Those on the East Coat.. advice please!!

Woofens

East Coast sheesh... shouldn't type at 2 AM I guess :(

SO and I were planning (hoping) to take the kids to Disney World for Christmas break. It just isn't feasible this year, with property taxes due on all 3 houses :( Now, my SO is NOT one to make any sort of "concrete" plans, we just play it by ear, and it works for us. Knock on wood.

Here is my question.... we want to leave home Dec 23rd, and be home Dec 26. We will be driving. We want to go someplace warm, preferably someplace that has something we can do with the kiddo's on Christmas day (amusement park, etc). Even a warm beach would be great at this point. We don't object to 12+ hours drives. We are about an hour SE of Pittsburgh PA. Does anyone have any ideas on places/areas to consider? Any help would be appreciated. I have never before planned a mini-vacation at Christmas before so I am at a total loss.

Thanks in advance!

Hugs,
Jan

Last edited:

Marguerite

Jan, I'm sorry, but I don't think I have a hope of helping. At least not in specific suggestions as to where to go. However, a couple of points -

1) Drive safely. You won't be the only ones on the road, and other people have a higher chance of having been drinking as well.

2) Don't wear yourselves out too much. I'm not sure how far you would have to drive, just to get somewhere warm. However far you drive, you will have to bend it double and come back, so that will limit you.

Is the coastline likely to be armer? It is for us; the coast for us is always more stable in temperature because the sea doesn't allow for too wide a variation in air temperature. However, depending on water temperatures and offshore currents, the picture may be different for you. Might be worth checking out, because if the currents are stable and north-flowing, then heading south hugging the coast may be the way to go.

I hope someone has some more accurate answers for you.

Marg

meowbunny

Seems like you'd have to drive pretty far south to find anything warm. Even Atlanta is known to be chilly this time of year. Most of the northern amusement parks would be closed for the winter, wouldn't they? I know they are in the Northwest. Maybe consider New Orleans (Christmas there is wonderful), the Florida Panhandle, check and see if Gatlinburg, TN has anything open for Xmas. How about Missouri (Branton or whatever the name of the town is where they have so much going on)? Las Vegas has a lot for families nowadays.

Worse comes to worse, stay home and have a beach party in the house.

Ok I don't post much but read every day.

What about an indoor water resort?

There is a Volcano Island in WV that just opened up summer of 2008.

Looks nice! I only know because I have been looking for a tropical type getaway close by for sometime later this winter.

There are indoor waterparks in every state. I did a google search.

Hope this helps.

Denise

Woofens

Marg and MB,

Thanks for the responses.

Marg, we do alot of traveling around the holidays, but thanks for the reminders! The holidays are usually the only time SO can close the station so that we can get away. 2 times in the past year, he has called me and given me less than 3 hours notice we are leaving for someplace (once Isle of Palms SC and once Williamsburg VA). Both times, we had no idea where we were going, just got in the car and decided on the way. The SC trip was Memorial Day weekend, and we had problems getting a room, but we got lucky. That was the kids first trip to the ocean. Had to go to Target once we got there to buy bathing suits, towels, the whole shebang. The trip to VA was the same way. All he told me was to pack for someplace warm. At least I have some notice this time LOL

Meowbunny,

Branson would be great, if it wasn't December LOL I hope to go there next summer. I'll mention NO to him. Even if we have to go clear to FL, it will be worth it to us, to get away from the cold. Las Vegas is way to far for the time we have, but it would be nice :) I hadn't even considered Gatlinburg. I'll take a look online after I get some sleep.

Thanks again, both of you :)

Jan

Woofens

OMG Denise!! I hadn't even thought of that!!!! Even with me pregnant, that would be something we could all enjoy! I'm gonna go googling :)

Thanks so much!!

Jan

Fran

Former desparate mom
I was thinking the same thing as bigmomof3.
Indoor water parks or 7springs in Somerset Pa.if it has an indoor pool. They may have tubing if it is snowy outside.
I like BMof3's idea though. Sounds like a blast.

meowbunny

Didn't even know they had indoor water parks. Definitely have to go look for one and add it to the list of to dos.

Hope you find something fun to do.

KateM

Another vote for an indoor waterpark resort. We just went to Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos (PA) and had a blast! There's something for all ages, including this kid-at-heart! They have a location in Ohio,as well as several other states.Have fun!

klmno

They have one of those right outside of Williamsburg, VA- near Busch Gardens. difficult child has gone- that would be worthwhile if you could stand the drive that far. I wasn't aware that they also had one in PA-

donna723

If you're looking for someplace warm, you need to re-think Gatlinburg. This may be the 'south' but it can get very cold in Tennessee and the temps have been around freezing or below every night and many places had ice on the roads a few days ago.

Critter Lover

Speaking from someone near Orlando.....You do not want to be near Disney at that time....sure it is fun but LOADED TO THE GILLS with bumper to bumper people around that time. You would spend numerous hours in lines instead of getting on the rides. The only other theme park we have in Central Florida is Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure
and I do not know how much they crowd. If I were you I would vote on
the indoor waterpark that is nearest to you....probably be less crowded than the theme parks in this area.

Suggestions for all of you wanting to do theme parks here....try to pick a less seasonal time that will be less crowded so you can get more fun for your money.(meaning you get to ride more rides instead of standing in those never ending lines.)

T

TiredAlltheTime

If you don't mind the long drive, Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Georgia is really cheesy and a lot of fun. We have been there several times. It has rides for little kids and those who like the serious roller coaster.

DammitJanet

We are gonna be passing on the highway if you go south of Difficult Child....lol. Only difference is I am praying for snow in upper VA because it has been so warm down here in NC. We are going up to see my dad and Jamie et al.

Lothlorien

There is an indoor water/amusement park right in the poconos. I can't think of the name of it, but you might be able to find it if you google it.

Janet, I'm glad you are well enough to travel and see your family. That is wonderful news!

Woofens

Thanks all!

Janet, I too am glad to hear that you are well enough to travel.

I really like the water park idea, but we still want to go someplace warm ... or at least warmer than here. SO is out in the cold 13 hours a day, 6 days a week, at least. When we get away in the winter, it HAS to be someplace at least a bit warmer for his sake. I'm gonna look into water parks in FL and GA.

Thanks again!
Hugs
Jan

Woofens

Well,, Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Georgia is out. They are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I was afraid of running into this :(

Marguerite

The distance would worry me, too. And I'm used to long drives - living in Australia, we regularly drive a long way for our holiday.

What about flying and then hiring a car at your destination? It's a thought...

Woofens

We drove 10+ hours to SC last spring to stay 24 hours. So driving to FL to stay 36 or so wouldn't be that bad. Flying is too expensive, with no notice to buy tickets. And the kids have never flown, so I'm not sure how well that would go over. At least in the car, if difficult child rages, we don't have to worry about other people so much.

I'm still looking. A friend of mine told me last night that there was something on the today show the other day about the covers on the intake valves of pools and water parks, and that there is a law about it going into effect this weekend. I gotta Google that too, she said there will be parks that have to close due to not having the correct covers?? I don't know.

This is easier when we just take off and go, and play it by ear LOL

Hugs,
Jan