This is for Pink and all. How do you do your laundry?

Pink Elephant

I either wear light-colored jeans or athletic wear for everyday. I wash the exercise clothes after ever wear, and the light-colored jeans after every couple or three.

I save my dark jeans and slacks for going out places that require a bit more dressing up than usual, and try not to launder unless dirty.
I', like you, Apple, in that I wear comfy casual wear inside. With me it's all about sweats and loose-fitting comfy tops, but whenever I leave the house I like to dress for the occasion. No casual wear outside the home.

AppleCori

That's just it, I was able to overlook a lot for the many extras dear husband always did. Now, had he not helped with anything, well, that would have been a different story.

One time I had this husband.....I asked him to go get my oil changed on my vehicle, because I was going to be driving around eight hours to a funeral, and I had stuff to do to get ready.

He told me no, he was busy.

I asked if I could take his car, as my oil change was overdue and I didn’t want to drive that far without changing it. He said he had to have his vehicle, for some reason I can’t remember.

I told him I would never ask him for anything again, and I meant it.

I don’t think we ever spent another night under the same roof. He still contacts me occasionally, and I don’t think he has a clue, even now.

AppleCori

I', like you, Apple, in that I wear comfy casual wear inside. With me it's all about sweats and loose-fitting comfy tops, but whenever I leave the house I like to dress for the occasion. No casual wear outside the home.

I don’t ever wear loose-fitting tops or baggy sweats. I wear the athletic clothes that you wear to the gym, with a fitted shirt or athletic shirt.

Lil

Some men just don't do women's work but they pull their weight in other ways.

You know, one of the few times I remember an actual SMACK being given (other than occasional spankings as a kid) was my mom just losing it on my brother once. He was a teenager. She told him to do the dishes. His response was a moody, "That's woman's work." She didn't even hesitate and reacted, whirled around and just slapped him right across the face! She felt very bad about it later and told me all she could hear was her father telling her to do the "squaw's work". He never said that again, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

One time I had this husband.....I asked him to go get my oil changed on my vehicle, because I was going to be driving around eight hours to a funeral, and I had stuff to do to get ready.

He told me no, he was busy.

I asked if I could take his car, as my oil change was overdue and I didn’t want to drive that far without changing it. He said he had to have his vehicle, for some reason I can’t remember.

I told him I would never ask him for anything again, and I meant it.

I don’t think we ever spent another night under the same roof. He still contacts me occasionally, and I don’t think he has a clue, even now.
Yep, those types are plentiful today. I've had friends who wrapped themselves up with that type and none of their marriages lasted. Shameful how people treat each other once a ring is placed on each others fingers. For many, marriage is the killer. It seems to breed a level of control over the other person (not all relationships), but a lot.

Pink Elephant

You know, one of the few times I remember an actual SMACK being given (other than occasional spankings as a kid) was my mom just losing it on my brother once. He was a teenager. She told him to do the dishes. His response was a moody, "That's woman's work." She didn't even hesitate and reacted, whirled around and just slapped him right across the face! She felt very bad about it later and told me all she could hear was her father telling her to do the "squaw's work". He never said that again, that's for sure.
I've never smacked any of my kids across the face. That has always been a major no-no in my world. I think when things progress to that point, there are deeper, more serious underlying issues at play, not to mention, poor self-control.

I'm all for giving an unruly child a spanking (when needed), but that's where it should end.

Lil

I've never smacked any of my kids across the face. That has always been a major no-no in my world. I think when things progress to that point, there are deeper, more serious underlying issues at play, not to mention, poor self-control.

I'm all for giving an unruly child a spanking (when needed), but that's where it should end.

My mom was wonderful, really. We got very few spankings and I can think of 4 times in my entire life when a slap was given in my house, twice to my brother and twice to me...and we were mid to late teens all four times, certainly old enough to control our own selves.

The above smack - which as I said, she felt horrible about after, was indeed poor self control; more of a reflex. I got one of those once too...I don't remember even what it was about, but Mom was definitely in the wrong that time and knew it and apologized after she found me - I left and went to the barn and stayed there a good long time and scared the heck out of her and she deserved it.

Once mom slipped and fell and actually was in pain - and I laughed at her. She told me to stop laughing and I didn't...actually after the smack I laughed even harder. She gave up.

Once my brother (about age 19 and over 6' and muscular) just LOST HIS MIND after a fight with his girlfriend over the phone. He was yelling and screaming and put his fist thru the plaster wall! My little fat mom waded into him swinging with both hands. As soon as she connected he stopped and started crying and everything calmed down. She later said she hadn't even thought, just reacted to his tantrum and realized later that if he'd have hit her she'd have died. An exaggeration, but yeah...he'd have done some damage.

Is slapping someone appropriate? Probably not. But I admit if I hadn't been across the room, so he had time to know it was coming and duck, I'd have slapped my own 17 year old son right across the mouth the day he called me a b**ch - and I would not have felt bad about it. (Incidentally, he never did it again even though I missed.) My own mom was born in 1927...in her generation, certain things got you slapped...usually cursing someone or backtalking. I don't actually blame her a bit (for 3 of them). If nothing else, we certainly knew not to backtalk our mother! Even though backtalk was never the reason for a smack, we always assumed we'd get one for it.

BusynMember

My mom was hideous but we never got spanked. I used to ask her to spank me and stop yelling but she wouldn't. I think the demeaning words were worse. Truly.

If you never got spanked, you don't have the urge to spank...it's not normal to you. My dad slapped me a few times and it was so odd for him that I laughed and he would just walk away looking embarrassed.

I am not sure but it seems to me that in Jewish homes, and I lived as a child in a town that was over 95,percent Jewish, it was not common to spank. I am sure some did but it wasn't common to see kids getting spanked even if they were having a meltdown in public. Yelled at, yes. Screamed at, yes. Hit, not so much. Moms are often in charge of Jewish homes with Dad in the background.

It all seemed normal when I was a kid, but after I left the area I found out it was unusual, although I do think Mom runs the home in MANY families, ethnicity aside.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

My mom was wonderful, really. We got very few spankings and I can think of 4 times in my entire life when a slap was given in my house, twice to my brother and twice to me...and we were mid to late teens all four times, certainly old enough to control our own selves.

The above smack - which as I said, she felt horrible about after, was indeed poor self control; more of a reflex. I got one of those once too...I don't remember even what it was about, but Mom was definitely in the wrong that time and knew it and apologized after she found me - I left and went to the barn and stayed there a good long time and scared the heck out of her and she deserved it.

Once mom slipped and fell and actually was in pain - and I laughed at her. She told me to stop laughing and I didn't...actually after the smack I laughed even harder. She gave up.

Once my brother (about age 19 and over 6' and muscular) just LOST HIS MIND after a fight with his girlfriend over the phone. He was yelling and screaming and put his fist thru the plaster wall! My little fat mom waded into him swinging with both hands. As soon as she connected he stopped and started crying and everything calmed down. She later said she hadn't even thought, just reacted to his tantrum and realized later that if he'd have hit her she'd have died. An exaggeration, but yeah...he'd have done some damage.

Is slapping someone appropriate? Probably not. But I admit if I hadn't been across the room, so he had time to know it was coming and duck, I'd have slapped my own 17 year old son right across the mouth the day he called me a b**ch - and I would not have felt bad about it. (Incidentally, he never did it again even though I missed.) My own mom was born in 1927...in her generation, certain things got you slapped...usually cursing someone or backtalking. I don't actually blame her a bit (for 3 of them). If nothing else, we certainly knew not to backtalk our mother! Even though backtalk was never the reason for a smack, we always assumed we'd get one for it.
I loathe old-fashioned parenting. In fact I have a good friend who's parents mistreated her and to this day I don't acknowledge her folks. I quit acknowledging them while still in my teens.

Pink Elephant

My mom was hideous but we never got spanked. I used to ask her to spank me and stop yelling but she wouldn't. I think the demeaning words were worse. Truly.

If you never got spanked, you don't have the urge to spank...it's not normal to you. My dad slapped me a few times and it was so odd for him that I laughed and he would just walk away looking embarrassed.

I am not sure but it seems to me that in Jewish homes, and I lived as a child in a town that was over 95,percent Jewish, it was not common to spank. I am sure some did but it wasn't common to see kids getting spanked even if they were having a meltdown in public. Yelled at, yes. Screamed at, yes. Hit, not so much. Moms are often in charge of Jewish homes with Dad in the background.

It all seemed normal when I was a kid, but after I left the area I found out it was unusual, although I do think Mom runs the home in MANY families, ethnicity aside.
I remember lots of spankings, mostly my sibs getting it. There were times I'd stick-up for them and scorn my mom out for spanking them.

BusynMember

A non violent spanking to me would have been preferable to the ridicule I received but it never happened with horrible mom and dad maybe three times usually impulsively and made me laugh. I always liked Dad way more than Mom. He was MUcH nicer to me than my mom and I thought my mother goadrd home and wasean to him in the same way she was to me. No spanking in my house but lots of screaming.

I don't remember much spanking going on at all and I don't think my parents got hit either. Jewish families were never much into spanking. At least not where I lived. And it was so Jewish that I used to ask "Why do you always say that were a minority? Everyone is Jewish!" That impacted probably my whole childhood. Jews work very hard and tend to be high academics so most had no need to hang clothes or not use diaper service or buy really difficult lawnmowers. So I didn't see that, although with my grandmother, she was from the Depression. They had some money but they wouldn't spend it. Lived in a crummy apartment all their lives and they didn't have to. But my grandma was so much like me...things were not important to her.

Pink Elephant

A non violent spanking to me would have been preferable to the ridicule I received but it never happened with horrible mom and dad maybe three times usually impulsively and made me laugh. I always liked Dad way more than Mom. He was MUcH nicer to me than my mom and I thought my mother goadrd home and wasean to him in the same way she was to me. No spanking in my house but lots of screaming.

I don't remember much spanking going on at all and I don't think my parents got hit either. Jewish families were never much into spanking. At least not where I lived. And it was so Jewish that I used to ask "Why do you always say that were a minority? Everyone is Jewish!" That impacted probably my whole childhood. Jews work very hard and tend to be high academics so most had no need to hang clothes or not use diaper service or buy really difficult lawnmowers. So I didn't see that, although with my grandmother, she was from the Depression. They had some money but they wouldn't spend it. Lived in a crummy apartment all their lives and they didn't have to. But my grandma was so much like me...things were not important to her.
I did a lot of yelling, too, when my kids were little. Sometimes I'd take the wooden spoon and smack it against something to make a loud noise to scare my kids into smartening-up.

I could have been the richest mother in town, yet I still would have hung clothes from a clothesline and used cloth diapers. Being at home fulltime and doing the mommy thing, anything I did related to being old-fashioned or traditional for the time helped make me feel even more like a mom/homemaker, and that was right up my alley. :)

I remember babysitting for this one mother that used to always be behind on her housekeeping, and I was always so giving and understanding. She'd tell me, "I have a load of laundry in the washing machine right now, but when it's done can you hang it out on the line for me", and I was all over it. I might have been age 13/14, but knowing I was helping that mom out and just knowing how much she appreciated me, made me feel so grown-up and mature. She always had baskets full of unfolded diapers, too, so I'd fold and stack all of the diapers for her, and when she'd get home she'd give me a great big hug. I truly believe that's why my connection to the past and all things old-fashioned is so strong. It was just a part of who I was.

I remember trying to push one of those old reel mowers. OMG, they were so heavy, all cast iron and steel. I could push it for only a few feet, but the idea of using such a mower today interests me. The exercise alone would be so great, as would the workout pushing such a heavy contraption.

By the way, my dear husband never changed a diaper, nor did my dad.

AppleCori

Having a fit body (I'm sure) helps. Let me tell you, Apple, you would NOT want to see me in a pair of yoga pants or tight-fitting athletic wear. LOL!

Oh, I didn’t say I had a fit body!

That’s why I put my shirt on when I hear him drive up!

I was visiting my adult daughter recently, and we were wearing the same, more or less, athletic wear. I couldn’t help but notice how different our profiles looked....

Pink Elephant

Oh, I didn’t say I had a fit body!

That’s why I put my shirt on when I hear him drive up!

I was visiting my adult daughter recently, and we were wearing the same, more or less, athletic wear. I couldn’t help but notice how different our profiles looked....
:)

I found my body changed significantly after I had my first child, and after kid #4, it really changed. I just thought my butt was big before I had kids! LOL! I'm still firm, but always had wider hips, a bigger bottom, and heavier thighs, but measurements for the three increased after I had kids.

Dear daughters are pear-shaped, too.

AppleCori

:)

I found my body changed significantly after I had my first child, and after kid #4, it really changed. I just thought my butt was big before I had kids! LOL! I'm still firm, but always had wider hips, a bigger bottom, and heavier thighs, but measurements for the three increased after I had kids.

Dear daughters are pear-shaped, too.

I have noticed a difference in the past few years. My hubby loves junk food, and we used to have it around the house until we decided to get back on the exercise and diet routine. I ate more than I needed to, apparently.

I have a tummy, now. No use denying it. I’m working on it, but it’s stubborn. My daughter’s tummy is wash-board flat, and mine was noticeable in comparison.