water got turned off today!! I was sure I paid it, but things are so complicated now. I have 3 water bills, and 8 energy bills and I never was too swift with it but managed to get 820 or more credit. No longer. I think I got a letter from a collection agency and I am afraid to open it.

This horrible doctor who prescribed blood work (I have high cholesterol and a lung nodule and that was written on the order), wrote the wrong medical code and did not want to correct it because of his arrogance and the medical billing knowing it was my fault wants may to pay everything--like $500--when I have medicare and cadillac Blue Cross PP0--I should not have to pay any of it. My mother had the same insurance and had multiple operations and hospital stays and so forth, and ambulances and emergencies and never paid one cent. That is what this insurance is like. And they are trying to dun me.

And I am overwhelmed because of fatigue. Between my son and work I am just not coping. And then there is my mother. I still have so much grief. I am sorry to pour all of this out, but I feel so tired. It is not getting better. The caseloads where I work are double what the quotas are in the rest of the state. I have picked up my pace but it is running all day, 10 hours a day.

M has gotten his stride--he is picking me up and taking me back and forth to work and also working all day!! But he is 7 years younger than I am.
It was very important that the right thing happen--that is to say that we did the right thing. I feel very sure that we did--ultimately--happen what happens. And we will never know, except for the confidence that we did the right thing.
Well, here I go quoting myself again but I really, really believe in this quote.

It is awfully hard to know what the right thing to do is sometimes, when there is a conflict of interests and goals. What is the right thing for me right now? I think it is to keep working but I am not sure why I think that. I think because I have always set the bar high. If I had not I would have been a quite average person with a quite unsatisfactory and sad life.

As long as M has to work on the houses and until we get them rented there is really nothing constructive and meaningful that will grab my attention and force me to push and pull myself to raise the bar. And I will fall back into the sadness and low energy where I was after my Mom died. I mean I am better. But am I good? Not really.

I just feel so sorry for myself. The turtle will have to share his thread with me. Thank you people.

Copabanana

Well, the water is still off but the bill did not go to collections. I got the nerve to listen to my messages and there was confirmation that my medicare paid in full. That is good. I am starting a new thread. Things keep piling up. Thank you people.

Lil

I'M SO SORRY! I didn't see this until just now and can't find another thread! I just don't even know what to say. Jabber and I are terrible with our bills too. We pay and usually set up an autopay for just over what our actual bill runs, it builds a credit. We skip a few months and then pay again. Those companies must love us. But because of autopay we almost never open the bills. A rate change or some glitch with payments and suddenly we're behind. I've never had it happen with the water or electric, but out TV has been shut off more than once for that.

At least the insurance came through! I'm sure the Water company can take payments and get it turned right back on.

Hugs my friend. I wish I could help with your stress. :hugs: