This is new

Nessie

My son was sentenced to 3 years in prison last Monday, likely he will serve 1 year as full parole opportunities were passed. I miss him, I’m relieved, I’m devastated, I’m embarrassed, I’m really sad. Very hard to deal with all of these feelings. My hope is he will get clean and maybe start to make amends for the destruction he has caused. I’m thinking in a bit I would like to make a support group for people, like me, who have had their lives turned upside down by drugs etc. I live in a small island so no NA or much of anything.

EarthIsHard

I'm sorry to hear your son has to spend time in prison Nessie. It may be a good thing if he chooses to use his time clean and doesn't want to return. You should not be embarrassed at all, it's not your fault, and surprisingly, there are many more people in the same boat than I ever thought. It is sad though it might give you time to visit with him in a controlled environment. Never fun though. My thoughts are with you.

toughlovin

You could start your own alanon meeting for parents and use their format. The parents meeting I go to was started by someone years ago because she didnt really connect with the other alanon meeting that was near by. Its a great meeting, mostly parents and has been a great source of support for us.