This is how he packs for camp

TerryJ2

First, he refuses to get out of his chair and turn off his PS2, so I tell him I will pack for him.
Then, I am 3/4 of the way through, and he barges in and yells that he TOLD me 10X that he would do it.
I give up and go to bed.

This a.m., he has emptied out nearly everything I packed, taken his wet jeans out of the washer and laid them on his bed. Soaking wet.
"Finished!" he announces.

And he wonders why I follow up on everything he does.

We drop him off at overnight camp in 1 hr.
I've got the dryer on the highest setting.
How do you roll up a sleeping bag with a broken zipper? Never mind.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
So did you send him with wet jeans and sleeping bag?

Hey my husband is just finally learning how to pack! LOL
But he tries to make me, he claims I "Do a better job"!
My girls on the other hand just dump out everything from their drawers. lol

TerryJ2

Oh, I like the dumping out the drawers idea. Speedy!

Yeah, I considered just letting him take the wet jeans. But I'd have to put up with-the smell in the car on Fri when I drive him home. {gag}
So it wasn't totally altruistic of me to dry them. ;)

Yes, he's at camp, husband and I had a nice sushi dinner, :sushi:

and I've got 5 days to paint and write. Yaaaay!

:jumphappy:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Enjoy your week!!!! Glad he made it off o.k. Your difficult child's packing sounds a lot like my difficult child's packing!

Marguerite

Did he have a list?

When difficult child 1 went to camp the organisers gave the kids a list of what to pack. We let difficult child 1 loose with the list and he did a great job. Without a list - he would be just like your difficult child.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
Terry, for many kids with executive functioning weaknesses, the whole idea of packing is overwhelming. It requires a plan and understanding what packing would entail. I also would give difficult child some lead time and choices. Ask him when he would like to pack and remind him (tonight is when you wanted to pack). What time would work for you?
It's like telling my difficult child to clean his room. This doesn't compute.
I tell him, trash in the trash can, books on the shelves, make the bed, clothes in the hamper and continue on item by item. He needs specifics.
There should be a list for him to follow. My difficult child wouldn't know how to start either. I would have to ask him questions that cue him.
What do you need when you first get up(toothbrush, toothpaste, face soap etc, etc) What do you need after a shower? What would you use if you get cold/wet/hot? What would you need if there are mosquito's? etc.
You get my drift.
If your difficult child has some difficulty with the concept of packing and hides his weakness by being oppositional you may want to try another route.

TerryJ2

Yes. He had a list.
He blew me off.
He got overwhelmed, pulling things out of his closet, but then gave up and wanted to play his PS2 again. So you're right, I think he's hiding his weakness by being oppositional. I reminded him 4X to get his toothbrush, and he never got it. I thought he could do at least ONE thing.
Mostly, he got rid of shirts he didn't want in the suitcase. It gave him a sense of control.
I also remembered that he gets 2 t-shirts at camp, so he wouldn't have to pack as many.