Things you have wanted to do and things you never want to do again

ksm

Want to do...

Hot air balloon ride in Colorado...

River raft down the Grand Canyon...

Visit Alaska

Buy a tiny house. Probably on a foundation, not on wheels.

Live abroad for a year... Probably in Europe.

Have done...

White water rafting in CO - signed up for a more leisurely trip, but recent rainful made the rapids about a level 5 which is really dangerous for the untrained.

Back packed across Europe about 20 years ago with husband. We got on the right train, but the wrong car. Woke up in Switzerland instead of Austria because the train split up during the night. husband asked the first guy at train station where was a good place to eat, and the guy was the head chef for the Swiss Olympic team. He fixed us lunch at his restaurant.

Went to the topless beach in the Canary islands. That was 20 years ago...wouldn't do that now, LOL

Pink Elephant

Want to do...

Visit Alaska

Have done...

White water rafting in CO - signed up for a more leisurely trip, but recent rainful made the rapids about a level 5 which is really dangerous for the untrained.

Back packed across Europe about 20 years ago with husband. We got on the right train, but the wrong car. Woke up in Switzerland instead of Austria because the train split up during the night. husband asked the first guy at train station where was a good place to eat, and the guy was the head chef for the Swiss Olympic team. He fixed us lunch at his restaurant.

Went to the topless beach in the Canary islands. That was 20 years ago...wouldn't do that now, LOL
Wow... we have an adventurer in our midst! Would one day love to visit Switzerland.

Nomad

Staff member
....We always wanted to go to Alaska and did. Thrilled we did this.

....Always wanted to go to Japan. Not convinced we will. Some other close seconds that are good enough though....and are likely to become a reality.

....never want to do again? That’s hard. Nothing stands out. I suppose I don’t wish to have MORE children, but don’t regret having the ones I already have. I suppose I do regret leaving Law School somewhat.

BusynMember

We will probably go to Alaska because my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, whom we are very close to, are moving there to be by their daughter. So we have an open invite, also from our niece. I am excited, even though I don't think I'll like the weather. It's an experience. Different from the rest of the U.S.

I would like to work at a dog rescue, foster dogs, maybe adopt a high needs dog...blind/deaf, missing a leg, a senior, etc. This I believe will be accomplished.

I would very much love to RV vlog as we travel, but not sure that will ever happen :)

For my husband and my honeymoon, we took our kids to Disney world in the middle of the summer. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! Florida in the summer is NO FUN and I have sensitive skin and got skin poisoning!!!!!! Plus it took two hours to get on each ride and all of us were exhausted by then.

Nomad

Staff member
Ah...I understand this thread better now. Summer at Disney World made it clear. Did that...nope. Do not wish to do THAT ever again!!!!! Lol! Clear ! Hot as Hades! Can relate.

BusynMember

Maybe I could have explained it better this way.

1. I have never done this yet, but I hope to....fill in the blank

2. I have done this before and will NEVER do it again....fill in the blank.

Pink Elephant

Ok, you gals gave me ideas.

Lil you especially did.

I would never ever ever ever get on a motorcycle. I did it once and that was enough. Roller coasters were not my idea of fun nor twirly rides that made me feel like throwing up. I have never been in a helicopter but can only imagine how much I would have hated that. I never was a risk taker.

My child birth experience with Bart was easy. My adoption experiences made me ecstatic. But I am a happy grandma now who has raised enough kids.

One thing I did that I would never do again is adopting an older child. They need a lot of help and have been so abused, and I have a soft heart which triggered this desire in me to do this both times, but both ended poorly and I would never have done it if I had believed that some kids are too damaged for family life. So that is one "I would never ever doing this again." Not even if I were forty. A baby, yes. Older than two, no. Never.

On a lighter note, I would never try to find my way around a huge city with only a girlfriend high on pot as my passenger. We made two trips both times attempting to get to OHare Airport. On our first try, we got lost and found ourselves at a stoplight by huge dirty brick buildings and ratty looking teens with boomboxes in the streets staring at us. Nobody was hostile, more curious. Suddenly my friend poked me and said,"Read where we are."
In front of the building or maybe on it (long ago so I don't remember) it said Cabrini Green Housing Project." For those who don't know what this was, it was the most violent and dangerous housing project in Chicago until it was torn down. The light turned green and I was terrified driving all over until I finally found the exit.

The second time (which never should have been attempted) again I got lost and found myself bumper to bumper in rush hour Chicago traffic, in 90 degree weather in a car with no air conditioning. I saw a bunch of Chinese restaurants and everyone on the streets seemed to be Asian. We were in Chinatown.

I was again lost and petrified and yelled to a cab driver beside me to please tell me the way out. He yelled back in a language I did not recognize. Eventually again I did get home. I never got to the airport either time and never tried it again. I was not meant to venture into places like Chicago. And I don't.

I have no sense of direction. Obviously! This was before there were things like GPS. I am not sure one would have helped me. I am that directionally challenged.
So happy there are loving moms like yourself in the world, SOT.

I've always wondered about driving and getting lost in a big city. Definitely not for me. Creeps me out just thinking about it.

BusynMember

Hint: it is scary. If you drive in a huge city, better have an updated GPS or a GREAT sense of direction. I will never forget sitting behind endless cars in the stifling heat barely moving for so long. I was near tears.

Lil

I have no sense of direction. Obviously! This was before there were things like GPS. I am not sure one would have helped me. I am that directionally challenged.

SWOT, I swear we're so much alike in a lot of ways.

I have NO sense of direction, I literally got lost on our own 17 acres, even though it's a triangle with roads down two sides. Hubby had to come find me.

I can read a map and follow GPS though. :)

Back in the 80's when I was in college my girlfriend 's and I would take road trips to Kansas City. Every time I drove. Every time, we got lost in the worst part of town...which isn't all that hard because we were headed for the Plaza, and there are bad areas within like 2 blocks of there! But every time - they made ME get out to ask directions - usually from the guy at the gas station behind the bullet-proof glass! Cowards!

Want to do...

Visit Alaska

Have done...

All these things! Even the topless beach - WTH, you only live once!

BusynMember

Lil we do have much in common. I have always felt a sort of cyber closeness to you, partly because you are kind and funny and partly because you were so much like me with your son. I wasn't as tough as I look back and pretend. And your son was sort of like mine...yes, a problem, but not such a bad problem that he couldn't ever do life.

On the directionally challenged front, when I was driving around the worst areas of Chicago with no idea how to get on the expressway, my friend was begging me NOT to ask anyone for help. She kept saying, "You'll get killed." It scared me. I was never that brave. So I drove around and got MORE lost...lol.

On a sober note, a good friend of mine told me a story about a young man, a friend of theirs who was driving in, of all places, St. Louis and he got lost. He pulled into a gas station to try to ask for directions and was shot and killed. For no reason. He hadn't even gotten to the gas station yet.

ahhjeez

Things I would like to do, but haven't:
Seen a palm tree
Go to the Caribbean with my husband and just flop out on the beach and drink frosty drinks
Go to Key West
Have grandchildren
Drive a tow truck **for some reason I've always thought this would be fun.
Fly on an airplane

Things I've done and will never do again
Go on Superman at six flags. That's a big nope.
Deep Sea Fishing. While I enjoy fishing this seemed never ending. And I really didn't like the feeling of being trapped out there when I was done with it and just wanted to go home.
Have another child. If I could have the same kid over again. LOL. I absolutely loved being pregnant, but my body didn't. I so enjoy being a mother. It's definitely my calling. What I'm most proud of. ♥

AppleCori

Something I have never done yet, but hope to at some point: get rid of almost everything I own and buy all new furniture. And decorations. And clothes. Yes, I know this is shallow.

Something I have done and will never do again: work in a bar. The tips are great, but being around drunk people s*cks.

Lil

Go to Key West

OH YES! I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Key West! When I was in law school, I somehow had some extra money...just a few hundred dollars...and I wanted so badly to go to Key West. But, being the practical person I really HATE that I am, instead of blowing it and having an adventure, I bought a bed. I was still sleeping in the same twin bed I'd had in high school!

So instead of Key West, I bought a queen size water bed and a Jimmy Buffett album, turned the heat up to 80 and lay on the bed listening to music.

Wow, that sounds sad. LOL!

Something I have never done yet, but hope to at some point: get rid of almost everything I own and buy all new furniture. And decorations. And clothes. Yes, I know this is shallow.

Nope. Not shallow. If I suddenly won the lottery - not a HUGE change your whole life amount - but enough to kind of do what you like and still work - I'd sell our house, as-is, get a different one, totally buy all new stuff (mostly).

There! That's a thing I'd love to do that I've never done:

I would like to win the lottery! ;)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have always wanted to go to Europe and the Mediterranean. I may never get the chance, but I can dream!

I never want to go waterskiing, ever, again. Got sucked belly first through a skiing inner tube. I felt like I'd been broken. This was after losing my balance on skis and forgetting to let go... Bounce, bounce, bounce. Mostly on my face.

Lil

This was after losing my balance on skis and forgetting to let go... Bounce, bounce, bounce. Mostly on my face.

That's funny, because it happened to me too.

Not only do you drink a lot of lake water, but you're swimsuit top does NOT stand up to being dragged behind a speedboat face first. :oops: