Things that make you feel old...

Lil

Our choir mistress' birthday was yesterday. She was 32. Another person I'm old enough to be their mom. She tried to say I wasn't, as her parents were born in 57. Those six years don't actually matter a lot, since I'd have still been 22 when she was born.

I don't FEEL 54 - 55 this September. I truly forget most of the time that people are that much younger than I am! I just don't think of them as anything but my contemporaries - which they really aren't as we're in different generations.

Looking in a mirror tends to make me feel old. I've been thinking of face lifts since I hit 40. Other people will say I have no lines, but I see them more every day...especially around the mouth and chin. I hate my "jowls" that are starting to appear and losing weight makes them MORE obvious! Almost enough to make me want to stay fat.

AppleCori

Our choir mistress' birthday was yesterday. She was 32. Another person I'm old enough to be their mom. She tried to say I wasn't, as her parents were born in 57. Those six years don't actually matter a lot, since I'd have still been 22 when she was born.

I don't FEEL 54 - 55 this September. I truly forget most of the time that people are that much younger than I am! I just don't think of them as anything but my contemporaries - which they really aren't as we're in different generations.

Looking in a mirror tends to make me feel old. I've been thinking of face lifts since I hit 40. Other people will say I have no lines, but I see them more every day...especially around the mouth and chin. I hate my "jowls" that are starting to appear and losing weight makes them MORE obvious! Almost enough to make me want to stay fat.

I agree.

I had been looking into non-surgical options for a refresher.

There are a lot of things short of actual surgery that are out there.

BusynMember

Nuttin we do is going to make us young and enticing again.

I would rather spend the money on fun activities.

Many people can tell if somebody has a face job. Pffffft!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mom’s friend got her eye lids done a few years ago, and Medicare paid for it because of vision issues.

Now, THAT is some good news! I never expected that!

They're not that severe yet, but will get there. I have deep-set eyes, which combined with aging, and combined with "hooded eyes" inherited from my father, seem to be the problem.

AppleCori

Nuttin we do is going to make us young and enticing again.

I would rather spend the money on fun activities.

Many people can tell if somebody has a face job. Pffffft!

Enticing is in the eye of the beholder.

Looking your best is more about feeling good about yourself, anyway, not what others think.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Like, Apple... I, too, just have to know the story behind this one! :)
It's pretty simple actually. husband and I were BFFs with a male gay couple in the 70s/early 80s (both passed during the AIDs epidemic) and often used to go to bars and clubs with them.

husband used to get hit on constantly as he had the sort of "poetically handsome" looks that appealed to a certain sort (both male and female).

I was sort of rawhide and piano wire in those days due to the horses and archery. Narrow hips, tight butt, broad shoulders, and muscular arms and legs for a woman. I wore my hair to mid back or longer. Usually pulled back in a braid and knotted at the nape of my neck.

My uniform in those days was a flannel shirt and jeans. I was constantly mistaken for a guy from the back and sounded like a post-pubescent male. Very androgynous until I turned around and one saw my chest, which was large.

I appealed especially to "Bears" (Big, hairy men), and it wasn't uncommon for a man looking for a partner to pat me on the shoulder and be shocked when I turned around, or in more raucous environments to flat out grab that tight butt and die of embarrassment when I turned around. I also wrote for a gay publication at that time, so was heavily involved in "the scene" anyways.

I should note that I do NOT appreciate my butt being grabbed, and didn't then either, by ANY gender.

susiestar

Roll With It
What makes me feel old? Hearing "WeWill Rock You" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" in an elevator, in muzac style. At a Big Medical Building. Either I am old or the Apocalypse is coming.

My health issues also make me feel old. Especially as they limit much of what I can do with my appearance. I can wear SOME lipsticks and SOME eyeshadow brands and liners. Pick the wrong one and I could look like a mutant for days. I cannot even use regular moisturizer or cleansers on my face. I can use oil cleansers unless they have a bunch of stuff added to them. I can use cetaphil sometimes. Oddly enough, my skin does best with diluted Dawn. Then a very light oil on my skin if it is tight. Add the other health issues

What makes me feel young? Spending time with my kids and realizing they are still just as goofy and sweet as they were when they were little kids. Realizing that my mind is still very active and able to do what I want it to. Baking.

Be careful with cut rate Botox. If it is in your forehead, they can get your eyebrows at different heights and you look really strange. I had it before for migraines (and am trying to get it again) and they do some shots in your forehead. They had to be VERY careful. If they mess it up, you have to wait a long time with those results. Just pick your doctor carefully. I LOVE Botox, and looking younger is a lovely side effect of much fewer migraines, don't you think?

GN, I have those hooded, deep set eyes too. I get them from my mom. She had her eyelids done a few years back. They did a wonderful job. Of course she had them do the lower lids also. She looking into face lifts, but didn't want that wind tunnel look. She ended up getting what is called a thread lift. It did an amazing job. I don't know what they do, but it looks good. I will probably just do my upper eyes though.

AppleCori

Definitely won’t try any cut-rate Botox. This is administered by a board-certified dermatologist who works in a highly rated practice. I don’t know if the prices have come down because it is a commonly used product now, or if it is just less expensive here, where the cost of living is low.

I talked to a surgeon that I know and he has no worries with it, as long as it is administered by a professional.