There is Karma.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I worked on my only day off this week other than Christmas from 4am until 6:30pm. I had this lady go through my line talking LOUDLY on her cell phone complaining about how people could bring their kids shopping at this time of year. I didn't get one word in...just rang up he order, gave her receipt and let her go.

Well, she left still on the cell without her bag. I looked at her walking to the door and thought, I *should* run her down...nope.:tongue:

Complain about other people being rude yet you're as equally rude. Maybe they can't afford a babysitter. Ya think about that?

The holidays bring out the best in people...or maybe the worst.

Abbey

witzend

Apparently her karma ran over he dogma....

(I always loved that one! Thanks for giving me a chance to use it!)

donna723

Ha! I wouldn't have reminded her either! Did she come back for her bag?

What is it with people and their cell phones? I went to Walmart last weekend and when I went in to use the bathroom there was someone's pink cell phone on top of the toilet paper dispenser! Was she on her cell, even while using the bathroom? And in the short time it took me to finish in the bathroom and turn the phone over to an employee, there were at least a half dozen text messages that came in on it! Who wants to be in constant contact with everybody they know, even in the bathroom? Certainly not me!

klmno

LOL! I paid for food once at a drive-thru, then drove off without getting it. Duh- I know! But it drives me nuts for people to be in a store and talking on a cell phone.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would not have run after her either. What a jerk! People take kids shopping this time of year just like they take them shopping every other time of the year.

The other thing that drives me nuts with cell phones is why people SHOUT on them. My husband is AWFUL! I have to hold the phone about 8 inches away from my ear when he is on his cell. No matter what I say he shouts into it.

I don't understand texting. I have an aunt who finds it convenient because her kids can just text when they will be home or what they will be doing. I will not read a text. Just won't. Probably could, but I refuse to pay for the service and I don't want to mess with them.

Why do we have to be in contact all the time? Used to be if a kid got sick at school they stayed at the nurse until a parent could be reached and come get them. If parents were not home or couldn't take calls at work, well, the kid stayed in the office. Now if you don't answer your cell they go straight to the emergency contacts. They insist that you must rush out to pick up the child and if you are an hour away it is inexcusable. WTH??? Here to do a whole lot of stuff you have to drive at least an hour. I know the child isn't having fun but it just seems silly to be expected to be available to drop everything on a moment's notice because school called.

Off my soap box now.

jal

I have to post a positive to this...

I'm in SE CT. Storm Albert was coming & I went to the store Sat am. Stupid I know, but I shop on the weekends anyway. It was beyond busy.

Long story short, I stood in a line to get in a line for checkout. This very nice elder gentleman began to chat me up. We exchanged small conversation and a few chuckles for the 15-20 min we had to wait in line. When it came time to part ways, he wished me a merry Christmas and I too him.

It has been one of the most genuine conversations I have had with-a stranger in a very long time.

P.S. We got about 18"-20".

Abbey

Spork Queen
Jal...I think you'd find I'm probably one of the most chatty persons with customers. I love that part of the job. BUT, when you're shouting on your cell and don't even give me an opportunity to say hello, you're toast in the customer help area.

No, she didn't come back for the bag. She's probably got so much going on that she didn't even remember that she came in.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
I am a glass half full sort of person.
I love texts from the kids. I absolutely want them to check in. Cell phones are the best thing since sliced bread. in my humble opinion. My mom isn't in her home but she can still keep in touch.
On the other hand, the manners that come with cell phones is still sort of evolving from what I can tell.
Talking while checking out is pretty rude to the cashier. It tends to make those who are providing a service feel unimportant which is never a good thing. Deb, I can see where you were annoyed.

Susiestar, there is no way they want to keep a sick kid in school regardless of the parents schedule. It is not the job of the school nurse to provide sick child relief. Back in the day it was different but even then they tried to get kids who were contagious or miserable home to their parents. A lot of mom's didn't have a second vehicle but even then there was a scramble to find someone to pick up a sick kid. It's our responsibility to be available for our kids when it is something outside the realm of educating our kids. in my humble opinion.

I really do want to be available 24/7 for the kids. Cells give me tha advantage of being mobile knowing the kids can get a hold of me. I hope I am thoughtful to those who I have contact with but there are times when it is a very important call like from the doctor or someone else who is not readily available. Hopefully they will give me the benefit of doubt that I wouldn't intentionally be rude.

It seems like a lot of people are stressed during the holidays. I know my dad was miserable with every major holiday. It's like the anticipation and hustle and bustle was too much change from the routine. He always had a meltdown and we all felt like we had to walk on eggshells. After everyone was miserable, then he would lighten up. difficult child is a bit like that. I swore I would not have a home where everyone was miserable during the holidays. I had to remind difficult child that if he didn't mellow out, he could find someplace else to spend the holidays. I was NOT going to let anyone make me miserable for no reason again. He is working on it and does realize that he is overly grumpy.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't like cell phones period. Personally, I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone's phone conversations, hearing their often obnoxious ring tones going off everywhere, seeing someone constantly yakking or texting on the phone.

Strange but it wasn't really that long ago when staying in constant contact with everyone you know was not a necessity. I will admit I have one and they are great for emergencies. Other than that, I flat out refuse to use mine. Funny, here I am writing about cell phones and easy child calls me on hers from work. Why? For something she could have waited to tell me later of course.

easy child drives me insane with hers. I can hardly have a conversation with her if her phone is turned on. She's either getting calls or texts over stupid things at least every 5-10 mins. She scares me to death that she does it in the car. I watched Nichole nearly have a head on collision because she was trying to dig her ringing phone out of her pocket while driving. (husband and I were driving behind her)

I wouldn't have bothered going after the rude woman either. Obviously what was going on on the phone was more important than her shopping. ugh!

DammitJanet

Im more like Fran. I love cell phones and obviously there are a ton of us who do too because there are now more cell phones than land lines out there. They make keeping in contact with family much easier. Long distance is a thing of the past.

I love being able to pick my ringtones. I download them from the internet and customize them for certain people so I know who is calling and if I should let it go to voicemail.

I dont talk in line at registers unless Im on an important call and I dont talk at drive thrus. I put the phone down. I only have two hands. I do like texting. I didnt until I got my phone with a regular keypad. Now I can text easily and do use it and picture mail quite often.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I had some state of the art cell and traded it in for the MOST simple phone you could possibly imagine. It was just too frustrating. And, I went to a pay by the minute phone as I rarely use mine. I can buy 300 minutes for $25 and it will last me a little over 2 months.

I refuse to use it when I'm driving. If it's important, they'll leave a message. I have to pay a nickel for every text, so I just don't do them. Plus...my vision kind of stinks. I make more mistakes texting than I care to admit to.

Abbey

DammitJanet

I find it kind of funny. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 6000 members on this site and its only Fran and I who actually admit to using cellphones often?

I find that odd. Maybe I wont find it odd when members from the get together read this...lol...cause I sure saw lots of cellphones there!

tiredmommy

I don't use mine often... but I tend to leave it on when Duckie isn't with me. My friend actually uses my phone more than I do. I do find it convenient when I'm shopping and need husband's opinion on occasion; but I probably make one or fewer calls per week on average. I don't particularly enjoy being on the phone even at home. I've actually just started using the alarm feature on my phone... it's been quite handy. I have an old flip phone with an external antenna and texting isn't enabled on my account.

witzend

I use my cell phone, but not the way some of my friends do. I have four cordless phones in my house because it is so difficult for me to get up out of a chair. I need one in most every room that I spend time in. But the people who call me the most insist on calling me on my cell. I never get to it on time.

I have hands free blue tooth in my phone, and auto voice dialing. I use it in my car. The phone I got for M was one that I was going to keep for myself and give him the old one, but you had to go into a fourth sub-set of menus to get to the voice dial function, so I can't make that work for me the way I want to use it. I want to push a button and say "Call husband", and have it dial husband. To push a button, and then make selections on three different screens is insane. There's no point to it, you might as well dial, and I won't dial when I'm driving.

I text, but not a lot. I don't use the phone when I should be paying attention to someone else. ie: not at lunch with friends, not in the store in line, etc. I love having a phone that I can use to keep in touch and let people know when I am coming and going. I love having husband be able to tell me he will be late. But I'm a girl, and I'm not going to strap a cell phone on me so that I can answer everyone's beck and call. That's for boys.

DammitJanet

We have an awesome plan. We get 1500 mins a month between two phones. Mine and Tonys. We also have mobile to any other cellphone. Free texting and free web browsing. I also have Sprint TV and NFL Live and NASCAR Live. Im in heaven! Oh...I also have free nights and weekends that start at 7pm. Oh...and I can tether my phone to my computer so I can get online at higher speed than dial up.

With Tony working out of town I would be frantic if I couldnt get in contact with him at the drop of a hat. I dont call him during the day unless its at lunch time or break time unless its an emergency but I do call him every night and we talk for at least an hour. I do talk to Tony when he is on his way home on Friday's. He will call me to tell me he is leaving town and then call me when he is about 15 miles from home so I know to leave my house to go to the store to pick him up.

Almost everyone I know except for a few people like my Dad and doctors are on cells. Since I switched to this plan, I have never used more than 500 anytime minutes a month and that was when we were trying! We can roam but our roaming just goes against our anytime minutes.

Since these phones are used A) mine for our house phone and computer modem and B) Tonys for work purposes...they are darned useful.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I LOVE MY CELL PHONE. Sometimes.

I use it often, either way.

Texting was how my easy child 1 would talk to me when he was 14-17 years old. ANY way a teen that age chooses to talk is good, in my book, so I learned to text. We still text.

And I absolutely love giving a therapist or psychiatrist or the school one phone number to reach me any time...no "here's work, here's home, here's the admin if I'm not at my desk..." bs...

I gotta say, tho, Abbey, while I try very hard to not be like that lady, I have found that the only time I have without wee difficult child is often while I'm grocery shopping, so I will sometimes just visit with my mom while I'm shopping. I try to be aware of my voice, tho, and keep it down, and I always pause the conversation when I check out.

HOWEVER, there have been times that a therapist or psychiatrist will return a call when I'm in the checkout line, and I've been that rude lady. For that, I apologize.

But I generally try to be conscientious about it.

The marines don't allow you to walk while speaking on a phone. I thought that was interesting.

Fran

Former desparate mom
In the next move I will get rid of the land line. We barely use it.
I take pictures of where I park my car to remind me when I'm not sure.
I take pictures of items at store to show husband. I have taken pictures of hair cuts or dresses to get opinions from friends.
I have taken photo's of flooring and sent it to the contractor to show him what I needed. : )
I walk in the woods. My cell phone is my life line. It's my alarm clock, my address book and I don't even know how to use all the capabilities.
It's like having a daily planner. My daily chore list is on the phone as is
my calendar with reminder alarms.

Like Witz, having a phone nearby is a big help although I have no reason to not get out of the chair. : )
It's almost always in my pocket or next to me.

trinityroyal

Chalk me up in the frequent cellphone user category. My phone is usually attached to me wherever I happen to be. I use a bluetooth headset which is usually hidden by my hair, so I don't look like I have a thing stuck to my head all the time.

If I'm on a call and I need to interact with someone in real life, I'll either end the call or explain (usu to husband or one of the children on the other end) that I have to go into "silent mode" for a moment. If having an open cell line would be rude or inappropriate (e.g. in the ladies' room), I end the call and then do whatever it is.

Personally, text message is my favourite feature. It allows me to keep in touch without actually having to talk to people. I really dislike talking on the phone, and I"m only comfortable talking to a few people, so text allows me to be in contact with everyone else.

I don't download ring tones, but I do set up customized rings for husband and each child, so I know who is trying to reach me. If it's not an emergency, I often let the call go to voicemail and respond by text later.

Trinity