Tigger's first day at new school

JJJ

Of course, he wouldn't get on the school bus :laugh:

He did get in the car and we went to school. I stayed for about 45 minutes and got to meet with the teacher, aide and social worker. Three staff for one little boy!

The room was so sad - no toys, no papers, almost nothing on the wall. The teacher saw the look on my face and said that she had already asked for all the stuff for a normal school room but the last boy she had required that the room be 100% stripped of everything. She seemed happy to be able to have a more normal classroom.

Tigger saw that they were suppose to start with Math today. He explained that he doesn't usually do math first and he thinks it is time for art. (what a stinker! art was an afternoon class at the old school LOL)

He settled in and let me leave. Our Special Education director was there to meet us and she arranged lunch dates for him all week so that he will have peer interaction every day this week. We have another meeting on Monday to clarify all the details now that the new school's staff will have had a chance to get to know him.

All my fingers are crossed!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I sure hope he has a good day and that this new environment is better for him!

Let us know how his day goes :)

JJJ

Teacher called with an update and said he is having a good day, lunch went well and he is actually doing work :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yeah! One day down. When they get the class decorated it likely will make it even better.
It sounds like this could possibly be good, I got my fingers crossed.
He sure is smart!

B

bran155

Good for him. How cute, he wanted art first. Who wouldn't? I would much rather do art than math too!!! lol

I am glad that the teacher called with a positive update. You must be so relieved.

Keeping my fingers crossed as well, and some toes too! :)

JJJ

I just got home from picking up Tigger. First he told me the good things about school (he earned two candy bars, got to draw, likes his 22-yr old aide better than the old ladies(aka teachers)). When we got home he climbed onto my lap and clung for dear life, he didn't like being away from me all day. He said he got to go to real recess with all the 4th graders - I hope that was true as that is huge peer interaction and in an area that he is usually successful.

He started to refuse one assignment but when given 5-minutes to think about it decided it was easier to just do it :)

So far, so good......

gcvmom

Here we go again!
What a great day from the sound of it! I hope it's not just a honeymoon and that things really continue to go well for him. The real test will be how they deal with him on an "off" day, and it will come eventually -- even easy child kids have them!

everywoman

Glad the day went good for the little guy. Hopefully they will get some techniques in place so that when he is mainstreamed again it will work better for him.

TerryJ2

VERY good!

It's a big change for him. And a positive one. He's doing really well. I hope the good reports keep coming!