Things you have wanted to do and things you never want to do again

BusynMember

I realize Old Hand, my buddy here, has better, funner (???) Threads than me, but thought I'd try one. This can be more than one in both categories. Funny stories encouraged!!!

Pink Elephant

Oh, I love this one, SOT! You and Apple, are pulling-out all the stops today!

Be right back!

P.S. SOT. Don't short-change yourself, I love all of your threads!!

BusynMember

What have you never done that you always wanted to do?

Honestly, I wanted to RV across the country but never dreamed it would ever happen! So yayyyy looking forward to that. Another thing is to paint a beautiful anything. This will never happen as I have no artistic ability and in fact have a very poor visual memory so it will never happen. I can draw a mean stick person!

I can not think of something I will never do again yet, but I am sure I will think of many.

Pink Elephant

One thing that comes to mind was making a trek to the island (Vancouver Island) one year when the kids were little, to visit family.

In my mind it would be a fun and warm trip as a family rolling down the highway as one. Well, not so.

We had three kids in the backseat, one in diapers, and the nagging, fighting, crying, temper-tantrums, and all the rest made for a really long trip. We were exhausted when we arrived there.

We spent a little over a week there (staying with family), and the only plus side of it was, the family we were staying with had little ones at the time, too, so a few extra kids added to the mix didn't create a problem, but no way would I ever do that trip again if I knew what we were in store for! LOL!

So naïve I was back then. Funny how wise we get as we age.

Pink Elephant

As much as I'm all for most old-fashioned things, I'm grateful for my electric automatic washing machine. Can't imagine relying on an old-fashioned wringer washing machine to do my washing. Such a great amount of fuss went on to wash clothes in the old 1960's versions.

And yes, I do remember. Helped my mom LOTS washing laundry.

So definitely don't want to launder clothes again in one. I tried it, and that's that. Bye-bye old wringer washing machines.

AppleCori

One thing off the top of my head: I never want to drive across country again, as the only adult in the vehicle.

I’ve done it many times, once I even ran out of gas!

It didn’t deter me, though.

I really enjoy being a passenger on long trips, though. Hubby always does all the driving (his choice) and I sit and relax, read books, we listen to books on CDs (mostly history), lots of conversation, not worrying about laundry or meals or cleaning.

But, it’s been a couple of years since I have driven any really long distance by myself with just my daughter, and I find that I have no desire to do it again. I fly, now.

I used to be fearless and feel free, but now, it just feels like work.

I did it several times with young kids in the car, though, and it’s not always fun!

Pink Elephant

Believe it or not, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of support on this from all of you, but giving birth.

Wanted to do it, did it, wouldn't want to do it again! LOL!

Lil

I had to read this twice - I originally thought it was stuff you HAVE done that you DID want to...had to erase and start over!

Things I've never done I always wanted to do?

Travel without a plan. I've always wanted to literally just sell all my stuff, take all the money, not pay a single darn bill (okay-that part is a fantasy that would in real life get me sued) and just buy a camper and GO. Drive until I'm out of money and out of gas and start over!

Okay...that was my fantasy pre-Jabber. Now it would be more sedate and responsible and I'd want him along, but I'd still love to just bum around the country.

There are two events I'd like to go that I likely won't ever: Mardi Gras and Burning Man - no, I don't know why I'd want to go to either one of those things. :p

I'd like to have a real talent - can you learn talent? LOL I'd like to take artsy classes until I find one I can actually do well! (Guess SWOT and I have a couple things in common.)

I'd like to hang-glide. Not up high, mind you! But you know how they learn by just kind of running downhill and catching the wind? Like that.

Be on a boat on the ocean. Little boat or big boat, either way.

Things I've done I never want to do again?

Ride on a motorcycle. TERRIFIED me.

Ride in a helicopter. It was small and crowded and loud and scary. Didn't like it AT ALL!

Amusement park rides.

(I see a trend developing here.)

Raise a child! My kid better be a good dad when the time comes, because this is one eventual Grandma that isn't taking over!

I'll probably think of more later.

Pink Elephant

One thing off the top of my head: I never want to drive across country again, as the only adult in the vehicle.

I’ve done it many times, once I even ran out of gas!

It didn’t deter me, though.

I really enjoy being a passenger on long trips, though. Hubby always does all the driving (his choice) and I sit and relax, read books, we listen to books on CDs (mostly history), lots of conversation, not worrying about laundry or meals or cleaning.

But, it’s been a couple of years since I have driven any really long distance by myself with just my daughter, and I find that I have no desire to do it again. I fly, now.

I used to be fearless and feel free, but now, it just feels like work.

I did it several times with young kids in the car, though, and it’s not always fun!
Apple. Count me in as being another happy traveller when I get to enjoy the passenger version of car travel. No babies, no little ones, just a quiet relaxing toot down the highway.

The trip we made that I was talking about worked out to be roughly 13 hours (first day), then another 3-4 hours on day two. What a sucker for punishment I was. LOL!

AppleCori

Believe it or not, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of support on this from all of you, but giving birth.

Wanted to do it, did it, wouldn't want to do it again! LOL!

If I were younger, I would love to have another child! Or two! I had easy pregnancies (even the twins) and c-sections. Recovery was tough after surgery, but I love the little ones.

Pink Elephant

If I were younger, I would love to have another child! Or two! I had easy pregnancies (even the twins) and c-sections. Recovery was tough after surgery, but I love the little ones.
I love little ones, too, but was happy when it was all over (giving birth and being in the hospital).

My mom came over and stayed for days helping me with baby-care and things until I was feeling myself again, which was a real blessing.

Yes, those C-sections smarted didn't they.

AppleCori

Apple. Count me in as being another happy traveller when I get to enjoy the passenger version of car travel. No babies, no little ones, just a quiet relaxing toot down the highway.

The trip we made that I was talking about worked out to be roughly 13 hours (first day), then another 3-4 hours on day two. What a sucker for punishment I was. LOL!

My X and I used to travel when my olders were little, too. Several times, we would drive nearly twenty-four hours without stopping overnight, because it was easier driving when they were asleep. It was miserable.

We stopped doing that when one morning about 3-4 am, my X said, “why were trying to pass the car in front of us?” I said, “I wasn’t.” Then I realized I probably had fallen asleep momentarily, and was drifting.

I will never drive over night again!

Pink Elephant

I had to read this twice - I originally thought it was stuff you HAVE done that you DID want to...had to erase and start over!

Things I've never done I always wanted to do?

Travel without a plan. I've always wanted to literally just sell all my stuff, take all the money, not pay a single darn bill (okay-that part is a fantasy that would in real life get me sued) and just buy a camper and GO. Drive until I'm out of money and out of gas and start over!

Okay...that was my fantasy pre-Jabber. Now it would be more sedate and responsible and I'd want him along, but I'd still love to just bum around the country.

There are two events I'd like to go that I likely won't ever: Mardi Gras and Burning Man - no, I don't know why I'd want to go to either one of those things. :p

I'd like to have a real talent - can you learn talent? LOL I'd like to take artsy classes until I find one I can actually do well! (Guess SWOT and I have a couple things in common.)

I'd like to hang-glide. Not up high, mind you! But you know how they learn by just kind of running downhill and catching the wind? Like that.

Be on a boat on the ocean. Little boat or big boat, either way.

Things I've done I never want to do again?

Ride on a motorcycle. TERRIFIED me.

Ride in a helicopter. It was small and crowded and loud and scary. Didn't like it AT ALL!

Amusement park rides.

(I see a trend developing here.)

Raise a child! My kid better be a good dad when the time comes, because this is one eventual Grandma that isn't taking over!

I'll probably think of more later.
Love it, Lil! No helicopter rides for me. Hate heights, and have a phobia of not being planted firmly on my own two feet.

Pink Elephant

My X and I used to travel when my olders were little, too. Several times, we would drive nearly twenty-four hours without stopping overnight, because it was easier driving when they were asleep. It was miserable.

We stopped doing that when one morning about 3-4 am, my X said, “why were trying to pass the car in front of us?” I said, “I wasn’t.” Then I realized I probably had fallen asleep momentarily, and was drifting.

I will never drive over night again!
Now that's scary. Either falling asleep at the wheel or hallucinating through lack of sleep.

When us kids were little, mom and dad used to take us to the drive-in and we'd sleep through the entire movie. Even as babies they took us.

AppleCori

I have never been to Marci Gras, but both my hubby and my previous guy before him told me lots of stories about it from their younger days.

Not something I would be up for, at least not anymore.

Lil

No. No, no, no, no, NO!

I do not like kids. Not even my own all that much.

Okay, that's not 100% true. I like cuddling babies. Other peoples that I can then hand back when they start to cry.

I was sick for 9 months, in a terrible marriage and then when I had him, I took him in my arms and there was this moment of pure JOY. The most wonderful and beautiful moment of my entire life.

I was a single mom 6 months later.

I wasn't an awesome mom. I had never been around babies or little kids. I really didn't understand how to play cars with him, for instance. I loved him to pieces and still do, but I wasn't good at anything but feeding and cuddling.

And I SURE wouldn't go thru years 2 to 6 and 15 to 23 again.

Pink Elephant

No. No, no, no, no, NO!

I do not like kids. Not even my own all that much.

Okay, that's not 100% true. I like cuddling babies. Other peoples that I can then hand back when they start to cry.

I was sick for 9 months, in a terrible marriage and then when I had him, I took him in my arms and there was this moment of pure JOY. The most wonderful and beautiful moment of my entire life.

I was a single mom 6 months later.

I wasn't an awesome mom. I had never been around babies or little kids. I really didn't understand how to play cars with him, for instance. I loved him to pieces and still do, but I wasn't good at anything but feeding and cuddling.

And I SURE wouldn't go thru years 2 to 6 and 15 to 23 again.
Awww... but you lived and learned. That's what counts.

I had lots of baby and younger child experience when I was younger, thanks to having several baby siblings. I practiced on them a lot, changing them, feeding them, and so on, so when my first came along I felt ready, even though I wasn't (surprise/surprise)!

Terrible twos? No thanks! Boy, did we ever go through that stage in our house! I was warming someone's bottom every day!

AppleCori

When us kids were little, mom and dad used to take us to the drive-in and we'd sleep through the entire movie. Even as babies they took

I might like to go to a drive-in movie again.

I saw my first zombie movie at the drive-in. Scared me to death. I remember thinking that I was glad we lived in a split-level at the time, because I didn’t see any zombies ever climbing steps.

Pink Elephant

I might like to go to a drive-in movie again.

I saw my first zombie movie at the drive-in. Scared me to death. I remember thinking that I was glad we lived in a split-level at the time, because I didn’t see any zombies ever climbing steps.
ROFLMAO! Horror and scary movies are not my thing. Can't watch them to this day. Have total nightmares if I do.

BusynMember

Ok, you gals gave me ideas.

Lil you especially did.

I would never ever ever ever get on a motorcycle. I did it once and that was enough. Roller coasters were not my idea of fun nor twirly rides that made me feel like throwing up. I have never been in a helicopter but can only imagine how much I would have hated that. I never was a risk taker.

My child birth experience with Bart was easy. My adoption experiences made me ecstatic. But I am a happy grandma now who has raised enough kids.

One thing I did that I would never do again is adopting an older child. They need a lot of help and have been so abused, and I have a soft heart which triggered this desire in me to do this both times, but both ended poorly and I would never have done it if I had believed that some kids are too damaged for family life. So that is one "I would never ever doing this again." Not even if I were forty. A baby, yes. Older than two, no. Never.

On a lighter note, I would never try to find my way around a huge city with only a girlfriend high on pot as my passenger. We made two trips both times attempting to get to OHare Airport. On our first try, we got lost and found ourselves at a stoplight by huge dirty brick buildings and ratty looking teens with boomboxes in the streets staring at us. Nobody was hostile, more curious. Suddenly my friend poked me and said,"Read where we are."
In front of the building or maybe on it (long ago so I don't remember) it said Cabrini Green Housing Project." For those who don't know what this was, it was the most violent and dangerous housing project in Chicago until it was torn down. The light turned green and I was terrified driving all over until I finally found the exit.

The second time (which never should have been attempted) again I got lost and found myself bumper to bumper in rush hour Chicago traffic, in 90 degree weather in a car with no air conditioning. I saw a bunch of Chinese restaurants and everyone on the streets seemed to be Asian. We were in Chinatown.

I was again lost and petrified and yelled to a cab driver beside me to please tell me the way out. He yelled back in a language I did not recognize. Eventually again I did get home. I never got to the airport either time and never tried it again. I was not meant to venture into places like Chicago. And I don't.

I have no sense of direction. Obviously! This was before there were things like GPS. I am not sure one would have helped me. I am that directionally challenged.

Last edited: