Tics, some sort of siezure, or jus a stimulant?

Steely

Buddy TDK symptoms can become permanent. If Q or any difficult child has a TDK side effect from an AP you must call the psychiatrist ASAP. I have a friend who is 50 and has permanent akasthia (sp?) from taking APs for 10 years.

BusynMember

Buddy, I think parents often DON'T look at the medications enough. Often the medications ARE the problem. Trust me, I've taken enough of them and so has my son. The longer somebody is on an AP, the more likely the person is to develop TD, which looks like tics. Although the medications can sometimes help our kids, none of them come without risks. My son started getting these tics when he took both Risperdal and Zyprexa and the psychiatrist took him right off of them...TD can become permanant.

I was in a psychiatric hospital three times before I was stable. At one time there was a young man there who had to keep holding up his head and it jerked from side to side. Since I was one of the non-psychotic patients (lol) the psychologists and techs liked me and often talked to me. I asked why this patient kept jerking his head and was told "Oh, it's a medication reaction." I don't think that in 2011 anyone would have even given me that much information on another patient, but they did back then. I realize now he was probably on an AP. However, being so long ago, it was probably Haldal or Thorazine. But the new aps can cause the same stuff the old ones do...they are just less likely to do so. Doesn't mean it never happens though. I was in a very highly rated teaching hospital and a lot of the patients had schizophrenia. Many also had tongue thrusting, stiff walking, and perm. problems from the APs. It was really sad :/

buddy

I am pretty sure I never said it was not serious or not to check,lol. I totally agree it could be serious. I was just asking....are the symptoms of TD constant or intermittent? Are there specific things like the tongue issue that are tell tale signs? It can be very helpful to know what to look for. Obviously it is always important to check, but personally I like to know as much info as I can.

BusynMember

Now THAT I can't tell you because I don't know either. I do know with my particular child it started with muscle aches and headaches and lots and lots of sleeping, then the movements started, very "iffy" at first so that I wasn't sure anything was even going on.

DammitJanet

Now that you mention it...I rub my ears and head quite a bit when stressed but I am not on an AP anymore. Just mood stabilizers.

buddy

gosh MWM that must have been scary. I am glad we had to go off them early. Janet, I just dont know what to say....LOL You are a mess, (teasing). I think a really good tropical vacation on a first class travel ticket would do you wonders! A private plane preferably so you can just stretch out and sleep if you want. For sure you need a chef on board. yes, that is the ticket. And by the way, tony is not invited on this one.... I think it should be a spa...not the diet/exercise kind but the massage, pampering, gourmet food kind!