There were not 3 incidents of rock throwing.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Just one. He hid under the slide when the whistle blew (has done that twice...guess I'd think it was a transition thing and try warning him before the end of recess) and then....TA DA....Guess what the para did??? The para tried to force him to leave, and he threw rocks at her. That happened last Thursday and was the 3rd strike that made him lose recess altogether on Friday because he "can't be safe with the other children".

ExMIL and I were both in the room when we were told it was the 3rd incident on the playground involving throwing rocks at other children.

The second recess incident was the only one that involved other children. They were playing tag and the other kids started calling him names (his perception - questionable if it was part of their game or they were really calling him names). Still didn't involve rocks.

The first incident, he hid under the slide when he perceived kids to be teasing him, then didn't come in immediately when recess was over, but it was with Mr Para/Teacher and Mr Para/Teacher didn't force the issue and Wee came in after a couple of minutes. (and was when the principal removed his earned recess after he had a minor incident when Mr Para/Teacher erased the board he was working on.... she is still apparently counting this as the 1st playground incident)

Also, the decision to remove him from recess is on the report from the second incident, yet we were told it was decided after the third incident at recess and because of the safety of the other students...

Yeah, I'm boiling again.

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Seriously... Get a lawyer, preferably one with education background - the advocate search doesn't seem to have helped. This is RIDICULOUS!

Hugs for you, and definitely Wee, too.

DammitJanet

Ok, Im about at the point that I want to know why there are rocks on the playground anyway? Nowadays they mostly use bark chips or shredded tires for safety sake. Even plane grass.

I think maybe you need to "invent" some rock damage to your son from falling on the playground. If there are enough rocks around that he finds them that easily, them someone is going to get seriously injured when falling from playground equipment.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The whole playground is covered with those little round pebble rocks.

Whole dang thing.

And I can promise you, my son is not the only child guilty of throwing them.

idohope

It is just too much. I am boiling mad for you. But that does not help matters.

Who can you go to at this point? How high up have you gone and who is higher to go to? I know you have done so much already

I know that it has come up in the forum before, do you know the laws in your state about recording meetings? Seems like you should be doing this at this point if the verbal information given to you is not matching the written documentation.

Also: Do you know the Helen Reddy song "I am woman" ? I sometimes sing to myself for strength. Substitute "Warrior Mom" (or Warrior Dad) for woman. In the lines:
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Substitute "my brother" with "that principal"

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I can't go any higher in the district. I have been to the superintendent and have had conversations with some of the board. And I will not have conversations with principal without witnesses. I did have a conversation with super on Friday without a witness, but I don't intend to make that a habit. I just didn't have a choice.

All I can see to do at this point is go to the board as a whole (super included) with all of this, tell them to fix it, and fix it now, or answer to the state complaints and my attorney.

klmno

Shari, get a lawyer and let him/her be the one to advise you about the school board or speak there. Your complaints, valid or not, are not getting you anywhere. I'm afraid they aren't going to take them serious if you don't lawyer up and prove what you have been warning them you'd do.

My son's sd took things a LOT more serious when I started cc'ing a Special Education attny and let them know I was consulting one than they did when I was threatening to get one. But I was told it takes about $10,000 to actually go thru the DP process and then the sd will still fight things. Mediation has no legal backing for enforcement. In the long run, a person is better off moving. That was the advice of my Special Education attny who had a child with a diagnosis and IEP in a nearby jurisdiction.

BusynMember

Shari, don't bother with the district. They all play on the same team. Go to the Dept. of Education in your state. That's what I do and that's the only thing that really works. The schools do listen to them. It won't cost you a penny. A lawyer will. Good luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
Call the state Board of Ed. Period. these people are doing ALL they can to give your child a criminal record instead of an education. If at all possible, make friends with an investigative reporter - even if you must bake cookies or muffins to take to the reporter's office! (I am all for any way to get them on your side, and I have found in the past that a plate of homemade muffins or cookies can go a LONG way to making a reporter notice you kindly. I have an uncle who writes for the AP about sports, mostly the Cinci Bengals and Reds, and he said that it would be a very helpful way to get a reporter's notice back when I was thinking about getting a reporter to help us with the **** that happened to Wiz.)

Stop mickey mousing around with the school. Even their own attorney knows they are in the wrong in a major way. Get the state BOE and/or a reporter and/or a lawyer. NO WAY should Wee be getting the cops called on him. He is a third grader, for crying out loud. NO elementary school needs to call the police - not for a student!!! Maybe YOU should call the cops for assault on Wee for the principal restraining Wee with-o being trained how to do it. Cause if she cannot provide PROOF that she has been trained in restraints then what she did was ASSAULT.

I am so sorry these people are so stupid. All of the students at that school are at risk because the adults running it are stupid. period.