There's a black kid at the park with a gun

JJJ

That's the 911 call that came into our police about an hour ago. Tigger had found an air soft bb gun at the park and picked it up to play. It was a very real looking gun.

Thank God that our police are well trained and not trigger happy. Thank God for Officer Mike who spent tons of time in the ED classroom teaching the boys to think of cops as friends so that Tigger waved happily to the cops and complied with all of their directives. Thank God it was still light out.

Tigger called me and said ' now I get why you won't let me play with guns that look real. Please remind me about this if I forget again. "

Thank God it ended well.

Marguerite

Oh, what a scare! I'm glad the police handled it well. This could so easily have ended badly.

Here's hoping this experience helps Tigger really understand, and keep on understanding, why our difficult children have a higher standard of behaviour to adhere to, purely in order to survive.

It shouldn't be that way, but sadly, it is.

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OH MY GOODNESS!

So, so glad it turned out OK. Especially with all the stuff in the media recently.

WHEW! I am hoping the reminders help, too. Sheesh...

buddy

That is terrifying. I saw one recently and they really do look scary. The kids had convinced Q to let them shoot him and of course he agreed (anything for joining in, sigh). I think there should be laws about toy weapons looking so real.... Q owns NOTHING like that. But as you had happen and so did we, other kids have them so there will be a time they see them.

Now, the cute little elephant thing my niece got is way cool. Put the balls in the nose and squeeze.... the ball FLIES...it is so cute. Much better option (but still nope for Q, lol)

DDD

OMG! Thank God you live where you live. The chances for tragedy are so great in this day and age. I hate labels. I wince every time I hear the word "felon" because I personally know that "felon" does not mean a violent person, a gang member, a person with a long rap sheet. Those who don't know "blacks" or "felons" as human beings jump to conclusions that endanger a big segment of our society. I am so glad for you. Hugs DDD

klmno

TG you're not in Florida! I'm so glad it ended well and he knows now it's important to stay away from anything resembling a weapon. Sheewww.... I bet your heart fell to the ground....

JJJ

Nope, the gun was totally black. Tigger seems fine and repeated that he know understood why I have rules about guns!

DammitJanet

Another reason we said no to any type of toy gun at my house. We taught my boys that all guns were real weapons and were considered deadly and not to be touched without an adult present. So scary.

InsaneCdn

Hopefully the adrenalin rush won't destroy your sleep tonight... it would have done that to me, if I were in your shoes.
Scary.
{{hugs}}

llamafarm

wow. that is scary. Makes me more confident in my decision not to have those guns around. Too bad I can't control the neighbors or difficult child's desire to join in the 'war' games when he out playing.

I was almost scared to read this, just thinking of what could have happened!! So glad it ended well and hopefully, this is one real life lesson tigger will never forget. SFR

cubsgirl

OMgosh -- my heart was racing while reading your post. I'm so thankful that Tigger has a good rapport with the police. That is positively terrifying.

TerryJ2

' now I get why you won't let me play with guns that look real. Please remind me about this if I forget again. "

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

When my son got his first airsoft gun and wanted to play outside with-it, I told him it had to have a bright orange tip. He showed me, but it seemed so tiny, I wanted to spray paint the entire thing DayGlo orange! He had no idea why I was so terrified. Someday, he will. In the meantime, all we can do is hope ALL of our police are well-trained and that all of our kids wave and smile.

Many hugs.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so glad the cops were so well trained and Tigger handled it so well. I hATE that so many airsoft and even pretend guns that don't shoot anything look so much like real guns. in my opinion it is a real danger to our kids. when Wiz insisted on having a toy gun (he made them out of everything, even cooked spaghetti at one point!), my dad made him HELP make a wooden pistol out of a flat board and sand it and paint it bright safety yellow. It was the outline of a gun but that was ALL that looked like a gun. It was too much work for Wiz so he never played with it.

I am glad he learned from this! he is a good kid with a good heart.