Thought our week was good but teacher called

Karen & Crew

I had a big meeting with this teacher and the principal last Thursday morning over the lack of communication I seem to be having.

We visited difficult child's p-doctor last Thursday (8th) evening and she thinks that the diagnosis of ADHD may not be the real problem. She suspects the Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) are the bigger problems and the morning Ritalin is further agitating him rather than calming him down. She took him off the am Ritalin and is in the process of writing the referral to send him to a psychologist who specializes in pediatric anxiety disorders. The referral hasn't come through yet, though so...

Teacher called this morning. He's been out of control all week. He's finished none of his assignments. He's lashing out at other students/teachers for no reason. She said y'day another teacher reported that instead of doing classwork he poured a full bottle of glue over his desk. He's leaving class without permission and disappearing for 10-15 minutes at a time. He's also refusing to eat lunch at school. Wouldn't be a big deal but he's barely eating at home.

Wednesday was a particularly bad day at home. I drove him to school and he was just awful. He started throwing things at me while I was driving, refused to stay buckled...

P-doctor won't be back in until Monday and in the interim I have the weekend to get through. I'm just at my wit's end with him. The other two easy child have a birthday party to attend so my parents have offered to keep difficult child tomorrow. He generally does pretty well with them alone.

I hate wishing my weekend away but I'm so anxious for Monday to get here so I can talk to his doctor again.

TerryJ2

Oh, Karen, so sorry! I think changing medications at this point is a very good idea. Let us know what happens... and how soon it takes affect when he's off of the a.m. medications.

smallworld

Besides therapy, is the psychiatrist considering medications for the Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? Your difficult child's symptoms sound severe enough to warrant them. I have a daughter (easy child) who has anxiety, and believe me, it became so debilitating that she needed medications in conjunction with weekly psychotherapy. She was completely "stuck" without medications. She is now doing great.

Karen & Crew

He's taking 12.5 mg of Zoloft right now (along with 36 mg of Concerta). We've tried going up on the Zoloft and he became even worse.

smallworld

Now I remember. Not only could the stimulants be agitating him, but the Zoloft could be, too. I think we told you before that if he's worse on antidepressants and stimulants, you might need to have the psychiatrist consider a diagnosis of a mood disorder that should be treated with mood stabilizers. Anxiety can lie at the heart of mood disorders.

FWIW, my son's first diagnosis was ADHD and anxiety. He had a prolonged intense manic reaction to Zoloft (25 mg). He is now on mood stabilizers with low doses of an antidepressant and stimulant. He's doing much better now.

Unfortunately, therapy can help, but not until the child is stable and can access it. I don't mean to be discouraging, but you might find that to be true in your difficult child's case.

Karen & Crew

Thanks. I'm calling the psychiatrist first thing on Monday to get her input.

He's out of control again this morning. He's already hit his sister a couple of times and threatened me and his Daddy before quickly realizing that we could and would restrain him. He's had no medication today because he refuses to take it unless we let him have a can of soda.

I am so grateful that my parents are taking him today. Maybe a day alone with my parents undivided attention will help.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Karen,
I'm sorry difficult child is struggling so. Not taking medications is something that is a basket A item at our house (if you haven't read The Explosive Child by Ross Greene that means we are willing to suffer a meltdown over it-not much for my son right now is in basked A). His world literraly stops until he takes his medications-no tv, no going anywhere, nothing, privileges are lost if need be. My difficult child has no control when not on his medications so we have to insist he take it.

I hope he is doing better now and that he had fun at your parents. Many psychiatrist offices have a psychiatrist on call. If it gets too bad maybe try calling in. Hugs to you.