Those Who Were Taking Chantix

On_Call

I hope I have the spelling of the medication right. Chantix is the stop-smoking pill, right?

I know some posted they were taking this - I am wondering how you are doing - and how it worked for you.

husband quit smoking this spring with the medication, but he has quit in the past cold turkey - he has very obstinate willpower - which I was not blessed with.

I have tried to quit in the past - even cut way, way back during both pregnancies, but was never able to really quit, which I am determined to do now. I have an appointment with my regular doctor this morning and I am going to ask for a script. We are going on vacation starting Saturday and when we get back, I'm going to fill the script and start quitting!

Let me know how this medication workd for all of you. Thanks!

K

Kjs

I have not tried it myself. Maybe someday. My neighbor, a 1.5 pack a day smoker, his wife smokes as much. He got the medication. quit about two months ago. Wife still smokes. I never thought he would of quit. He says the medication.'s helped a lot.

Had another neighbor. Husband and wife who had the laser treatment done. Husband quit. Wife did for a short time, went back to smoking. It has been almost two years that Husband has quit.

DammitJanet

I have a friend who was married to a doctor and her husband recently was talking to me and I asked him if he could get me samples of chantix because I want to quit smoking. I dont think Medicare Part D covers this prescription. He is going to send me two months worth of samples so I can quit because I am a two pack a dayer.

Hopefully this will do it for me.

scent of cedar

What laser treatment?

husband is going to try Chantix. When he does, I am going to try patches again.

Anyone know about weight gain with Chantix?

Barbara

I never tried chantix, but I thought I'd chime in on the quitting smoking.

I tried the patch once some years ago, but it gave me nightmares.

Just before I got sick, I bought lozenges. I had exactly one. and it tasted like a mouthful of metal. I did not like it at all. When I got sick and was hospitalized, I stopped smoking because I had no choice. It is nothing short of a miracle that I am still not smoking, going on 3 months, and this was cold turkey.

However, I have put on some weight. Oh yeah, I have put on some weight. Ugh.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I certainly hope they don't discover some major "downside" to this medication later down the road. Cuz for me it has been the only answer.

No weight gain. Actually have lost due to the fact that my normal "munchies" have disappeared. (15lbs) I haven't craved anything. You know that wanting to nibble you usually get when trying to quit?? With this medication it doesn't exist, at least not for me and alot of others.

Wonder drug as far as I'm concerned. I even sleep like a baby, am calm and relaxed most of the time. :smile:

DammitJanet

The more I hear the more I cant wait for my care package to arrive!

I want to stop and not having the munchies too would be a plus.

On_Call

Ah great! All good reports! Got my starter pack today - will start it tomorrow - we're leaving in the morning for vacation - I almost decided to start the medication when we returned, but I figure there's no time like NOW!

I am crossing my fingers that this helps me, too. I absolutely cannot stop on my own - I've tried. And, I so want to be a non-smoker.

Thanks everyone - and cross your fingers for me - I really want this to work!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jamie

You aren't to actually stop smoking til the end of the first week. But you should notice after a few days that the amt of cigarettes you smoke will start decreasing without you thinking about it. (because you just don't want it)

Now for some, me included, it can take almost an extra week before you're ready to not smoke at all. This is no big deal. I freaked when I wasn't ready at the end of the first week like it said. But husband went on the website forums and it turns out alot of people didn't actually go smoke free til they'd had 2 wks of the medication, although they'd cut down to less than half a pack.

Lots of luck to both you and Janet!

Hugs

K

Kjs

The laser treatment is done in many places. I inquired about it at one place. They laser certain spots on your hands, behind your ear and a couple other places. Was going to try that but they said you have to really want too, i don't. i enjoy it. So, for the time being I will be curious to see how all of you do. keep it posted.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
But after you stop taking it, does the urge/craving come back??

I have the complete package sitting her unopened, originally for difficult child, but she refuses to quit at this point (I will not waste this incredible expensive drug if she's not going to follow through). In the interim, I've become quite the smoker...well, for me more than 3-5 a day is a lot. I'd say I average about 5 a day. Not sure if I should bother taking it or white knuckle it and just quit cold turkey.

I'm just wondering if the cravings come back after the final pill has been long taken. Anyone?? Thanks.