Ticks!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yesterday on her way home Nichole found an engorged tick on her lap, nearly made her wreck the car. She tossed it out of the window. She had no clue where it came from......

This morning we're talking on the phone and suddenly she's freaking out saying something about Oliver having a blood clot in his mouth..........she dug it out........then thought it might be a paint ball (her husband had been paint balling recently) and to her horror discovered it was a fully engorged tick. She then went to check her new pup........found one in his arm pit and removed it.

So I examined (I thought) Rufus and did find one latched on to his arm pit. I removed it without much fuss from him. He was playing on the floor this afternoon and I spotted what looked like (sort of) food or whatever, went to pick it up and it had legs........and that dude died. Yup. Fully engorged tick. Checked him over again. Kept looking at that huge tick trying to figure out wth it came from without me seeing it..........

This evening Nichole called and said to check his inner ear. She discovered another one on her pup in there and removed it.

Sooooo I look into Rufus' ears. He has multiple ticks, poor lil guy one is enormous and down in the canal itself. eeek! :faint: But that certainly explained why we weren't spotting them prior to them dropping off.......

So with Travis' help, I removed the ticks from the poor lil guy's ears. The huge one that was way in the canal.....dropped off as we were doing so, so thankfully I didn't have to attempt it. (they fully engorge in 15 hrs and then lay up to 5-6k eggs!!) I wanted them GONE!

I will have the vet check to make certain all are gone and he will go right on to the Revolution to keep them away. omg Breeder has been contacted as she's a friend of easy child's.......and since they were in the ears, evidently missed them........so she could treat her dogs and the other pups........and her kids too probably because they've spent a LOT of time with the pups. In her defense........they live in the country.

I'm just glad we caught them as they dropped off before they could lay eggs. Maggie is tick free as is Bruce......and both are starting up their seasonal Revolution too.

But now I have a serious case of the heebie geebies. I get so much as a tingle on my skin and I'm checking for a tick. ew ew ew ew ew

Good lord. Rowdy lived outside for 14 yrs and never once had a tick........I don't even think he had fleas. We sprayed down his kennel with this flea tick spray and that stuff worked, also kept away those biting flies. And I certainly hope I never have to deal with one again. ick ick gross

Calling the vet first thing in the morning and hoping maybe they'll have a slot to fit the dogs in, especially Rufus. I think this explains why he's been sleeping most of the time.......I know they sleep a lot at this age but he just boom he's tired and falls over dead asleep, out cold for a few hours. His gums are somewhat pale.......so vet might need to give him something.

Last year was a baaaaad flea year. Maybe this year it's gonna be ticks?

buddy

Oh IC (are we related?)

Ticks just gross me out. I'm starting JJ on his preventative...not much chance of ticks with all the snow.....lol.

DammitJanet

Hound, can you get your revolution without a rx? We cant down here. I have to wait until next month to get Abby her's and I cant put the other two on it because I cant take them to the vet for the heartworm check up so they will go on Frontline or something like that. I wish we could get Revolution without the Rx.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, I dunno. I pick mine up at the vet........no one else sells it locally, and our vet sells flea/tick treatments about 1/3 cheaper than retail. I can ask though. If so I'd need the dogs weight.

BusynMember

Wow. I hate, hate, hate ticks (shudder). Not to mention they can cause Lymes.

Although tomorrow will be the first day over 40 since last November, I think I'll start my kids on flea/tick medications too. We use generic frontline. What's Revolution?

There are a lot of ticks on the walking trails so the dogs do get ticks, from their tick, and tack to their toes. (This one is worse than ICs).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Revolution is a topical medication that kills fleas, ticks, heartworm, all other types of worms, and heart worm, plus ear mites all at the same time. I discovered it when Betsy was allergic to frontline. Love it. :)

DammitJanet

From what I understand Revolution is not given by weight but...Abby is about 60 lbs now I guess. Barney is a beagle...who knows. And Buddy is 5 or 6. barney is a medium sized beagle that is of normal sized but I cant weigh him because I cant catch him. He and his sister got free from their pen outside and now LuLu is gone so Barney has taken up with Abby. TG Abby is fixed!

BusynMember

Lisa, is it less toxic than frontline? More effective? Cheaper? Cheaper and effective are always a good combo here :) I guess we have to start heartworm too pretty soon if the quitoes start marching home again. Gawd...I hate bugs. That's one reason I could never live where there is no winter. The bugs never die and we get no break from them!! I need that break.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
At my vets? It's MUCH cheaper, very effective (never had an issue with it not working even in bad flea/tick years)........... and when you consider all the things it does, even if it is a bit more expensive than other flea/tick medications, you're getting so much more bang for your buck and saving money by not having to buy all those other products for ear mites, worms, heart worms and such.

I pay 18.00 a dose. For all that? And I only have to remember one medication per animal cat or dog? Oh, heck yeah! More than worth it to me. :)

But around here it's cheaper than the other flea / tick medications.