Tim Tams!!!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I won a pack of Tim Tams a while back and just got them today. OMG..........they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, um Marge? Wanna start your own export business?????

:wink:

Marguerite

I reckon I could. Which ones did you get? Just the plain ordinary ones? They have a sort of butterscotch flavour with the chocolate cream, inside milk chocolate - or my favourite, the double coat dark choc with choc cream and choc biscuit. Then there are the chili choc ones, the mud slide ones, the vanilla/milk choc ones, the berry/dark choc ones - I think there are more all the time.

The ordinary ones - 13 in a pack, from memory (a common trivia quiz question in Australia) but the double coat, they can only fit 11 per pack. Tim Tams first hit the Aussie market back in the late Sixties. The first ones were tasty, but the chocolate kept flaking off. My mother never bought any, one of my sisters brought home an early packet. I would see them in the shops but had no money to buy any. By the time I could afford them they were the same as they are now - wonderful!

You're also supposed to be able to use them to drink hot chocolate through - you bite off the diagonally opposite corners and stick one bitten off end into the chocolate and :censored2: through the other. The biscuit tends to fall apart along the way as the chocolate on the outside and the cream in the middle melts, but it's the latest teen craze in winter down here. I've never got the hang of it - I just keep them in the fridge in summer, they're really like a chocolate bar with biscuit inside.

Glad you like them! Now you know why we've never really taken to Oreos... I mean, they're nice, but they don't come close to Tim Tams!

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
The pack has 11 in it (of which 4 are left....hey, I shared! (2) They are Arnott's and the top of the pack says Enjoyme and then Original underneath. I heard a tantalizing rumor something to do with caramel????? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hot.gif (closest I could find to drooling)

As for the Tim Tams and hot chocolate, I do the same thing with Keeblers Fudge Grahams and milk. You have to be careful and time it just right or you lose half of the cookie in your milk.

Oreos??? We don't need no stinking Oreos!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marguerite

OK, you had the original ones but maybe double coated, hence only 11 in the pack (although I will check, I'm shopping this afternoon - the perfect excuse to buy more!)

I forgot about the caramel ones. They're really delicious. It's not quite flowing caramel, unless the chocolate is also soft. At room temperature the caramel is gooey, but in the fridge it's like toffee. It's the same butterscotch-flavoured biscuit and milk chocolate. The vanilla ones are like this, too - the centre is like a gooey vanilla-flavoured caramel.

We can get Tim Tam ice creams here, Tim Tam balls, and Tim Tam iced chocolate - they just put the biscuits in the blender with the milk, chocolate and ice cream.

Although I do think that's taking it a bit far - I'd rather chew the biscuits up for myself, than have a blender do it...

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Just a quick warning. If you walk into a stateside shop that has a Jewish foods section and ask for 'Tim Tams', you will be directed towards a shelf of little, hexagonal matzah crackers.

They are quite nice with dips and spreads, but certainly would do nothing for a needed chocolate fix.

As another warning. Chocolate covered matzahs, which you can get at some kosher groceries, are disgusting.

toK

Marguerite

Thanks for the warning. You might have to specify Arnott's Tim Tams.

I checked the shelves tonight while shopping - it was a smaller supermarket to the one I usually go to, they didn't have a full range. But the only ones marked "original" are the ones which were the only variety around for decades. So yes, they're the ones you had. And if you liked THEM, imagine how you'd like the gooey caramel ones (yes, that's what they're called); sticky vanilla; latte (I'd forgotten about those) and mud slide, among others.

The original now come in packs of 11. It used to be 13. The others are in packs of 9. About a year ago they brought out all these new varieties, before that there were only original, original dark and dark choc double coat. There were always two less in the double coat ones.

I suspect that they distracted us with the new varieties and shrank the packaging at about the same time (insert Aussie expletive here).

Jewish food can be really enjoyable, they have some good recipes. And some awful ones too, I suspect - same with all cultures. But they should get OUR Tim Tams. I'm sure they're kosher...

Marg

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay in searching for Tim Tams stateside I found they have Arnotts biscuits at World Market. They don't say Tim Tams on the label, is this the same thing?

Marguerite

Unless it says Tim Tams on the label, they could be any biscuits in the Arnott's range.

There are Aussie imitators, especially through the "Buy Australian" promotion. There is an almost identical biscuit called TEMpTIN but you wouldn't find that outside Australia.

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
I left a feedback on Arnott's web site. I got an email back but I'm guessing it's an automatic reply. Maybe, though, they'll send me a pack or two for raving about their product!!! :smile:

Marguerite

They're a big company, it's probably automatic. Besides, Tim Tams have that effect on most people!

Check your PMs, I left some links to where you can get them in the US. Also, do some research on Tim Tam slam. Somewhere there is a video clip of Jennifer Love Hewitt doing a Tim Tam slam on Rove Live on Aussie national TV.

Marg