Things people do that annoy you or you find gross

Pink Elephant

I just dont think it matters if someone is the best. I chose to be a stay at home mom and had many part time jobs in between. I worked hard at all I did, but didnt see driving myself nuts to be a #1 as a way to live. Not for me, at least. I like to smell the flowers one at a time and enjoy them. Being the fastest, hardest driving and maybe therefore best at anything is not a goal of mine. Never was. I try hard but I wont let go of that enjoyment of the simple, smaller, nicer things in life for any job.

I have certain places I like to eat and some not so much. All of us have our own preferences. In my case I like a cozy warm atmosphere and if a place is too busy or expensive I wont be drawn to it. It has luttle to do with servers. I always get my meals.

If I stop going simewhere I dont think that the establishment cares. I am one person. They can afford to lose me.

I do not look down at slower learners nor do I look up to people in Mensa. I judge people by their hearts. I guess thats a form of judging. I care more about the kindness of a heart than anything else. I am not so brilliant, perfect, or successful in school or work to look down at somebody else.

I once stressed about things like that. I wasnt very happy. I like to take life one day at a time, smile at others, drink coffee, pet my dogs and enjoy nature. I do not want to spend my time fighting and stressed or worrying about if others are working up to my standards. Or if I am enough or have enough for others to admire. Or if they have enough for me to admire. The truth is, I dont give a fug about what others have or do. Its not my life. Its not my business.

So again we are very different and we are not better or worse than one another.

I am VERY spiritual (which is not the same at all as religious) but my values are guided more by the wisdom I find, say, in Buddha than in the rat race....I dont look at myself or others as better or worse, smarter or not as smart. I think animals are equal to people in importance. I dont oay attention much to things I cant control. I have a gratitude journal and focus on the positive.

And I am very happy and content. Only one person I can control in this lifetime and that is me. I am telling my story, Pink, but I would never try to change you even if I could. You are amazing, funny and we need diversity of thought or life would be very boring. I am honored to know you :)
Right back at you, SOT. :)

Pink Elephant

This whole thread has fascinated me. I honestly think servers should earn a livable wage and tipping should be banished. That said, I will tip according to service - and if it's the kitchen that's the problem, it still affects the tip (though not my treatment of the server), because many places require the servers to share tips with the kitchen personnel!

Breastfeeding. I don't mind if it is done in public if it's discreet. Hang your boobs out for the world to see, and it's distasteful (and disrespectful). I never could... Too self-conscious. However, I will NOT EVER tell a breastfeeding mother to feed her child in the bathroom. Ewww. Diapers? Change 'em out of sight. NOT on tables or booths. I once changed Rose in a Waffle House bathroom, on the little triangular shelf, because the floor was not an option for us - I then asked the server for disinfectant and cleaned it.
Whenever dear husband and I eat-out at a new place, we never fail to ask if the cooks are rewarded. Shame on those establishments that fail to reward the most important people of all, the people who, if they didn't exist, neither would the restaurant and neither would the staff.

Regarding breastfeeding in public, I still occasionally come across women who seemingly are just looking for a fight or for friction, and that gives every mother a bad name, so shame on them, and as far as occasional news articles go where some mother decided to change a baby on a restaurant table or floor in front of patrons, etc, double shame on those mothers. As Dear Abby, once said, "they've got a geranium in their cranium".

What I see nowadays is a self-serving world, where the adage for many is, it's all about me, and boy, as a Baby Boomer looking in from the out (my generation), does it ever show.

BusynMember

Our cooks got paid well. They didnt need rewards. Many of the better cooks became managers.

Having said that, even managers didnt make much in restaurant world. If you are a person looking to make a lot of money, it is hard to pay the bills working for a mainstream restaurant. And you will work your tail off for not much compensation. Where I live you could work at McD's and do better...at least they have the option of benefits. Its okay as a second income job or for those who dont care about the money but want something to do. It is interesting!

High end restaurants may be different. I didnt work at one and hub and I are not foodies...spending a mint in a high end restaurant is not our idea of a fun night out. There are some with tips added in, like it or not.

But for somebody working at some of the struggling chain restaurants, you will find yourself struggling. Many of the workers had second jobs.

Jabberwockey

High end restaurants may be different.

I've never worked at one either but do have a co-worker who waits/bartends part time. He recommended a restaurant for Lil and I to go to for our anniversary this year. The food and service was excellent although it was on the pricy side. With tip we spent around $130 for the meal? We don't do that most of the time, just felt like doing something special this time.

Point is, he is a server with many years of experience and is apparently very good at his job but had a hard time getting a job offer there. They are VERY particular about who they hire ANY you cant start as a server. He turned the job down because of this. But this restaurant is known for spectacular service.

BusynMember

Jabber, thats why you paid so much for your meal. Bet most people tip well there as it would be seen as "low class" (I hate that class word) not to do so. Unless the tip is figured in.

You get what you pay for. A place like Average Restaurant will cut labor to save money. A high end restaurant will never do that because the service will suffer greatly if servers are stretched too thin. And if there arent enough cooks then the meals wont be timely.

If you want the best, you pay for it.

Thats one reason I dont beat down on most servers. If we go out, its to an average restaurant so the servers are often not that accomplished and certainly they do NOT make a lot of money. So I always tip well and would be embarassed to dine with anyone who didnt tip. Funnily, this has never happened to us.

Lil

It was a WONDERFUL meal. Food was fantastic and the service was without a doubt the BEST I've ever had and I've been to some pretty nice places. It's a very small restaurant and the waiters had maybe 3 tables each. I think the meal was about $130...tip on top of that. I'd love to go back...but I'm too cheap to go more than 1 or maybe 2 x per year!

BusynMember

Lol. I hear you. You are going to get great service if ser ers only have three tables. And non tippers dont usually frequent those restaurants.