Time for an IEP?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by Castle Queen, Feb 15, 2011.

  1. Castle Queen

    Castle Queen Guest

    Hey- some quick help needed.

    "Stuff" has transpired this week (will post more later) that has convinced me that Knight's 504 plan isn't worth the paper its written on (which was basically a fill-in- the blank, multiple choice document anyway- the principal had a template she worked off of) I want to try for an IEP. I know its not going to be easy with Knight actually performing proficiently at school ACADEMICALLY, with a few "outstandings" even.

    I know there are sample request letters in the archives of the Special Education forum- found those yesterday. The question I have is, who gets to determine what kinds of testing is done? For example, I think a functional behavioral analysis is key but do I request that or wait for the school to do it?

    Any other advice on how to give my son the best chance at this appreciated!
  2. AnnieO

    AnnieO Shooting from the Hip

    CQ - Onyxx has a behavioral IEP. She was doing well academically (not so much now) but it's a foot in the door.
  3. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    You can request it.

    Your basic letter should higlight the areas that in which he is having difficulty, mention that the 504 accomodations have not proven effective, and ask for a full and complete evaluation of the areas of difficulty including a Functional Behavior Anaylsis. Also include his diagnosis and the name and title of the doctor who diagnosis him.
  4. rlsnights

    rlsnights New Member

    They should give you a form to sign consenting to the testing they want to do.

    Usually it's divided into several different areas and then each kind of testing is checked as being included. Normally the school won't specify the exact tests to be done. They leave that decision up to the person(s) doing the testing, which is actually the right way to do this most of the time. You want the professionals to make their decisions based on a review of his records, any input they have gathered from you and teachers, and from the way your son handles the testing - they need the freedom to pursue something that comes up during the testing that was unexpected or that they think needs additional exploration.

    Anyway, they will give you this form to sign. They will have checked off or written in the areas to be assessed.

    YOU get to add anything you want to that form. :)

    When you write your letter, do as JJJ said - tell them your son's difficulties and why they are interfering with his ability to benefit from his education. If you're not sure about what to write, I suggest you spend some time looking through the archives here and looking at the Wright's Law website for help.

    I personally would not tell them to do a FBA specifically. I would describe his difficulties (briefly) and make it clear that it is his behaviors in/out of school that are disruptive (or whatever) and which concern you.

    Then when the school psychologist or Special Education person calls you to get more info so she/he knows what to put on that consent form, you can tell them your story. Then ask them what testing they are planning to do. If they don't say they're going to do a FBA then you could ask them if they plan to do a classroom/school observation as part of their assessment. If they say no they hadn't planned to do one, you can tell them that you believe the assessment wouldn't be complete without an FBA or similar observational assessment. Hopefully they will take the hint and do one.

    When you get the form to sign, if it doesn't say they're going to do the observation/FBA then you can write it in on the form and they have to do it. At least that is my understanding.

    Good luck,

    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011