This is ridiculous. Any suggestions for a "sharp" top chipped tooth?

DDD

Part of a lower molar broke off. The tooth is probably 70% old (and I do mean old) filling. It is hurting the side of my tongue. Bad timing. I called the Dentist office and the manager said "DDD you had that tooth checked before your upper GI and Dr. X told you that it needed to be worked and crowned."

I'm getting fussy this week people. Uh "Ms. Manager that was less than a week ago and as I just explained I am going to have surgery very soon." I ask "is there anything that overlays rough surfaces temporarily?" "Well Dr. X has an opening next week but he doesn't have enough time to crown. He can see you at such and such.

SO I'm wondering if there is anything that works like old chewed gum. My Grandmother used to lay a piece of gum over her rough tooth to protect her tongue. Candle wax doesn't work. We used to have stupid little bottles of gross juice that were wax like and we chewed back in the day. I just want to protect my tongue and I really am afraid to have the Dentist try to buff the surface in case it collapses.

Isn't there something that kids with braces use? Whine. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
In the dental section of the drug store (walgreens, cvs, etc) they sell the wax to cover sharp and pointy ends of braces - perhaps that would work? My dentist once put bondo on a chipped tooth of mine.

Tiapet

Old Hand
There is a wax that they give the kids with braces and there is also stuff you can buy at the pharmacy but I'm afraid that it won't stay in place real well. You could give it a try. I'm not sure what the name of it is. I did try it myself as I've had the same problem as you and tried it. It just kept falling out.

DDD

Thanks. I "thought" there was something that went with wearing braces. It's been close to forty years since easy child has braces and I haven't gotten over the shock of how much it cost $$$ to remember the supplementals. I'm going to go look. I don't expect anything to stay in place long but just to provide temporary relief. Fingers crossed. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was going to suggest that wax, too. I've had many tooth issues and it's saved me more than once!

slsh

member since 1999
DDD - You might call dentist and see if he can just fill/build up the broken part of the tooth. I had a root canal done and never went back to have the permanent filling put in afterward (don't ask). Anyway, here we are 4 years later and the tooth broke, like the entire inside part of it. Left me with a very sharp piece of tooth (Dracula would have been jealous) on the inside part of mouth (cosmetically from outside no difference). Dragged my sorry self back to dentist, who basically built me a new tooth. Not meant to last forever but, since I assumed he was going to have to pull it, a decent result. He just put a metal piece around the tooth, like a mold (actually, more like when they're pouring concrete, LOL, and they put the whatever-they're-called in to hold the design - make sense?), then used some kind of plastic (?) filling material and just filled in the whole missing piece. I thought the thing would collapse too, especially with- the root canal, but it's built up very nicely and feels really stable. Eventually I'm going to have to get it crowned, but dental work is not on my list of fun things to do anytime in the near future, and this is holding me just fine for now, plus it got rid of the exposed knife-like edge of the broken tooth.

Especially with potential surgery looming, dentist should be able to fix this enough so you don't have wounds on your tongue!

In the meantime, for the (mumbled #) months I procrastinated calling dentist to get this fixed, I actually did use chewing gum to cover the broken part and I chewed *very* carefully.

klmno

Clove (even the clove gum) is supposed to help with pain. I think the only permanent solution is to see a dentist file it and possibly put a little cap on it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Walgreens - DENT TEMP - http://www.medshopexpress.com/107897.html?gclid=CNqGgZTc568CFQOFnQodjVOO0g

It's temporary dental cement it's about $4.00 - and you just take it out - roll it in your fingers......then set it over the chipped tooth (make it heavy on the side that is pointy or hurting) and keep the tongue away from it until it hardens. It should last a few days. If it falls out - REPLACE/ REPEAT.

Used it a lot - works great - Nothing is going to be better than seeing a dentist of course and you'll want to make sure you brush, floss and gargle with listerine and really swish out any debris and get the tooth dry as possible BEFORE you do this - but it should allow your tongue to stop poking at it - As soon as the tongue feels the smooth surface a few times? it will leave it alone and tell the brain everything is back to normal and the tongue will sit back in between the teeth where it normally does and stop PLAYING with the tooth. It does that as a reaction to the pain and problem. Fix the problem the sentinal of a tongue will relax.

DDD

I'm analyzing........very carefully analyzing..........the options. I have read on the pharmacy sites the details of your recommendations. It's a little scarey because more than one specifies "product can only be removed by a Dentist". We use the "best" dentist in the community but he gets BIG bucks for what he does AND you can never get "one" thing done because x, y, and z "need immediate attention too". Sigh. I do have an appointment. I am not in pain (thank you, God) but my tongue does "go there" and "maybe" if I use just chewing gum for a few days my brain will tell my tongue...forget it, nothing there to explore. on the other hand if I use a more permanent temporary solution that requires the Dentist to remove and replace (whine, whine) then I'll be going in debt that I don't want to incur. I'm thinkin' guys. I won't keep going on and on about this. I'm just a little raggy this week and don't feel like the decisive business woman and head of family that I've been for decades. Just ignore me. DDD:crazy2:

Star*

call 911........call 911
The stuff I told you about? FALLS off from your own spit. (Not kidding) The package may say - must be removed by a dentist - but either I have the most acidic spit in the world or it really doesn't do what it says - and I'm going to guess - it's not that tough. I have to reapply it. I've NEVER had a dentist have to remove it. and I've used it A LOT.

DammitJanet

the wax for braces is bee's wax but it is special for mouths with no fragrance. You just peel off a little bit, roll it around with your finger to soften it and warm it, then stick on the offending owwie sharp place.

susiestar

Roll With It
My orthodontist used paraffin. Same stuff you use on canning jars. He put it into little envelopes and gave it to you if you asked. I know it is paraffin because I saw his assistant cutting the big block up in the back room one day. It was exactly the same stuff sold at the store for canning - Ball brand at that! You can use beeswax because even if it isn't specially processed to get the scent out it won't hurt you. My great gma used to use it all the time on tooth problems.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I never thought to cover one. In a few days it seemed to dull on it's own. Like vet emergencies, my teeth never did anything unless it was on a fllippin weekend, ugh