To those who helped with the translation sample

Malika

I heard back from the publisher today - they have decided to commission another translator to work on the book. I am disappointed in that it was a very big, lucrative project, but relieved in that the book itself I found really silly and badly-written - and it's never a good idea to translate something you are out of sync with... One of the comments of the publisher in her feedback was that it did not feel American enough! This is no-one's fault - you all chipped in with your various suggestions and ideas but no one could rewrite the whole thing with an American mindset (though HaoZi tried her damndest :) )
Anyway... win some, lose some - I get paid a small something for doing the sample and I hope you all found it an interesting experience. Thanks again for your generous help.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
in that the book itself I found really silly and badly-written

OK, good, then it wasn't just me that was confused by the storyline.

I figured somewhere along the line, she'd pull a gun out of her purse and shoot the poor Japanese guy. because his breakfast sandwich was too greasy or somesuch...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Step

Well at least they'll pay you for what you did.

It was sort of fun to do..........even though I didn't do much. lol

I just don't see how they're going to "americanize" it anymore without totally losing the whole storyline due to the setting ect...........but guess that's just me?

H

HaoZi

Really, that they would publish that in the first place the way it was sent to them is proof enough that the publisher is a few crayons short of a box. The fact that for some reason it sells well just flat out worries me, and I came away with a better understanding of why editors drink.
We'll be here to try again next time, hopefully they'll send better material for you to work with!