to my dear friends

Sunlight

the troll (s) did not chase me away, but perhaps helped me know my focus is changing. I am speaking of two posters in particular who made mean comments to me about my son, his condition in prison, them being glad he is suffering, and their lack of compassion for him. that was truly amazing to see people on a support board attacking MY SON!!! I have opened up for years in truth about him and his problems and am stunned that anyone would would attack a man behind bars, paying for his DUIs, and hurt me...his mother...for crying out loud!! how is that supportive??? that is a very hard place to land!

It has made me cry for two days just to say "good bye for now".

I need to learn more about the "ant" that my son is now. he is not ant as I called him when he was skinny and wiggly and running this way and that at age 5.

Tony, as I call him and will call him from this time on, will never live with me again, but let's face it, he is my son for life. Tony is an alcoholic. drunk he is a monster, my worst nightmares come from images of him that way-- sober, he is wonderful, a great cook, so funny he cracks me up, a schmoozer, a good carpenter, so proud of being Italian, (although I am not Italian) I think he at least got those features from me, the laughter and cooking...lmao I once said you could drop him naked in an inner city and he would swagger out with designer clothes and a long cigarette, a woman on each arm. not exactly what I would be proud of, but a survivor in his own way. he will survive and hopefully emerge with his faith restored, and a more close relationship with his true father, God.

for the next two years he will be in a situation I know so litle about. it will take time to learn how it works, what he is allowed, etc. I already know he can only call one person for a few minutes every 4 days. I want to know what he can be sent in mag subscriptions as he is an avid reader. I want to be supportive of his life.

right now he is in camp hill, a place called camp H E L L by the inmates, it is archaic, and horrid. he must be there three months and then will be transferred. PA prisons are not modern, they are mostly holding cells, the inmates can have jobs but most live in fear of being stabbed, many are. there are drugs available in jails and other dangers. I am learning. some might say at least you know where he is..at least he is being fed and has a roof. that is little comfort when I know the company he is forced to keep. he cannot even drink his anxiety away. he said to me that he drank himself right into handcuffs.

I also need to be where I can be me: praying with and for others openly, listening as long as others want to be heard... even if they repeat themselves, spending time learning from parents way ahead of me in this prison stuff. gently taking those behind me on the mountain by the hand or wrapping an arm around a shoulder as I whisper to them that I will be here, dont be afraid.

I will be happy to email with anyone who wants to communicate, just PM me with your address. by next week I hope to have joined the other board and you know it takes up what computer time we have. I spent all my computer time on this board and wish to keep my friends here, but need to walk a mile with people who have made footprints in the snow for me to follow now.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet,

You have always been open and honest, you have spoken to us truely and from your heart. While I have tears running down my cheeks right now, I know you are doing what is best for you and Tony.

I hope I will always remember your warmth and wisdom, and your ability to give the best to your son, whatever you could that would HELP him. I remember you teaching about how to handle the hurts adn the behaviors and remember who is inside that we love.

You have a real gift in being able to see behind the drugs, alcohol and other behavior to the person inside.

I hope the other board is welcoming and loving to you. I will continue to keep you in my daily prayers, and will miss you.

Godspeed, my friend, godspeed.

Susie

May God be with you through your journey.

May Tony see how much he is loved. May it not take you having to light that eternal flame candle under his azz.

Prayers for you always, and a special place in my heart for Tony.

XO

KFld

I just can't help but feeling that his name change from Ant to Tony is really the beginning of a new chapter for both of you. It tells me you are really ready for this change.

Good Luck!! Best Wishes to you and everyone involved!!

DDD

You know my thoughts will be with you and yours, Janet. It has
been such a long and difficult road. Changing gears makes sense
to me. In researching all options for helping my son I went to
the ACLU web site. I believe you sought help from them before.
I am not seeking help so much as insight. Anyway...why am I so
long-winded?...at their site if you click law enforcement issues
(or something similar) they either have formed or want to form
Judicial oversight committees in different communities. As you
know I am an experienced advocate and immediately I thought that
it "might" make a difference for other in the long run. Perhaps
you can consider that as another free time option.

Meanwhile, remember that the door you are closing right now has
an unlocked handle. We will look forward to you coming back in
as often as you can. Hugs. DDD

Sunlight

thanks, DDD and I will look into that option as well. I am not looking to rescue Tony from his actions, but sure would like to see changes in the system. he has spent most of the last 8 yrs in the system and it only made things worse. I dont know why they call them "correctional" institutes. people without kiddos in the system have no clue what happens, time to educate the general public I am sure.

I will be at Barnes and Noble as soon as Tony is allowed books, and will look to send him the Colson one, as well as Osteen's latest. He is permitted books as long as they come direct from those sort of places.

today I mailed him a card with a turkey on the front wrapped in brown paper with mailing labels on it. inside it says " the stuffing will be in the next envelope". he will like that. the other card I bought him to mail in a week or so has a picture on the front of two people holding cans far apart with a string connecting the cans. it says "here I am and there you are...one of us is in the wrong place" I also intend to write him anything I can to send him peace. he is already being punished for a long time and doesnt need the extra pain of no family as well. I am all he has left.

slsh-Sue, I had forgotten all about the "bull" party..thanks for the memories... :smile:

thanks all for your loving words! you have all blessed me by your own lives and words.

Kathy813

Staff member
Janet,

I hope you find what you are looking for and that Tony finally sees the light in prison. I do appreciate your replies to my threads over the years and your insight.

I do have to take exception to the remark about the troll(s). I read all of standswithcourage’s threads and I do not think anyone was out of line. Part of being part of a board like this is that there will always be differences of opinions.

I don’t think being supportive necessarily equates with only saying what the person wants to hear or just trying to make them feel better. Sometimes it means a kick in the pants.

When I first came to the board, kris and witzend often pointed out things that my difficult child was doing that were manipulative and deceitful. Sometimes their posts stung but they were right every time. Suz and Fran have always been straightforward and often provided a swift kick in the pants. Sometimes it was hard to read but it was what I needed when it came to finding the strength to use tough love. Other times they listened to me pour my heart out and provided a cyber shoulder to lean on.

I think that Suz does a great job as moderator. Some of the threads in PE did become cumbersome and needed direction. Suz never told stands that she shouldn’t post ~ just that a thread comes to a natural end and that stands should start a new one instead of going around in circles.

I truly wish both you and Tony the best.

~Kathy

Sunlight

meowbunny...lol that is the site I am joining. been reading it a couple days. very good place. you have to belong there two weeks and make 25 posts before you are truly in, to protect people from being hurt by unkind folks trolling for trouble.

kathy, I was NOT talking about the recent events with stands. I feel at peace with my words on that situation and needed to speak up in response to PMs I had received and in my own conscience... was glad to have the chance to do so. It was my opinion and I was heard, just as Suz was, it is not a popularity contest and I have slept overnight at Suz's house myself shortly after I joined this board. she and I had many late night talks and like many folks have differing opinions on some things and different styles. this is not about that

the trolls I refer to are two people who have bashed my son to bits even though he is already in jail. heartless, unChristian and cruel comments are not appreciated. However, I do feel sorry for people who, in their own pain, stab out at others and I will pray for them. I will edit my post above to that effect so others do not misunderstand that comment.

My heart goes out to you and Tony. Thank you for all the wisdom and kindness you've imparted on so many of us. You will be missed. -Alyssa

Wiped Out

Staff member
Janet,
I rarely check the other forums but am glad I did. You will be greatly missed and I will keep your family in my prayers. Gentle hugs being sent your way.

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm glad that I misunderstood, Janet. I guess it was your reference to being "locked" out of threads that made me think you were referring back to the standswithcourage threads.

I wish you and Tony the best of luck.

~Kathy

K

Kjs

I am sorry you are leaving. I have been scarce on the board also due to such comments.

I have not posted to you, but have gained so much knowledge from you.

sometimes our precious children make poor choices, or just have created a reputation and being in the wrong place at the wrong time..with the added reputation becomes a bad outcome. Hard to grasp the thought sometimes because we know our children best, they have such a kind heart, bright smile, and good intentions and just need to direct their energy in a better direction.

Reading through the posts, I have also seen a lot of judgement. I come here for support, not judgement.
Pray that you and Ant find peace.

Tony's mom, I sure will miss your comments and insights. I hope you find and provide good support and make many friends on the board you are joining, as you have helped many people here, myself among them, and I hope you will be a frequent visitor here and keep us posted on Tony's journey through life and "the system".

amstrong

I have been away for a time-really busy with work I was so sorry to read that you are leaving us. I will miss you. You have been an inspiration to me. I will keep you and Tony and your family in my prayers.

Take care and please come back!
Hugs,

Irene_J

I will miss you. I first came to this Board when your son had pawned your then-husband's ring and had stolen your car. I have always admired the way you shared your difficult child's ups and downs. Although I have shared many situations with my difficult child, I could never have been brave enough to share all that you have in trying to be helpful to others.

And I agree that sometimes the tone of certain posts is not supportive. It seems sometimes that a board member has to get to the same point in one thread that it took years for the other posters to get to. And if someone is PMing cruel comments to you, it goes against everything we come to this board for.

Please return occasionally with an update.

KFld

You are a wonderful mom. I believe your strengh and support will help Tony through the rough years ahead of him. How could he not be o.k., having a mom like you.

Goodbye for now Tonys'mom :smile:

Hope to see great updates now and then.

judi

Janet - I just wanted to let you know that I too have felt a need to move on. I truly do know your feelings. Our kids scare me - lol! I remember when I first came here, January 2001 and found folks with kids in their 20's and 30's and it scared me. Now I'm one of those parents and it still scares me - lol.

Please take care - know you will be in my prayers. judi

Ephchap

Janet,

I landed here right after you did. We've all been through a lot together, that's for sure.

A mother's heart never stops hurting when her child is hurting. My heart goes out to you, with all you've been through.

I remember all too well the fear when they sent my barely 17 year old difficult child to adult jail, and fortunately it was only for 5 days (though the prosecutor wanted him to go for a minimum of two years).

I can't imagine what you're feeling right now and understand your desire to find a place where others that have been down this road of having their adult son/daughter incarcerated. They can share their experience with you and hopefully it will help you get through this.

Meanwhile, take care of you, and enjoy that adorable grandson!

Hugs,
Deb

Chele

I must say that I agree with everyone else. I am even new here and you have touched my heart with all our posts that I have read from months ago.
I understand you need support that is closer to your situation but at least touch base with us and let us know how it is doing.

Best wishes to you and Ant.

Chele