Thoughts on this article?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hear ya insanecdn.

I was diagnosed severe ADHD before kindergarden.....back before the diagnosis was popular, or even well known. Yet somehow I managed for the most part to function just fine in classroom setting of my day. There were a few issues, but none severe enough to really affect my grades or learning. I get overwhelmed with large projects.....which became an issue in about the 5th grade when we started doing reports and such. Long division and fractions......well I'm still not sure if that was just me or the fact I was out for a month with strep throat when they were teaching it. (still can't do long division and I avoid fractions) And I was very difficult child about homework, which meant I refused to do it. Period.

Yet our classrooms were very structured, actually quite similar to yours. I actually craved that structure. I had some issues in jr high due to classes switching ect.....but after a few months adjusted.

But also.........we had Special Education classes for kids with severe enough issues, and I recall those teachers being highly trained to deal with those issues. We also had special classes for deaf students. I don't recall any of us actually thinking it was a BAD thing to be in those classes. Oh some of the kids made fun of the speech of the deaf kids........but creative teachers got together and put a stop to that by making us switch classes with them for a week.......we could only talk in sign......they had to attempt a mainstream class with only speech. The results were so good it became a regular yearly event. The thing that got me about then........as mainstreaming was just coming into effect.......was that the kids they were beginning to force into the mainstreaming program wanted no part of it, or the vast majority of them didn't. It made learning even harder on them for various reasons. Mainstreaming can be good, but it depends on the individual involved.

Curriculum was also much better structured. Now........phht I look at Darrin's 1st grade homework and I have no clue half the time of what it is they're doing because they have it all mixed in together.......and then they also keep changing HOW the child is supposed to do it, and heaven forbid they be taught the old way because most teachers will come unglued and the child get an F. (ran into that one with my own kids) Not to mention it seems like every few years they have some new "experimental theory" to try out on the kids. ugh

I can tell you right now, in the new school set up.........I'd be flunking and most likely a discipline problem out of frustration and too much stimulation if nothing else. I amazed that a easy child can learn in that environment....let alone a difficult child.

I don't envy teachers today. I respect them, and I admire them, cuz I know I sure couldn't do their jobs.

april1974

I do think the curriculum is too demanding these days, the homework some kids have is through the roof and I do worry about that with my boys. The downside to "back then" was the "rubber room" kids and any kid with a special need was seperated from the others, but in our school system special needs are integrated into the normal class room and I think for the most part if you have good EA's this is a win win situation, it let's the "normal" kids realize divirsity and the Special Education kids can see success and they can learn from one another usually

from grades 2-6 I went to a typical country school where we had grades 1,2,3 in one room & 4,5,6 in another room so while I was working on my math the teacher might be teaching math to another level the benefit to this was my grade only had 6 of us in it(all girls too) and seeing other levels lower & higher was somewhat beneficial.