They laughed at me...

lizanne2

So, with the recent stuff with now difficult child 1 and the crisis intervention, I though it was a good idea to make it back Occupational Therapist (OT) he Y. Stress relief and all.....

So all 200plus pounds of me, have my head phones on and am riding the bike. The music in my head stops and I hear the really cool wonderful Moms of my town laughing at me. They were laying odds on how many times I would actually make it to the Y. Doesn't that just stink!

Aaarrrgghhhh, I MUST now go back tonight and prove them wrong.

lizanne2

You know, I so wanted to but was feeling really fragile after the day in the ER. I wasn't quite sure what I could have said.
Advocating for myself is truly the hardest.

DammitJanet

You are a better woman than I. If people had laughed at me it would have crushed me and I would have never been able to make myself enter that place again.

svengandhi

You are braver than me. I can't even bring myself to get to the gym. I weigh not much less than you but I am only 5'1". Even more depressing is seeing my youthful, pre-baby hot body walking around the house in the person of my teenaged daughter.

I wish I could get up the courage and energy to go to the gym, not to mention the money.

Mattsmom277

I'm so evil about ignorance like this. I'm the type that next time i saw the groupie snobs, I'd look one of them, likely the one you heard talking, in the eye while passing by and say something like " you know there are specific equipments here to target those hard to fix areas. you can learn about them by speaking with one of the trainers". Then I'd sashay past and get my headphones on and hop on that bike and hum along to the music having a grand old time. Maybe reading a book titled something like "How to deal with people who think their poop doesn't stink".

eekysign

Augh! That's why I love my gym so much - it's a women's only facility, and everyone there is...well....normal! I'm young, but I discovered an endocrine-related problem a few years too late, and I put on a ton of weight before I finally went to the doctor's. Couldn't figure out how I gained 40lbs in a year, doing Weight Watchers. That was the straw that broke this camel's back! ;)

So yeah, it's nice. We're all normal, NICE, non-gym-bunny types. 'Cause those types go to the parks & rec facilities or the Gold's Gym or wherever else the boys are. Are there any women's-only gyms near you?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yeah, and I got the 'WI has been good for you' comment today from mother in law. I don't hear H telling you to eat anymore.

Gee...thanks a lot. I now sport a nice muffin top.

Abbey

DazedandConfused

Wow, I'm blown away. It's like their still in school. For me, when I see someone heavyset (I include myself in description) walking, biking, or exercising, I think "good for them!". I know it's not easy. I feel admiration, not scorn.

Perhaps if you see them again, you should just (and I DARE YOU! :devil2:) stride right up them with a big smile and ask "Sooo, who won the bet??"

And, don't let them play dumb, neither!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Don't even care about them.
I have been very heavy and considerably older than my class at the Y. I figured I paid my money. I'm not bothering them and I don't care. I was their for my goal. I was blind and deaf. Eventually, I got thinner and stronger. I still didn't give a rat's patootie what anyone thought or cared.
Heck one of the youngsters 22yrs old didn't even recognize me in make up and clothes. I guess I was the old bat in the back of the class. I could never have said anything but I resolved to improve myself and blocked them out of my mond.

You are there for you. You want to do a little better tomorrow than today and you have every right to be there. Most people are thinking, "good for her" or are concentrating on themselves.

Keep going and see the positive in you and the folks who are friendly. Don't focus on the negativity that idiots like the clique spew forth.

flutterby

Fly away!
I just don't understand that mentality. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm so sorry that they hurt you with their words. I would have been crushed and humiliated and wouldn't be able to bring myself to go back - and I'm not one to back down from confrontation. But, certain things...Know what I mean??

Remember: Happiness is the best revenge. Go get 'em girl! :cheerleader:

Andy

You should laugh at them for being there because apparently they really don't think they need it - it is just social time for a bunch of gossips. A huge waste of their money!

Your success will be far more earned than they will ever have.

You would think grown women would be adults and mature but some "Barbies" never grow up do they?

Go back with a smile on your face and show a winning attitude. Show that you are enjoying every second of your time there. You are in control of your destiny and nothing they can say in their childish little clique will stop you!

Oh, and before they get a chance to say anything, acknowledge that they are there with a great big, "Hello! I see you are working on loosing weight also. Good to work out with you! Let me know if you need any advise, I know all the tricks."

Lothlorien

I'm sorry they hurt you that way. Instead of being encouraging, they were just being rotten and self-centered witches.

Don't let them discourage you from making yourself feel good and look good. Don't let them win at their petty little game.

flutterby

Fly away!
Do you know what else I've noticed? Some women who have never been divorced can be really harsh to single moms. In my last neighborhood, there were several neighbors like this. Then people started getting divorced and all of a sudden the women who wouldn't even wave back to me were all chatty.

At first, I thought maybe it was just all in my head until a (married) neighbor said she noticed the same thing toward the other single mom (there were only 2 of us for the first couple of years).

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
And I wonder sometimes why I don't like people?
There are snooty people in all body sizes and income ranges, it just blows my mind at times the things that come out of peoples mouths.
The hurtful things.
My girlfriend and I were talking about this the other day, her Not so dear H, had made a comment with his mother about a heavy woman and what she was wearing. My friend K stopped and read both of them the riot act.
She looked at them and said, "How do you know what this woman has been through, she may be having the best day of her life and feeling great, she may have just lost a ton of weight!"
She went on and on, but in the end, they still felt like they were better, because they are thin! And this woman was stupid and "fat".
My poor girlfriend cried to me on the phone and said she was ashamed...

Go there for you! We all look different, even when I am at my thinnest I have never looked in the mirror and thought I was better than any other woman.
My weight nor my body make me a good person.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Good for you for going to the gym. :) Great stress releaver.

I'm like you though, I'd go back just to rub their noses in it.

I loath people like that.

husband said something nasty about a heavy woman being dropped off at the doors into Walmart this evening. And I snarled at him to take a good gander in the mirror the next time he has a mind to remark on someone elses weight. sheesh! (he is at least as heavy as the woman was) This guy I can't get to walk across a room to get his own drink.

Ignore them. I understand the vulnerablity you felt. Karma will get them in time......and it's a *itch when it does. :)

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Do not let those snobs deter you! Exercise is one of the best stress relievers there is. At one point I was over two hundred pounds and working out. The good thing about the club I belong to is that there is every age, size, race, etc... working out. It's nice because everyone is kind of in their own world not paying attention to anyone else. It's a big club and really spread out so you can do what you want to do.

difficult child is always making comments about how "fat" I am (I'm not). He tells me I have cottage cheese (I do) and that my arms jiggle. Yesterday I told him he should be the last one commenting on anyone's weight (he is over weight). He replied, well only my tummy jiggles and I bet your's does too. Argh! Luckily I am able to tune him out because he is difficult child.