This might not be interesting to anyone but me but Im telling anyway

DammitJanet

I have become semi friends with a famous country singer songwriter and we have begun talking in email about doing something for Randy Travis. My friend actually was asked to write a very poignant and timely song for Randy about a year or so ago and Randy recorded it. I heard my friend sing it the 11th of August and it was just so touching. I love this guy to death. Well after I say Jason on the 11th I got to thinking that we really needed to do something for Randy and I emailed Jason and we came up with the idea that I would make basically a music video using pictures of Randy with the song Jason wrote behind it...and we would use the version with Jason singing it. Jason is going to be the one to get it to Randy because he knows where he is. I would have no idea and if I tried to send it, it would just be fan mail and be junked. Jason is in the biz so he can get in.

But I simply cannot believe I am collaborating with Nashville music stars...LOL. This is so exciting for me. I simply sent him one email and he responded in a flash saying Oh Janet, I so remember you! You have been to see me for 6 years now, how could I forget!

If you want to see who my friend is, look up Jason Matthews. He is so good. He has a FB page.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Too cool Janet. :)

Way back when my Mom was friends with a country music dude name of Atkins, can't be certain of the first name but can see him clearly in my mind's eye. He was amazing with instruments and played with many big names in country music.....I mean the old time legend stars. I got to meet bunches of those stars personally. I suppose it's sort of too bad that at 12 yrs old I didn't know who the heck they were and was pretty unimpressed. lol Well, I knew who Roy Clark was cuz my grandma watched him on tv but he was a total rude jerk (I'm being nice). Oddly at that age....performers didn't impress me much and it didn't quite register with me that these were important people, famous people. And it doesn't seem the experiences turned me into a country music fan either. lol

My mom never officially dated the guy. They met somewhere and hit it off and were more friends than anything. Hung out for about 2 yrs and had a blast. Odd that when I think back now as an older adult......my mom tended to get around and managed to date some unusual people. lol

Enjoy yourself Janet. This Jason sounds like a really nice guy. But if you're helping him write songs for himself or Randy ( who IS a nice guy, met him when he was just getting started), you might want to look into protecting your work legally.

muttmeister

That is really exciting!

Ordinarily I don't like country music but I do like some of Randy Travis's stuff. I'll be anxious to hear and see it when it's all done.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet, That is truly inspirational, and shows off your INCREDIBLE talent for being creative and loving! Randy Travis is lucky to have a friend like - MEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee2. ROFL. (snort)

witzend

Too cool Janet. :)

Way back when my Mom was friends with a country music dude name of Atkins, can't be certain of the first name but can see him clearly in my mind's eye.

You aren't talking about Chet Atkins, are you? Chet Atkins is a SUPERSTAR. Roy Clark was big in his day, but Chet Atkins will always be a star. He didn't play backup, singers backed up his music!

PS - I'm not a big country music fan - particularly not a fan of what they call country music today. I love good music, and I always enjoyed Randy Travis. I do hope that he will be able to turn things around.

Last edited:

donna723

If you're talking about Chet Atkins, Witz is right! Chet Atkins was one of the HUGE stars of country music! There's even models of guitars named for him. My first ex's mother had been a major fan of his and they even got to go in the studio one time while he was recording!

Country music is not my first choice but I've always liked it and living as close to Nashville as I do, the local media is always keeping up with the country music stars. I was always a fan of Randy Travis and it's a shame to see what's been going on with him lately. He needs some very serious interventions and help and I really hope it happens for him soon.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz, I honestly could not say if his name was Chet or not. At the age of 12 or so I wasn't even into music (as far as knowing who sung what ect), let alone country music. The few I knew were because Grandma watched Hee Haw when I was young, she watched it religiously and so I got to know several that way as far as what they sang and who they were. I'm probably lucky to recall his last name being Atkins, but that is because I had a hard time saying/spelling it at first and well, it was sort of drummed into my head.

I do know he hung out with the big names. And I recall his feelings being hurt that Mom turned down an offer for her and I to join him on his summer tour. Then she hooked up with husband number 3....and I'm guessing now that might be why he never visited again.

But at 12, I pretty much, in many ways, lived in my own little world. lol

DammitJanet

Im not writing music for Jason...lord I wish I could..lol. He is a singer songwriter and writes for major singers.

Donna, Jason actually lives in Columbia TN now. I laugh at how he describes it. One side of the street has all these fast food restaurants and the other has the hospital. Get your heart attack on one side and angioplasty on the other..lmao. He has the funniest way with words. Of course!

If you guys ever hear about a singer songwriter show coming to your city..go. Normally the tickets are very reasonably priced and you cannot beat it for a nights entertainment. I call it a combo of good music and comedy. We pay $15 a ticket and we are there for 3 hours. You cant even see a movie for that. Drinks are a $1.50 and popcorn is $1.

As far as meeting any other famous people, well, my only other claim to fame was back in 1983 I met Kenny Rogers in a bar he owns or owned down in FL. My mom and I had stopped in there for some lunch and I had no idea it was his bar but I was playing some of the music on the jukebox and had picked some of his songs. Hello Darlin' was one of the ones I picked. Suddenly I heard this guy behind me singing it along with the music and I turned around...I did a double take and told him..."has anyone ever told you that you look and sound just like Kenny Rogers?" He laughed and said well maybe that is because I am! I didnt believe him at first until he showed me his license. He asked me to dance which embarrassed me to no end because I cant dance. LOL. The folks behind the bar got the biggest kick out of it because I really didnt believe him but they vouched for him and he took me to dinner that night. He was really nice. And no..nothing sexual at all!

donna723

Ha! Janet, I'm less than sixty miles away from Columbia, Tennessee and he's exactly right about it! There is one HUGE hospital on one side of the main road that just seems to be getting bigger and bigger, and at least one of every restaurant franchise there is lined up along the other side of the street! That hospital is where my daughter went to nursing school. Columbia is the closest town to us that has a mall and a movie theater, although we're about the same distance away from Jackson. Jackson is maybe a little bigger than Columbia but they're both pretty good sized "small" towns.

Back in my younger days of running around with musicians, my notorious "groupie" days:fingerscrossed: and eight years of being married to a musician ... I met a lot of famous people but they were more of the rock variety than country. But if I ever see a celebrity just out somewhere, I tend to do exactly the same thing that you did! I would be thinking, "Gee, that guy looks just like Kenny Rogers" - not, "Wow! That's Kenny Rogers"! But just a few weeks ago, the Marshall Tucker Band spent the night in the neat little hotel a half block from my house! Their fancied-up tour bus was parked practically across the street!

DammitJanet

Donna, I hate to bust your bubble about Marshall Tucker. We went to see them play about 5 years ago at a local county fair. I was fairly excited since I saw them twice when I was younger. Well...it seems we have both aged and not well..lol. The guys that were originals like the lead singer was a falling down drunk who started of just a bit tipsy but drank his way through a fifth by the time the concert was over. They did have the son of one guy who was pretty good but it was kinda sad in a way.

Where do old rock groups go to die? County fairs.

donna723

Yep! They were playing at some kind of 2-day outdoor "festival" thing near here. I didn't go see them and they've never really been on the top of my list, but they had pictures of them in the paper and they all looked kind of "tired". I just thought it was cool that a nationally known group was staying in our tiny little town in the hotel right next to my house! If I was going to go to this "festival" thing, I would have gone the night before when Charlie Daniels was there!

Star*

call 911........call 911
SO LOUISE.........whens the road trip??????

Love Thelma.....

if you beat box while I drive? I'll help with a bodacious C&W lyrical for you .......OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh klahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain..........