To my East Coast Sisters...

Mom2oddson

Praying that all of you will be safe during Earls visit. The radio stations on the West Coast are making his visit sound very, very scary. Be careful. Be safe. Know you are all in my prayers.

tawnya

I was thinking the same thing this morning when watching the news. I thought of everyone I know that lives on the East Coast.

Batten down the hatches and keep yourselves safe!

DammitJanet

Yes, I was going to come on here today to say that I hope everyone from the Outer Banks NC on up to LI, NY stays safe. Doesnt look like its going to be a very sunny Labor Day for the coast line thats for sure. Tony is working on the coast near Jacksonville NC and said it started getting windy and dark about noon today.

We know the next one isnt gonna come close but the one after that is looking iffy for heading at us. Oh joy.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am watching the weather right now and they keep changing it. I hope all of you are spared from any of the effects.
Stay safe. If we don't hear from you all this weekend

TerryJ2

Thank you. I suppose I should put the lawn ornaments in the garage ... but we've been taking it easy. It looks like Earl will skirt us and we'll get a bit of rain and wind but not much more.
Earl is arriving just in time for us to test out our new gutters, drain pipe and window caulking. ;)

Lothlorien

We put our pool stuff and outdoor furniture away. Took the canopy down, which I think I will miss the most, since husband won't take all that time to put it up again until next summer.
I'm not that close to the shore. We'll probably get some strong wind and rain, but nothing too severe. My parents live a few blocks in from the beach, but in all the years, they've never had any issues with water or damage. The actual streets really close have been flooded and sand dunes cover cars, but never reached where my parents live.

Stay safe. It's a CAT 3, so that's better than was anticipated.

TerryJ2

I don't understand this. The Doppler radar shows the storm directly over the Outer Banks, with obvious hurricane clouds moving across 1/3 of SE VA.
But it's not even raining out.
Not that I'm complaining, mind you ...

DammitJanet

Well, the pics on the weather channel showed that the outer banks and that area got hit hard enough to flood and take out power. Luckily they are pretty used to all that and do an amazing job of handling storms. I was out on 95 as low down on it as I live in NC and the electronic signs were flashing that you could not head to the NC coastal areas, evacuations were underway.

It looks like the storm has emergency staff at the ready in Difficult Child, Maryland, NY, RI, Mass and Maine. Jamie was supposed to have a 4 day weekend but they put him on standby in case they had to open animal shelters.

TerryJ2

It's always best to be prepared for the worst.

I heard that the Outer Banks should have power again tomorrow. Don't know if the roads will be passable, though.