Thought I would share

4sumrzn

The amazing difference between regular summer camp & special needs camp for difficult child.

I'm blown away. This is week 3 with last week being vacation......she was EXCITED to go Monday morning :surprise:. She's even been giving me a kiss & saying "bye Mom". Uhhhh.......tears from me walking down the hall every time. It only took the first few days of camp for her to stop crying when I left & crying when I picked her up (like she hadn't seen me in days).

She even has pointed out her "friends" to me. The camp is limited to 30 children....all with different disabilites. I really believe she feels like she "fits in".

Just wanted to share.....not very often I get a Happy Mommy Heart going on feeling that difficult child is happy too! (now I just need to knock on wood & pray I didn't just jinx myself~I know how that goes)

Thanks for listening.

slsh

member since 1999
OK, we'll all just cross fingers and eyes and ward off board jinx - that should work! ;)

What a fabulous post to read, really. I'm just so tickled she's having a positive experience - they can be so few and far between. Sounds like you found an excellent opportunity for her. Great job, Mom!

Yeah, difficult child! Hope she continues to have a blast!

klmno

What a successful summer!! I'm so glad that you found this for her- she'll remember it forever probably! It is soooo nice when they feel like they fit in and they are happy- we might never know how much good that does them!

Andy

Oh how awesome!!! My kids never liked day camps and would never even consider overnight camps - they just never were right for them. It is so uplifting when our difficult children find something they really do enjoy.

B

bran155

Great news!!! I am so happy for you and her. It's really nice she is making friends and feeling like she fits in. That is a major step for our children. You must feel such a sense of relief dropping her off knowing she is happy. That is wonderful. :)

It is SO nice to read a post like this. There have been so many struggling difficult children this summer! I am absolutely thrilled for you and your daughter.

*smiles*