Those in snowstorm/no electricity, check in PLEASE!!!

BonnieJean

Okay, been watching the news for a few days, for those stuck in that horrible snowstorm down in the US....Will you PLEASE check in? I know there are members here who are from there!!!!

Sending prayers!
BonnieJean

Marguerite

Dreamer - my thoughts exactly. Although some one must have a laptop with mobile phone hook-up.

In very rough weather we lose a lot - we forget how much we rely on technology. In the '94 fires we couldn't use our mobile phones much because some towers were downed and the traffic was overloading the system. In rough seas our land phone lines are often out, as well as our electricity. Back in '94 we HAD to rely on the mobile phone because it was all we had; family (and doctors) were trying to track us down, we'd had to leave the house with just a small plastic bag containing toothbrushes and spare underwear. But at least we were safe once we were out of the path of the fire - we weren't going to die of exposure. The thing that scares me with these storms is that being without power and gas will also mean being without heating. And I can't conceive of trying to stay warm in such temperatures and conditions.

My sister experienced blizzards and ice storms in Canada in the early Sixties. I saw her photos - absolutely incredible. Now she's been back in Australia ever since and always lives in the warmest places.

Marg

donna723

We're fine here but my cousin in the St. Louis area sent me pictures of her back yard and it looks like a disaster area! She has (had!) a large covered patio going across the back of her house - really pretty. But the weight of the ice build up in the gutters snapped the whole overhang of the roof off across the back of the house, taking the patio cover with it! Somewhere under there is her nice gas grill and pretty patio furniture! They can't even get out their back door. And her whole yard is full of huge tree limbs from her big old trees that were so pretty last summer. Some of them fell across the chain link fence, pushing it to the ground in places, so she can't even let her dogs out in the yard.

I've only been through one major ice storm here, 13 or 14 years ago, and it was horrible! It was weeks before they had everybody's electricity back on, and people waited months to get repairs done on their houses because the contractors were so busy! Sure hope everyone makes it through this one OK!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmmmmm. Maybe I should try to call my Mom today........

In answer as to how someone in the area without electricity can check in..... There are usually some spots in those areas that still have power. I know when the ice storm hit here and lasted 2 weeks and knocked out power to 90% of the area you could drive down the street and see a few with no power, then like a block who had it, and so on.

Unfortunately we were ones without. Two blocks away my mother in law had power.

Hope everyone is safe and warm.

Hugs

dreamer

am thinking if you do not have power- you will not be able to acccess this site to see the post to know to reply. Unless of course you do have wireless and cell phone connection. BUT am also thinking if you do not have power- you might also be tending to some other weather related things? and maybe the roads are too bad to go elsewhere to come and post?

I know I am lucky cuz while we had snow and ice, our area here is well equipped to handle it and used to it. During the storm Nov 30-Dec 1 we got snowed in - cuz I think it hit before we were quite ready for it, but this time our plows and salt trucks were out on the streets trolling before it hit. For us it is business as usual...except that since the week before was so unusually warm, our tulips and daffodils and crocus were blooming great!

Gosh all you southerners- I feel sorry for you guys. Do you even HAVE salt trucks or snowplows etc to do anything with this weather?
Well if you CAN get on, let us know you are OK-if you can call people you know - call them. Check on them.
My long distance 18 wheel trucker friend has been going back and forth KY, VA, WV, Tenn, and as of last nite he said things were not too bad.

dreamer

OK so in light of just this type of thing-----
well, my cell is pretty dependable, except one spot between here and next town where there is no service.
Our elec wires are pretty solid.....our phone lines have been great------our cable TV is OK....but I know everyone with satelite TV around here is frustrated as heck.
My WebTV is wired in to my TV and my house phone lines and in the 10 years I have had it, I do not recall ever having any access problems related to weather. (Thank goodness I also never ever ever have problems with viruses etc)

BUT----

Last week, I realized our house phone that does not have caller ID or anything connected etc, no bells and whistles- it died long ago and we never replaced it.....BUT then I started thinking.....all the new phones use not just a phone line but also electric. So- I grabbed a very "old fashioned" house phone, NOT cordless, NO caller ID- no anything------it does NOT need electricity-----so if the elec goes out but the phone lines don't- we will still have a house phone available.- and if the cells don't work, that would be good to have.
And for Christmas I got my son a new battery powered weather radio, flashlite, news radio combo thing. and even tho they have cell phones, we also got the kids and us a walkie talkie set-and the kids all gave one of their walkie talkies to a close friend-in case cells are down?.....and me and husband met on CB radio- so we have always had a CB radio in each car and the house and a hand held.

Hey has anyone gotten one of those new flashlites that you crank for the power to run it?

ANyway- I mostly wanted to point out- check your phones- and consider getting one old fashion one if you no longer have one- just in case. It might come in handy.

BonnieJean

Okay, I meant if everything was okay could they check in to let us know. I know that if they have no electricity they can't. ~shrugs~ Gosh this makes me sound stupid! It's just to be honest, I am really worried, the news has been showing how some lives have been lost recently and it scares the bloody HE$$ outta me. That's all!

A few years ago Quebec had a MAJOR storm where some people had no electricity for over 30 days. Other provinces helped out big time. The ice storm was felt here in NB as well. People helped people to make sure all emergency measures were in place. But I think some places faired any tiny bit better than others. But, I don't think or can't remember if many lives were lost like from this storm. It scares me!

Sorry didn't mean to sound stupid!
BonnieJean

dreamer

you sounded caring....I just did not want you to worry more when people did not check in.....

I know lots of times when electric goes out here, and it is dark- husband or one of the kids will say- well turn on the TV so we can at least watch TV in the dark.
Or pop some popcorn while we sit in the dark......LOL.

susiestar

Roll With It
BonnieJean,

Thanks for caring!! I am in OK, and we have had a HUGE amount of ice, like and inch, then 2-3 inches of snow, then an inch of ice ON TOP!! Until today our CAR did not make any tracks in the snow!

We have heat and power, internet has been spotty. Almost a week of no school for the kids. They have school tomorrow, but that is all this week.

husband has been driving to a city 70 miles away daily for work (he always does). He has had no trouble, but he did have Monday off.

You are such a sweetie to care about us!! I feel LOVED! And thanks, because I really need that right now.

Susie

BonnieJean

susie, I am SO glad you are okay!!!! SENDING HUGE HUGS!!!

Looking at the news brings back bad memories of Quebec's ice storm. For us, it was our storm of the decades(1990s) and it was not good. I sure hope those close to you are ok as well.

We usually have ice and snow here, but that's normal. But then there is the occasional overload where enough is enough. Like this weekend is not going to be good for travelers or just to get where you're going. I need groceries and I can't get where I'm going, so unfortunately, keeping my fingers crossed, power will stay on and I can at least get to the expensive convenience store to help make it through the day. If I had had the money yesterday I would have bought some then, but oh well, life wouldn't be that easy!

Anyways, susie, SO very glad you're okay!

Hugs!
BonnieJean

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie

Glad to hear you're okay. ((hugs))

We have an old fashioned land phone. The ice storm we had reminded me that those those don't need electric. We bought mother in law one too. easy child went out and got one. They may be cheap now, but they're priceless! And husband has 2 of those crank flashlights. And a radio that works by crank. I learned my lesson. lmao :grin:

We also have a kerosine heater and stove now too. Not to mention oil lamps and battery lanterns. I thanked God I had a gas stove. It wasn't just my own family that was kept warm with it. (the reason I won't buy electric stoves) Once husband and I have the money, we'll be getting the gas fireplace fixed. I could kill the guy who remodled this house for sealing off the chimney to it. grrrrrr.

dreamer

so, the crank flashlites are good? I keep looking at them..alas, LOL my kids ALL have major fascination with flashlites, and while we must have 20 battery powered ones around here, and I try hard to always have lots of extra batteries- truth is usually the flashlites are all dead and the batteries all missing.

I do keep kitty litter in back of my car and 1 large blanket and 2 small ones, and extra mittens and bottled water and cheese-cracker things and some of those small tuna salad kit thingies....always best to be ready.

Sara PA

I had seen the small crank flashlights (less than $20, handheld) and considered getting one/some. But then I read the reviews and, for the most part, they weren't good. Maybe the reviewers had high expectations, but I listened to them. I do have a larger one, more lantern size, and I do like that a lot. I also have a crank radio. I like them much better than the battery type. Cranking gives you something to do when there is nothing else and you don't have to worry about having enough batteries on hand all the time.

Gotta have a non portable phone which doesn't need electricy tucked away somewhere for emergencies. You can't recharge a cell phone without electricity unless you can drive around with a car charger going. I also have one of those little battery operated TV's around but that requires that I also have a bunch of D batteries around too.

Cable goes out pretty easily around here, at least compared to the phones, and with it goes a lot of internet connections.

I heard on the news that as the ice falls off the tree branches they are expecting more outages because some branches will snap upwards and break more lines.

dreamer

UG! not looking forward to electric possibly going out. we are lucky, in 20 years I think ours has gone out twice.
YAY.

We do have a very small battery TV, handheld- takes AA or AAA batteries, but there is no receptionhere without cable. :-(

LOL- I have until recently, exclusively charged my cell in car....a friend just sent me an in house charger. I had complained at RMH my cell kept dying....so a friend sent me a charger, and it did not work at RMH, but..when I got it hme, it worked! LOL. YAY!

But yes, I now do have my non elec requireing landline again. :)

Maybe if I stay prepared, then the elec will stay on? LOL

corky

Susie, I'm so glad to hear you're all ok. I tried calling you but only got a ringing phone. The girls & I have been worried about you & other board members in the area.

Bonnie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
dreamer

husband has the expensive crank flashlights. They can also work on battery. We've not had any trouble with them. And it does give husband something to do during a crisis. lmao Which for me is invaluable. :smirk:

Oh, another good idea, those big jar candles are great. They give off quite a bit of light and don't burn down too fast. I've got some and when I run out to get my groceries this week, I'll be stocking up.

We've also got those weather proof thermal type sleeping bags from when we used to camp with the kids. We used them during the ice storm. HEAVEN! Ever tried crawling into a COLD bed? Even with a ton of blankets it takes forever to get warm. Brrrrrr!

easy child and her husband, and husband all have emergency backpacks I bought them 2 yrs ago for xmas. They're filled with those health bars, water, first aide kit, flashlight, hat, gloves, ect. (hat and gloves is because none of them ever think to wear them) Then they also have a heavy blanket and kitty litter they keep in the trunk. All 3 of them have to be on the road at least 2 hrs a day for work. I don't take chances. lol

:smile: *

tiredmommy

[ QUOTE ]
husband has the expensive crank flashlights. They can also work on battery. We've not had any trouble with them. And it does give husband something to do during a crisis.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a great gift idea for my husband! :rofl:

dreamer

several years ago when I was working in restaurants and very very poor....my mom insisted all of us each buy gifts for each other-----and well, I could not afford it......well, where I worked we got cottage cheese in these big containers with lids, kinda like you get at grocery for home but bigger. I got this idea- I hot glued yarn on the lid, LOL LOL......and used a sharpie and drew a face......on the side of the container....
Inside I put a flashlite and batteries, matches, a couple Bic lighters, some candles, some energy bars. a deck of cards.......
I named my creation with some cutesy name (I forget what right now) and made a little card tag thing to hang on the back of it....something about how the critter was their new family member to sit on a kitchen counter or linen closet shelf to be ready for them when there was a power outtage. - at which time he would become their BEST friend.
LOL, I was so self impressed, thinking his shape and size would be easy to find in the dark......and cute enough to not have to be hidden.....so handy?
I made one for mom and each sibling. Alas, my family was NOT impressed at all. :-(
They dismantled the critters as part of post Christmas cleanup and shoved their flashlites in a drawer. - threw the rest away. :-(
That was MANY years ago.......almost 20 years ago......
Mine however still sits on my kitchen counter. :)