This is why healthcare costs are so ridiculous

klmno

I had heard that CA had much worse cuts than most states and we've had a lot here. Ktmom- I paid COBRA until I could no longer afford it- then learned about one of the more recent laws (maybe started 1-2 years ago) that reduced COBRA payments but you have to initiate some process or something first. I'm not sure if it would apply to you, but it is a federal law so should be available everywhere. It might be worth checking to see if you would be eligible. It supposedly cut payments 50% or more. I had been paying about my cost of a house payment, too. Our mental health dept is no longer providing care to adults, except in certain extreme cases so there would be no way I could afford it. There sliding scale goes down to about $3- no private provider goes anywhere close to that low. I talked to one therapist in the past whose sliding scale meant you paid 90-100 for an hour instead of 150-190.

Also, it was one of the more recent laws that allowed me to be eligible for VA health benefits, if anyone out there is a vet or has a spouse that is a vet and didn't qualify before, check into it again.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
That completely shocks me! I had been led to believe that finding providers was a major issue around here. And I saw signs in both dr's offices and psychiatrist/tdocs offices saying they did not take medicaid patients any longer. Not to hi-jack the thread, but if it turns out that difficult child comes home and we are still in this area, I might PM you to find out which providers are accepting this because difficult child will have to go on medicaid.

She hasn't used it for tdocs/psychiatrists so I can't speak to that, but she's gotten 100% coverage from pharmacies, pediatrician, family practitioner, obgyn, neurologist, ENT, every other doctor has happily accepted it, as have every hospital she's been to. Oh, and ambulance service. I don't think you'll have a problem from a physical health standpoint.

DammitJanet

It must be a locality thing with medicaid and medicare acceptance. Here? Doctors would go out of business if they didnt take assignment. I am sure there are a few who dont take it but not many. Especially if you say those magic words...Im paying with Medicare...they are more than happy to welcome you in! I guess knowing that no matter what, they are going to get paid something and they can hang their hats on a set amount.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Here is a link to the federal Health Care site www.healthcare.gov

I was checking out the high risk pool for Danny - came across an example of a 50 year old in FLA where the premium would be 500 and something. That is over half of what I pay for my mortgage. Thats crazy. A 1,495.00 difference in bags between what the insurance will pay for and what someone is charging, thats absolutely insane. And "writing off" the difference - they are not bothered - they get a break on their corporate taxes for the loss. A recent bill for Danny going to the ER for a Kidney Stone (they "think" cause they couldn't find one and said he may have passed it) over 15,000 for 4 hours in the ER, a pain shot and a scan of his kidney. Good thing he didn't need a leg removed or something.

As long as our health care system is mainly ran by "for profit" corporations, the system will hover. I have nothing against capitalism, but this is one part of everyones life it should not be involved in. I dont even like to go to the doctor - my focus seems to be not on what could be wrong, but on gawd, what if I have another pre-existing condition, like my BiPolar (BP), weight, anxiety and panic attacks aren't enough to preclude me from insurance if I lose mine.

Marcie

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Pre-existing... Hee hee... Anyone aware that once you have been SEEN for infertility - even if it AIN'T YOU, it's the OTHER PERSON - you can't get insurance? And my ins co likes to jerk me around... Still wondering about the cards I ordered... Oh yeah. They didn't pay for one scrip 'cause the ID number didn't exist (see post #15 on this thread)... But then yesterday the other pharmacy was able to get a one-time OK on me paying $15 copay through them but in the future it would have to go through the other pharmacy because they were preferred - the other one being the one they refused to pay for the scrip. And round and round we go...

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Funny enough, I had to go to the doctor this a.m. for him to check out a mole that was going wonky on my left temple. . Said it didn't llook cancerous, but was most likely pre cancerous, but best to take it out, get it biopsied and not do a wait and see if it changes.. Phew./Whew - I don't know f it was stressing me out more that it had appeared, or the fact that I will have a shaved patch on the side of my heaad - and when I said "today?" he said no, the insurance company has to give you an authorization- you will get a letter in the mail. And those two skin tags by your eye whih are causing problems putting in your contact lenses, we have to get an authorization for EACH of those because they may come back and say its cosmetic.

Soon as the date comes round to review insurance, am going back to a PPO

Marcie

tawnya

Marcie,

I had a peculiar looking spot on my hip (butt) removed a couple of years ago, and they said it was cosmetic.

Go figure. I'm glad I'm not that vain, lol.

SRL

I had a peculiar looking spot on my hip (butt) removed a couple of years ago, and they said it was cosmetic.

Go figure. I'm glad I'm not that vain, lol.

LOL, the doctor sure coded that wrong! I suppose you have to be sure to make the doctor think it's his/her idea to remove it.:doctor: