Throwing up morning medications? any ideas?

this is bizarre, i know, but i'm hoping someone has some idea for us.

difficult child 2 throws up morning medications more often than i care to deal with. she takes focalin, fish oil, vitamin D and sometimes a multivitamin gummi. she has been taking pills forever and doesnt have the problem at night.

it doesnt seem to matter if she eats or not and it doesnt seem to be that she's gagging on them--they seem to make it all the way down and come right back up.

i also cant seem to narrow it to which one--it seems to be any--i took her off the major dose of b-12 she's rx'd to get because i thought it was that, but its still happening.

the other part of the problem is that she has a VERY small window of time before school--she literally cant get up any earlier. i havent tried to semi-wake her to take medications, i figure that would be even worse. she really needs the focalin for school...i COULD try to move the vitamins to evening, but i'm concerned they would activate her. unfortunately, she has true deficiencies so she really cant just stop taking them. the only other thing i'm thinking is to get her to take them as she's walking out the door, but again, pretty much *not* the moment in time to be puking.

obviously, *no one* should be regularly vomitting.

anyone have any thoughts?

oh, and another unrelated question...i'm well aware of rebound with focalin, but i was wondering if anyone saw an increased amount of impulsivity during the before/after point--its extreme even for her.

BusynMember

Did your psychiatrist prescribe the vitamins? I ask because many vitamins DO have side effects, especially gastrointestinal. I got sick as a dog on iron. Vitamin D wasn't good for me either. Even vitamins should not be given without the doctor's ok and monitoring...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm with MWM. Can you move all vitamins/supplements to the evening? I take an Rx multivitamin (prenatal actually LOL), and it makes me nauseous in the morning. Food or not. But if I take it at night, I'm fine...

DDD

I would try the supplements at night after a bedtime snack and a beverage so they don't hit an empty belly. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps she isn't drinking enough fluid in the morning to wash them down and help them disolve. I'd vote against the idea of sending them with her not only because she might throw up on the bus but also because, at least around here, any pill in a students possession can result in repercussions. by the way, does this happen on weekends too? DDD

yes, all were rx'd for actual deficiencies by actual doctors...i certainly can try the vitamins at night (thank GOD for vacation, just in case it hops her up, lol)...but the focalin is pretty much an am thing. she just might set the record for nighttime pills if i try that.

ita that they can make you nauseous and i really was convinced it was B-12, which is notorious for it, but we are definitely sure today it was strictly the focalin--she never even got anything else in her mouth.

i re-gave them at 11am and it was fine. so far anyway.

:sigh: if *i* were her, i think i'd only be medication compliant only so long....and clearly, thats not an option here.

buddy

Vitamins make me ill. No matter what I do.... until I paid for very expensive, no additive etc. vitamins and then I took them mid day at lunch because night gave me heartburn and morning was too empty a stomach even with breakfast. Maybe just do one vitamin per day for a few days to see if any ONE of them is the problem. Just a thought since a day or two without a vitamin wont probably change much, right?

DammitJanet

Is her VitD the rx type? If so is it the one time a week pill in the 50,000 mgs. That is what I take. I take it on Wednesday. And I take it at night. I would imagine just a regular multivitamin could be taken at night. I would try fish oil in a different type...have you tried the gummy type fish oil things? Those could probably be taken at night too.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Confuzzled--

It's probably just too early for her digestive system. I'm the same way...if I eat right after waking, it will come right back up.

If she really has to take the medications in the morning...try having her get up even earlier. Let her stomache have a chance to "wake up" a bit longer before you try to put anything in it.

Good luck!

thanks everyone--daisy is probably right, that its just too early for her.

its a hard one--she's already up at the crack of dawn...heck, i dont think *I* can get up any earlier either.

if school started around 9am or so we'd both be human! :smile:

Methuselah

Peanut butter, baby! The fat and protein does wonders! Have your difficult child eat a spoonful or some on crackers when he takes the medications, and it will curb it SIGNIFICANTY. The peanut butter trick worked wonders when difficult child 2 was on Strattera and when I had to take Wellbutrin. If I didn't eat a spoonful when I took the pill, I was horribly sick.

ready2run

i can't take vitamins in the morning either, or eat most things. i can manage a celexa during times when i go on them briefly(as needed) but not vitamins. i could not even handle taking them when i was pregnant, i would throw them up right away each time.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry she is doing this. I have done it since my teens. Vitamins are esp the worst but sometimes even food makes it happen. I finally, in my late teens, decided that those people who kept saying that you just HAD to eat by this time or by that many hours after you got up just didn't have my body. It was esp hard for me because I was severely underweight not because a body image related eating disorder but because my body literally did not process the feeling of hunger appropriately. I don't remember EVER being hungry before I got preg with Wiz, neither does anyone else who knew me then.

I don't know if she has issues like I did, but my docs did tell me during my teens to eat wehn it occurred to me regardless of what school said - and they made school deal wtih it.

Has she been checked for an ulcer? For YEARS my brother would eat, down vitamins, go to school/work, yak it ALL up (usually in the bushes, lovely wasn't that?) and then wonder why nothing stayed down. We thought it was the quantity for a while (half a box of cereal, quart of milk, quart of coffee) but even when it was just a little bit (normal serving) it came up. Finally he was diagnosis'd with an ulcer and treated with appropriate antibiotics and stomach medications and it stopped. Now when he starts getting upset stomaches in the morning his little girl pesters him until he gets medications for it and it is always an ulcer caused by bacteria.

InsaneCdn

Well... I'd be trying all the "morning sickness" tricks.
Like:
- eat (not medications! real food) before you get up. As in, whole-wheat crackers and a glass of juice, or something like that. Get the digestive system going first.
- track down some traveller's candy and have her take that along with the medications - with doctor's permission, of course. Travellers' candy is very high in pure ginger - a known and proven anti-nausea agent that is also proven safe to use during pregnancy... You can find them in health food stores if the regular pharmacy doesn't cary them. (ginger ale is way too mild to be of any use... pure candied ginger works just as well as the candies, but pure candied ginger is really, really strong.)