This woman never gives up, even when she's on vacation. Vent!

Californiablonde

Thank you Mattsmom. She's still sick so she's home in bed. I just wrote an update up top. I am hoping she feels well enough for school tomorrow. Thank goodness this didn't happen next week during finals. For that I am grateful.

InsaneCdn

Yay for the school psychiatric for standing behind you!

As far as "being too far behind to graduate"... I don't know your state's exact policies, but HERE? As long as you are "making progress" (i.e. showing up at school even if not under a full load of classes, doing the work, putting in effort), they will give you up to 4 "extra" years to complete your credits at school - after that you have to pay for adult upgrading. In other words, they allow for kids with illness, kids with various challenges... and kids who end up with a really bad year even if it's their own doing!

So what if it takes her an extra year to graduate. 10 years from now it WILL NOT MATTER how long it took... just that she got there.

Hang in there, CB!

Californiablonde

Thank you, InsaneCdn. Since difficult child is in special day classes I do think she qualifies for an extra year. Actually it's until the age of 21. I would love to see her graduate on time with her classmates but I am prepared for the chance that it might not happen. She may need extra time but I am confident she will get there. It may be an uphill battle but I have faith that she can do it. Her dad says she will never be successful but I disagree with him. She loves animals and loves to cook and I know that one day she will succeed in life doing something she loves. She just needs a little extra support to get her there. At least I have the school psychiatric to back me up. He can motivate her like nobody's business. I really owe him a huge thank you and maybe a card for working so hard with my daughter this year. He is such an all around good guy. Him and his wife are unable to have children of their own so they adopted four young children. I think those kids are so darn lucky to have him as a dad. He truly is a blessing.

SuZir

CB, I don't want to offend you (yeah, starting a message like that never bodes well, but I really mean it, I just want to throw something out for you to think, even though I know you are not eager to think school thingies just now) but I think it would be beneficial to think your daughters long term goals right now. She has some significant learning disabilities I have gathered, she doesn't enjoy school and this year she has not progressed in the way you hoped partly because of the illness. Hopefully next year will be better, but there are no guarantees.

I think it is also safe to say that her professional goal is not to be professor of contemporary literature in Harvard. At least it is very unlikely. So maybe it is a time to start to think what really is important in her education right now. Where she is now and where she should be in three or four years so she could achieve her goals. I don't really know your school system so well and I don't know how much can be done. In our school system after ninth grade (end of our middle school) kids apply to different schools. About half go to solely/mainly three-year academic High Schools and other half to vocational schools though maybe 20 % of those in vocational schools take an extra year and complete also core classes of academic High School and take it's final exams. In vocational schools around 2/3 are vocational classes and 1/3 academics, both core subjects and some classes geared to teach things like accounting etc. so that if those future plumbers, electricians, chefs and hair stylists want to be self employed, they have some skills for that too. Then we have even more learning by doing-geared programs for those to whom even the vocational school is too theoretic.

I don't know what realistic options you have, but maybe it would be time to look at what your daughter wants to do when she grows up, what are her strengths and how she could make a good life based on those. And try to find both ways to hone those skills and also patch up the weaknesses that are on her way. Maybe for her the everyday functional reading skills are more important than analysing The Catcher in the Rye? Maybe something have to be let go to allow her enough time to learn what she really needs?

I'm sure also you have all kinds of alternative programs available. Maybe finding out about them in case your daughter's next school year is not better than this one is something your mother could put her excess energy into?

Last edited:

Californiablonde

Suzir you didn't offend me at all. I seriously had to re read what you wrote just to make sure there was nothing offending in your post. So I'm confused. Anyway, no offense taken. To answer your question, difficult child wants to be a pastry chef. Cooking is her passion. I know that most likely culinary school will be out of the question. Last semester she took a cooking class at her old school and failed it due to her reading/writing difficulties. She would need some major help to get through school to learn to become a chef. But they do offer community college courses where she can get extra support. She would probably need a tutor, that's for sure. She can cook great but it's the terminology that she has trouble with. I am confident she could find a job in a bakery or something similar and do really well. I just have to keep reminding her that she needs a high school diploma in order to be hired anywhere. She has been pretty dead set on being in the cooking industry for several years now and I don't think it is going to change any time soon. Regardless of what she chooses I am prepared to support her all the way through it whatever way I can. She hears nothing but negative from so many different sources so it is my mission to build up her self esteem. I believe in her but she just needs to learn to believe in herself.

BusynMember

Amber, I'm the mom of grown kids and I'd never presume to tell my kids (or one kid with a child) whether or not to send him to school. Your mom is intruding where she doesn't belong. She raised her kids and now it's your turn. I would not let her guilt you into doing what you know is best for your child. I wouldn't even read her texts all the time. Maybe you both need to detach from one another...your mom especially needs to step back or you need to help her do it by not being that responsive when she intrudes. Your daughter was very, very sick. She wasn't exactly ditching school. Maybe it's better not to share everything with your mom? With some moms you can, with others it's better if you don't.

A tract phone is a pre-pay phone, very cheap at Walmart. You can put it aside and look at the texts at your leisure. Mom could probably use some therapy to get her own life more interesting so that the focus isn't on you and difficult child even while she's supposed to be enjoying herself on vacation. Of course, you can't make her go.

Use your Mom Gut and try to listen to Mom with half an ear. Let us know how your child is :)

My oldest daughter Julie is a very good and well paid pastry chef and teacher. You weren't here at the time, but she was also a serious drug addict. We pulled her out of school and homeschooled her and she was mostly on her own to finish her cirriculum on time.

We did it to keep her from having extra contact with her drug buddies and also because half the time she'd walk out the door and not attend class. Homeschooling is th e only reason she graduated on time, although she is extremely intelligent. She was a late bloomer regarding school, but she did go back to college and attain her dream and she loves it. Not all kids are ready to move on at eighteen and that's all right. If she has to stay in high school for one additional year, it will not ruin her life.

Californiablonde

I am so glad I have the support of all of you here. My mom seriously makes me think I'm a terrible parent and I've been struggling with these feelings for years. Thank you to each and every one of you for validating me and backing me up. My mom told me last week that she thinks difficult child belongs in a group home. She seriously wanted me to research putting her in a different living environment with somebody else more "responsible." That really hurt me. I seriously think my mom has some anxiety issues of her own. She is controlling to a fault and gets super anxious if she is not kept in the loop with her grandchildren 24/7. I have told her in the past that if she thinks she can do better with my kids then she can raise them. And I was being serious. I would love to see how much better she could do with raising two difficult children. But she blames my stepdad's bipolar for her not being able to take in my kids. She says he would become unstable if he were to be around my kids. What a cop out. Anyway, what she said about difficult child belonging somewhere else really hurt but I am getting over it in my own way. I am currently in therapy and she is always a big part of our discussion. With his help I am learning how to detach slowly but surely. Anyway I just want to say thanks to all who responded and for backing me up. I feel validated.

TerryJ2

Umm ... why are you even reading your mom's text msgs? And responding to them? Your concerns about your daughter are perfectly legit.
Turn off your cell phone. :)
Did the dr prescribe antibiotics or what?
Always trust your gut. Don't worry about the rest. :)

Mattsmom277

If I had a dollar for the nasty things said about my difficult child, now 20 years old. Especially from his paternal family. Oh my, the jabs about his education (he loathed authority and hated school but would test as gifted, super intelligent and learns well when motivated). How he'd never amount to anything. Had me convinced nearly he'd be in jail before adulthood. On and on it went. I heard every attack on every parenting approach I ever tried, which was pretty much every one that people can imagine trying because I was not willing to give up so when one approach failed, I moved on to the next and so on. I heard how I was too strict. I was too lenient. I was to authoritative. I was too much is "friend". I couldn't possibly be all of those contradictory things. I lived in such pain from those comments for a long time and allowed them to undermine my confidence that I was doing the best job that I could possibly be. I even had a therapist tell me FINALLY it wasn't me, it was difficult child who refused to be parented and until that changed, he'd continue doing what he wanted how he wanted when he wanted. That therapist was so right.

I am disappointed that my difficult child dropped out of school just after his 18th birthday. He had never had a job, was never doing things helpful in the home. I was just grateful he showed respect for the years leading to his move out, that we could love and live as a family again. But school meant a lot to me. I wanted him to finish it more than anything and remain disappointed that he didn't.

However, this kid with no job experience and zero life skills, did several things. In the week prior to moving out, he got his social insurance number FINALLY, his drivers license that he didn't are about before. Opened his first ever bank account. Dealt with moving health insurance to a different province. He stepped up for himself because the condition of my support of him moving across the country and dropping out of school was that he make it happen for himself and do it right. Take those adult steps.

He began working in produce at a grocery store. Moved to assistant produce manager quickly and then produce manager. Acting store manager for many shifts (large store). He learned inventory, how to do the orders, shipping and receiving, he oversaw employees who worked under him. He learned the skills to be a darn good merchandiser. The list went on. He left that particular store to work for corporate for the chain (largest food company in the country). He traveled to new build locations, did merchandising and layout and trained new managers and staff before grand openings. Quite a ton of accomplishment for a kid in 2 short years.

He bought a house with his girlfriend. Put a new deck, a new roof, other house stuff. Broke up with her, moved to a new city into a high rise apartment and enjoyed his new position traveling all over.

Anybody telling you or your daughter that she is some write off because she struggles now? Ignore them, and in your mind, picture them with their heads up their butts. They don't know the future any more than we do. They also never understand the love and efforts of parents like all of us, who infuse our children with the confidence that may take them a while to find, but they will remember as they get older that we instilled in them.

Your daughter has every ability to thrive as an adult and make her dreams come true. If it takes longer, or a different path, or much support? It is no matter. She can achieve. I am sad that she has such negative nelly's around her apparently. I'm glad you can uplift her. They say for every bad message it takes numerous good ones to overcome the bad one.

susiestar

Roll With It
You can get a net10 prepaid phone for ten dollars and get 750 min per month for 25 bucks. Texts are billed as a minute or less, and even online things are billed as minutes.

You NEED to set some boundaries and tell your mom to butt out. When she cried and gave you a guilt trip it was another way to control you. Stop telling her things about the kids. Period. When she asks, tell her you are taking care of it.

FYI, don't you DARE give in to her guilt trip over taking your child to the doctor for tonsillitis/sore throat. Our country, in fact most of the first world nations (US, UK, etc...) are seeing a substantial increase in the cases of serious illnesses. One serious illness is called Lemierres and is caused by a bacteria that causes sore throats. If you don't get antibiotics, it can go into a severe infection IN YOUR BRAIN that needs BRAIN SURGERY and can have you sick for MONTHS AND MONTHS or else it KILLS YOU. MANY docs don't know what it is. It goes from a sore throat or tonsillitis to an abscess to the brain and it takes very little time. I saw a thing on youtube a year or two ago after a kid at our middle school almost died from it. School sent home a note saying that if your child has a sore throat they need to see the doctor and have a culture taken and be pain and fever free for 24 hrs before returning to school. They require a note that says that the child can return AND that a culture has been taken. Permission to return from a doctor is not enough, they MUST have a culture done also and document it. If parents cannot afford it and do not qualify for medcaid then the school nurse has a fund to pay for the cultures and doctor visits as the school feels it is so important.

tell your mother that she is home, it is taken care of, and your mother needs to take her nagging insults and apply them to her own life, that you are following the school and the doctor's orders and you will NOT EVER play games iwth her health. Tell her that difficult child has sixty to eighty more years of life and she can get her education over another year or two if needed, but only if she survives to live that long. You are doing what you must to ensure that she survives that long, and ignoring infections are one of the BEST ways to ensure that seh does not live long enough to get that education.

You can always turn the tables and ask how many kids difficult child needs to infect before it is okay to follow school policy and stay home? will your mom send a note to the parents of the eight or ten or fifteen or thirty other kids so that their parents know taht a contagious child is coming to school because their children are not as important as difficult child so it is okay if they get an infection? If your momis willing to do that, then sure, she can fly home and take difficult child to school against the doctor and school rules if she wants. If not, she can SHUT UP and mind her own business. I am serious about this. I had to do it with an aunt once and when I asked which eight parents she was ready to go inform that they would get sick but it was okay because that was not as important as allowing my child to be at school, well, she shut the heck up on that front. She did NOT want to face those parents. Of course I chose ones she knew that she did NOT want to deal with again (she had been the swim instructor for their kids and hated the moms because they hovered and nagged and were general PITA's - you know, the "Johnny is the best swimmer but you are the reason he cannot even put his face in the water and you are holding him back from the Olympics that he would be in by now (age four, of course) because you are just jealous that you are not the mom of such an amazing prodigy at everything" type of parent. I am evil enough to have chosen those parents as the ones she should contact, lol.

Plus, there are a LOT of was for a child to get an education. Regular school is NOT the only way, nor is it the best way for all kids. For some it is totaly ineffective and for others? A boring nuisance that creates more problems than it solves. Education s one of the most important things in life, but it is NOT something that everyone needs to do at the same time. A bad year now does NOT mean that difficult child is not going to learn. It means she may need an extra year or two to learn what others are learning now. But going to school and infecting everyone else? Stupid and wrong.

Mostly this issue is NOT about your difficult child at all. It is about controlling YOU. when you have the confidence to stand up and say , "I am the parent and I will deal iwth this as I see fit. You areNOT the parent, and your input is not helping so you need to leave this alone if you want to be in my life." Then she can leave it alone or choose to be removed from your life. But YOU must be strong enough to follow through with her as well as with difficult child. NONE of this is about difficult child or difficult child's education. It is about you and your mom controlling you.

Californiablonde

Terry, I would love to be able to ignore my mom's texts but I can't. If I don't answer a text fast enough she freaks out and assumes we're all dead or something. She will show up unannounced to my work or my house. If my house isn't clean when she shows up, I get to hear about how her poor grandchildren are living in a filthy environment and it's obvious I'm not on the right medications because I'm so unstable due to a messy house. I would rather answer her annoying texts and be done with it. The prepaid phone is a good idea. I must think of a good reason to tell my mom why my number has changed but I'm sure I'll come up with something. Mattsmom, it's always great to hear a difficult child success story. You must be so proud. Susie you are absolutely right. I am letting her control my life but I am slowly learning how to detach. My mom still thinks difficult child is well enough to go to school but I know her illness is legit. I am starting to get sick. I had a headache last night and this morning I am sneezing and coughing. So her doctor was right in making her stay home. Luckily for me it's Friday and I can get some rest this weekend. easy child is coming tonight for his weekend visit and I just hope I don't pass it off to him. School is already out for him but I still don't want him sick. So hopefully I get over what I have quickly and I can enjoy my much needed break from work this weekend.

InsaneCdn

Too bad you can't do "auto-texting" the way you can do "auto-email"... If you could... you would then be able to set up an auto-response to your mom's texts, something like "Thanks Mom. TTYL". That way she knows you're alive - or thinks you are... :D

If only life were that simple!

Californiablonde

That would be such an awesome invention, Insane! With today's technology I'm surprised it's not already an option. But maybe some day. Oh and when I told my mom I'm sick she backed off from difficult child so she is finally leaving me alone about it!

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
She shows up at your work if you don't respond to her texts?! WTF? Oh no no no. And not only do you need to say no to this, your supervisor needs to show her the door at that point, too. Because it does NOT qualify as family emergency, so sorry.

BusynMember

I'm just curious. Is your mom retired? Is she bored with not much going on so that she has time to worry about everything going on in your family?

Just guessing. I am no longer working, but threw myself into a ton of really fun activities and she can do that too. Focusing on you and your family is not healthy for her or for her. I hope she gets therapy to put the focus back on HER life and not yours.

Californiablonde

Midwestmom Yes she is a retired high school guidance counselor. She retired a couple of years early claiming she got burnt out with the school system. But she won't leave my kids and their education alone! She comes to IEP's and throws around her title like she's a goddess. She emails the teachers obssesively and at all three schools my kids have attended I have gotten complaints over her meddling. At difficult child's current school I had the assistant principal in charge of special education come and talk to me about her teachers being upset with my mom. My mom doesn't hold parental rights and the teachers are complaining she emails them too much. So the assistant principal asks me to tell my mom to cool it. As usual, my mom got highly offended when I told her. She tells me she is a concerned grandmother and the teachers are heartless for not understanding that. We have had this problem at every single school my kids have ever attended. They all complain and put the burden on me. My mom actually went above my head and spoke to the school psychiatric here and complained to him that the teachers aren't being cooperative. It's not his job to handle teacher's complaints but this man is a saint so he told my mom he would see what he could do. Poor guy. It's apparent that I am going to have to tell everybody at this school that they do not have permission to speak to my mom about my daughter's education. My mom is going to be very unhappy with me, but this time her meddling is affecting my job and I have to put a stop to it somehow.

Mattsmom277

Perhaps she may be "slightly" less offended by you stating it is affecting your JOB. Explain firmly that this is not about how you feel about her involvement with your daughters education. You are thankful that she cares. HOWEVER, you are employed at this school and this position is what puts food on the table, roof over your head, medical benefits etc. Tell her that its not okay EVER from here on out to contact anybody at the school, nor can she call you at work or show up there, it is your EMPLOYER. Also tell her that you will not be texting during work hours as you want to mollify your employer and ensure they have no excuse to let you go. Put it all on the fact that this is your work, not at all about her "meddling". She won't like it either way you dish out the clear line in the sand. It will probably sit better (better being relative) to use the employer story.

She is obviously so far over stepping that I'd claw my eyes out if I was in your shoes. She likely means very well, but having worked in education herself she should darn well understand that this type of thing from a non custodial relative is more than just an annoyance to employees at the school. She should also understand professionalism in the work place, no personal calls or texts or visits unless serious emergency. I'd go the lack of professionalism in the work place route and fear for your position. I would make it clear, it's not negotiable.