This is for Pink and all. How do you do your laundry?

Pink Elephant

Those old top-loading washing machines were real mommy machines. :)

And the early ones wore like iron. When husband and I bought our house after he got out of the Army, it came with an elderly washer and dryer. How elderly the washer was, we didn't find out until much later, but it was old.
We replaced the dryer immediately as it was gas and a fire hazard, especially as the pilot light used to go out continually.

Anyway, about 3 yrs later, the washer broke down, so we called out a repairman.

He took one look at the washer and said, "You've got to be kidding me? That thing is 45 years old if it's a day!" It was a Frigidaire. He called the manufacturer, read off the serial number, and after a bit of checking on the mfr side, it turned out that our recently expired washer was one of the very first top loading electric washers made. It was something like 50 years old!

And, up until the day it died, we'd never had a moment's trouble with it.

Needless to say, we didn't repair it: no way to get parts for a machine that old. We wound up buying a new, basic, large capacity machine.[/QUOTE]Oh yes, GN, I agree. My old Maytag was some 30 years old before it finally reared-up on it's feet and said no more, but until such a time it never let me down.

I was reading an article that said an average baby goes through some 8-10 thousand diapers, and I believe it, so taking those numbers and carrying them forth, that means my old washing machine seen some 40,000 plus diapers in it's day, and that doesn't include any diapers it laundered prior to us inheriting it with the sale of our home. It went morning, noon, and night for years! Old reliable is what I named it.

P.S. Love your story!!!

Last edited:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Do you sort colors and whites and use different settings?
Yes, I sort by color and type of fabric. Some of my work clothes have to be washed on delicate and some say on the tag "dry flat" so for those, I lay a towel over my wingback chairs then place the top or pants on that to dry.

Do you use a dryer or a clothes line or both?
I use a dryer. It's too humid where we live but someday if I retire to AZ I will line dry some things. :)

Do you use dryer sheets?
Yes. No particular brand - I look for a bargain.

Do you swear by a certain brand?
Not so much. I do like the way some smell but if I can find something on sale I'll use that.

How often do you wash?
Usually just once a week on the weekend but if I don't get it all done, like towels or sheets I'll throw those in before I go to work and pop them in the dryer when I get home.

Does husband help?
HA!! Hubby does his own laundry unless it's a dress shirt or dress pants, he'll throw those into my laundry basket. He started doing his own laundry many years ago. We had been married only a few years and I did all the laundry including my son's. I also worked full time. I would try to do a load a day but that wasn't always possible. I always told my husband and son, if you are running out of something let me know so I can get it washed. Well, there were more than a few times when husband would tell me the morning of, "I'm out of underwear" to which I would reply, "why didn't you tell me? and a "heated" discussion would ensue. One day when he complained about not having any clean underwear I told him, "you have a choice, I can quit my job and be a stay at home wife who makes sure your laundry is always done, or, you can do your own laundry from now on" :rolleyes: and that's how my husband came to do his own laundry.

***He will help fold towels but doesn't do it the way I like so I will refold them. Yes, I'm a little Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) about how they are folded because they have to fit nice and neat in the linen closet.:p

Lil

***He will help fold towels but doesn't do it the way I like so I will refold them. Yes, I'm a little Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD))) about how they are folded because they have to fit nice and neat in the linen closet.:p

THIS!

If I fold them in half, then half again, then in thirds, they fit perfectly on the shelf, two across. We have a very narrow linen cabinet. Jabber doesn't get that MY way is the PROPER way to fold towels!

:isorock:
I do believe we have some new emojis!

KTMom91

I do the laundry. We have my Nana's old top load washer, no idea how old it is (my Nana died in 1993, so...) and an electric dryer that's maybe five years old. Fabric softener, lavender scent. I used to hang stuff out, but got out of the habit. I do laundry when the basket gets full. Darks, lights, and denim, with sheets and towels by themselves.

Pink Elephant

Question for all.

When hanging the likes of towels and things like that (sheet-like things), do you give each a good snap or shake before pinning to the line to dry?

I do, always have. It helps to open the item up, helps shake-out the wrinkles, and in doing so, the item hangs nicer and more straighter on the line.

I used to do the whip-like snap when hanging diapers... did the same with the rubber pants, too, as they always held water inside of them after washing. Give each pair of rubbers a good snap/shake, turn outside, in, follow-up with another snap/shake, pin to line.

Another trick I did when hanging rubber pants to dry, was I'd pin the pants on one side only (by the elastic waistband) so the pants hung at an angle, which allowed any leftover water-droplets to drip out of the bottom elastic leg hole. No damp elastics when rubber pants were pulled down off the line.

As for hang-drying bed and crib sheets on the line, my favourite method was to drape them over the line and apply 2-3 pins across the top of said sheets to secure. With larger sheets and things, you really didn't need to pin them, because they hung evenly over the line, but applying a couple of security pins ensured the sheets stayed draped over the line.

LOL! Anyone else wash plastic bags by-hand and hang them to dry on the line? I do... :cautious:

AppleCori

I used to wash out plastic baggies (not the sandwich-sized ones, but the bigger ones) but I am currently on a baggie-strike, as my step-son used all my baggies to store his leftover pizza in and threw them all away afterwards.

I haven’t bought any in over a year, maybe more, and we do just fine with cheap plastic wrap.....

Pink Elephant

Another trick I have always done when drying vinyl/plastic/rubber things throughout the colder months, is lay them on top of the electric tumble dryer. The top of the electric dryer always get's warm, but not hot enough to melt said items.

Pink Elephant

I used to wash out plastic baggies (not the sandwich-sized ones, but the bigger ones) but I am currently on a baggie-strike, as my step-son used all my baggies to store his leftover pizza in and threw them all away afterwards.

I haven’t bought any in over a year, maybe more, and we do just fine with cheap plastic wrap.....
Good on you for going on a baggie strike! No reason at all why dear step-son can't use a reusable Rubbermaid or Tupperware container.

I try and always go with reusable (first), but will admit that I, too, rely on tin-foil and plastic-wrap (at times), too.

AppleCori

Good on you for going on a baggie strike! No reason at all why dear step-son can't use a reusable Rubbermaid or Tupperware container.

I try and always go with reusable (first), but will admit that I, too, rely on tin-foil and plastic-wrap (at times), too.

To tell the truth, my supply of Tupperware is woefully inadequate. Between science experiments, the bugs and bees my daughter collects to observe, the ones she used for collecting specimens and dirt and just plain stuff, she has used up a fair amount of what I had.

And, no, I didn’t mind at all. She is getting into her teens, now, and those days are almost gone, but I am glad to sacrifice a few plastic containers for the advancement of science....

Pink Elephant

To tell the truth, my supply of Tupperware is woefully inadequate. Between science experiments, the bugs and bees my daughter collects to observe, the ones she used for collecting specimens and dirt and just plain stuff, she has used up a fair amount of what I had.

And, no, I didn’t mind at all. She is getting into her teens, now, and those days are almost gone, but I am glad to sacrifice a few plastic containers for the advancement of science....
Awww... love your approach and take on childrearing, Apple! Our world needs more moms like you. :)

AppleCori

Awww... love your approach and take on childrearing, Apple! Our world needs more moms like you. :)

My methods aren’t entirely altruistic.

I have an account in which I am saving money earmarked toward a kitchen remodel, and am determined not to buy anything new for the kitchen until then, when I will replace all (some) of my old junk with new stuff.

Of course, that account is in real danger of being used on a mommy-makeover (me make-over) so who knows.....

Pink Elephant

My methods aren’t entirely altruistic.

I have an account in which I am saving money earmarked toward a kitchen remodel, and am determined not to buy anything new for the kitchen until then, when I will replace all (some) of my old junk with new stuff.

Of course, that account is in real danger of being used on a mommy-makeover (me make-over) so who knows.....
Hoping you can live-out your dream, Apple. Just think of the enjoyment you'll get out of a fully renovated kitchen. Wow! That has been a dream of mine forever.

BusynMember

Pink, honestly, I never met anyone else who made hanging sheets a science lol. If I hung clothes and I dont (I actually saw my grandma do it...she had a laundry line in her apartment yard....and I helped her carry stuff up to her place. She swore the clothes smelled fresher but I thought the linens and clothes were too stiff and scratchy).....I think I lost the point of this sentence lol. Ok. Short version.

If I had to hang clothes outside I would have just done it. No frills. No fuss. No thought about how to hang them or good God never would have thought to snap them. I was very ADHD about everything. Fast was good as long as the job got done. I was very focused on being the best Mom I could be and the household stuff just got in my way of being with my kiddos. I never was good at or interested in details anyways. It is interesting to read how you do things, Pink. It's like a different world, at least in my head...lol. I like hearing how other people think and do. Thank you for sharing. Pink, you are so much fun!! I just love your presence here!

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Pink, honestly, I never met anyone else who made hanging sheets a science lol. If I hung clothes and I dont (I actually saw my grandma do it...she had a laugh dry line in her apartment Tourette's Syndrome yard....and I helped her carry stuff up to her place. She swore the clothes smelled fresher but I thought the linens and clothes were too stiff and scratchy).....I think I lost the point of this sentence lol. Ok. Short version.

If I had to hang clothes outside zi would have just done it. No frills. No fuss. No thought about how to hang them or good God never would have thought to snap them. I was very ADHD about everything. Fast was good as long as the job got done. I was very focused on being the best Mom I could be and the household stuff just got in my way. I never was good at or interested in details. It is interesting to read how you do things, Pink. It's like a different world, at least in my head...lol. I like hearing how other people think. Thank you.
Never thought of my ways being like science, but in many ways you're right. So anal I have always been, even when it comes to little things, and like yourself, I, too, enjoy hearing about and reading about how others do things. Makes for interesting convo.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL here I go...

I sort... (1) Whites/light colors (2) DARKS: Purple, red, orange, brown (3) DARKS: Blue, green, black (4) Jeans (5) towels (6) bedding - if the loads are small enough I will combine (2) and (3).

Front-load washer... Powdered detergent, about 1/3 recommended liquid fabric softener. Occasionally I will add either bleach or oxyclean if needed. (Sometimes I even use homemade detergent, but not as much as I used to.) Quick wash, warm, medium spin, medium soil.

Electric dryer, I use the sensor to determine length of drying time, on medium heat except for towels. Those go on high. No dryer sheets. I do have them, but I use when I store clothes for the season.

Hubby helps fold - he does his, hanging stuff, and bedding. I do mine, Rose's, and towels.

I usually use Arm & Hammer detergent and Downy softener. I like the scents and the price.

We sort laundry on Friday nights and I start the load of whites/light colors then - I wash in the order I listed above.

I had an issue shortly after we got the front loader where clothes smelled rank. Found out I was using too much detergent and softener, dropped the amounts and it got better but... changed softener and the odor is GONE. No more Snuggle for us. The washer didn't smell bad, though I do leave the door open after the last load, for at least 2 days.

Folding... Shirts are arm to arm, fold arms over, in half. Shorts are side to side, then in half. Pants are side to side, then in thirds. Underwear are not folded (though I used to), and socks are matched and rolled. I am capable of neatly folding a fitted sheet though I rarely bother... And towels are in half lengthwise, then in half width-wise, then in thirds to fit in the cabinet.

Pink Elephant

LOL here I go...

I sort... (1) Whites/light colors (2) DARKS: Purple, red, orange, brown (3) DARKS: Blue, green, black (4) Jeans (5) towels (6) bedding - if the loads are small enough I will combine (2) and (3).

Front-load washer... Powdered detergent, about 1/3 recommended liquid fabric softener. Occasionally I will add either bleach or oxyclean if needed. (Sometimes I even use homemade detergent, but not as much as I used to.) Quick wash, warm, medium spin, medium soil.

Electric dryer, I use the sensor to determine length of drying time, on medium heat except for towels. Those go on high. No dryer sheets. I do have them, but I use when I store clothes for the season.

Hubby helps fold - he does his, hanging stuff, and bedding. I do mine, Rose's, and towels.

I usually use Arm & Hammer detergent and Downy softener. I like the scents and the price.

We sort laundry on Friday nights and I start the load of whites/light colors then - I wash in the order I listed above.

I had an issue shortly after we got the front loader where clothes smelled rank. Found out I was using too much detergent and softener, dropped the amounts and it got better but... changed softener and the odor is GONE. No more Snuggle for us. The washer didn't smell bad, though I do leave the door open after the last load, for at least 2 days.

Folding... Shirts are arm to arm, fold arms over, in half. Shorts are side to side, then in half. Pants are side to side, then in thirds. Underwear are not folded (though I used to), and socks are matched and rolled. I am capable of neatly folding a fitted sheet though I rarely bother... And towels are in half lengthwise, then in half width-wise, then in thirds to fit in the cabinet.
Great post, Annie!

Speaking of laundry, I'm doing laundry today, right now, and will be ironing today as well. :)

It's cooler out today as we have had a few days or rain now, so I'm using my electric dryer today, which I don't like as much as my clothesline, but it is faster. I like to get everything laundry related out of the way the same day I start it. Washing, drying, ironing, hanging, then it's done.

AppleCori

Great post, Annie!

Speaking of laundry, I'm doing laundry today, right now, and will be ironing today as well. :)

It's cooler out today as we have had a few days or rain now, so I'm using my electric dryer today, which I don't like as much as my clothesline, but it is faster. I like to get everything laundry related out of the way the same day I start it. Washing, drying, ironing, hanging, then it's done.

What are you ironing today, Pink?

I don’t do much ironing, I only have a few shirts that need it, and don’t use them every week.

My daughter’s ex-fiancé had a housekeeper, and when she would go there, the housekeeper would do her laundry and she would iron everything, even her underwear! So I keep imagining you there ironing your underwear while responding on this forum....

AppleCori

Laundry question—do you wash once per week or daily/whenever you have a full load?

I wash a load about five days per week, usually only one load per day (occasionally two).

I feel overwhelmed if I have too many dirty clothes piled up.