Tiredmommy

DammitJanet

Your disaster training post on the good morning thread reminded me of something. You said that you dreaded being stuck inside with an unruly difficult child.

Back when I worked for social services we were mandatory red cross shelter volunteers. Yes I know that is a contradiction in terms. LOL. They made us work the shelters for hurricanes. Well of course, that also meant during hurricanes we had to take our little darlings with us. Now imagine me taking one ADHD and one bipolar kiddo into a shelter with approximately 2000 displaced people during a hurricane in a high school!

It was complete chaos and torture for me. I was supposed to be working. There were way too many hallways for them to run down and classrooms for them to get into. Half the time the power would go out. We never knew how long we would be there. Ugh...I get ptsd just thinking about it. LOL.

tiredmommy

Janet, I try to keep a "mommy" emergency kit next to our emergency supplies: books, paper, crayons, a ball, board games etc. I figure not being driven mad during an emergency is just as important as in every day life! :rofl:

DammitJanet

Oh we tried that but the 2000 people crammed into every nook and cranny were too tempting. Not to mention the various teenagers we had to roust out of dark classrooms to keep the teen pregnancy rate down and the drunken binges going on. Oh...lest I forget...the man who attempted to bring his pet python in in his cooler! In the midst of all this I could be assured to find Corys nose right in the middle.

tiredmommy

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the various teenagers we had to roust out of dark classrooms to keep the teen pregnancy rate down and the drunken binges going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes me laugh, Janet. We're celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the Blizzard of '77 this weekend. Apparently, there was quite a baby boom 9 months after the blizzard hit. I guess that's what happens when the mayor orders everyone to grab a six-pack and stay indoors! :rofl:

DammitJanet

LOL. How funny. They say the same thing happens after the hurricanes too. Sigh...guess people cant figure out what to do with themselves without television!